Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not everyone who owns this game has expansions. Especially given the price this game generates on e-bay, some are lucky to own just that.
If you've followed my previous thread you'll see I'm on a mission to win with just what's in the box and not using any house rules.

My question is, How many of you out there play it like that or does everyone use house rules? And if you do play it like that, how often do you win?

I don't have anything against house rules, I don't think I have ever played "Zombies" more than once with standard rules, but at least it's winnable with those rules, just kind of a meh! experience.

Secondly, or rather thirdly, Is there any one who payed big bucks for this game after reading all of the glowing comments and felt just a little burned?

And lastly, Is there anyone else who's game has sat on the shelf, like mine, because they were disappointed with the game. Yet every once in awhile yank it out and somehow hope it will get magically better.

Warhammer Quest will probably always be a solo experience for me and after I finally get one win under my belt without bending the rules, I'll probably play it with nothing but house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I only own the base game and really like it. The only problem I find is that it is so tough starting out. if I houserule it at all it is to give each hero some bandages at the beginning. Otherwise my first adventure seems to consist of going into the dungeon, tryign to kill the first group of monsters, then running to a settlement to get some healing so I stand a chance next time.

Been a while since I played... But I like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the base game. I have my sights set on one or two of the extra characters. But thats about it as the game as is does what I want. Which is a solitaire play.

I use the rules un-modded for the most part unless Im testing out some new approach for group play, Which is few and far between.

With group play we adapt the previously mentioned extra potion rule and I may introduce next time the 1 bandage & provision idea to increase survivability.

The only real rule I have is that if I draw Ressurection as the wizard starting spell then I redraw. Im playing to have fun rather than a study in futility. I only accept it on start when Im feeling really confident or wanting that extra challenge as that one spell, or more aptly the lack of real healing spells, can make things exponentially more difficult.

Usually if I take ressurection then I swap in the Dwarven slayer for the regular dwarf for that extra firepower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Secondly, or rather thirdly, Is there any one who payed big bucks for this game after reading all of the glowing comments and felt just a little burned?

Yes and no. First time I played it I thought "That's it? I payed 150 dollars for this?". But the game has grown on me and I'm glad I bought it now. You need to play it a few times to discover the full potential. Always played solo though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cdwalkley wrote:
I only own the base game and really like it. The only problem I find is that it is so tough starting out. if I houserule it at all it is to give each hero some bandages at the beginning. Otherwise my first adventure seems to consist of going into the dungeon, tryign to kill the first group of monsters, then running to a settlement to get some healing so I stand a chance next time.

Been a while since I played... But I like it a lot.

You know, I never thought of that. I must be seriuosly mentally challenged. But that's a decent idea. Run in get some gold and get back out. It would probably take quite a bit longer to build up that way but your survival chances would be greatly improved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 'Fleeing the Dungeon' seems to be the norm in the first level when the going gets tough. And a trip to a Settlement does nicely if you manages to grab a little gold in the process...

The only house rule i use at Level 1 is maxing out the Starting Wounds of the Warriors. After that, though, we play the Wounds as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. The first session I ran with a group and they got hammered on the way out. The second session they went in, killed a few monsters, and rabbited. I asked what they were doing and turns out the player who was leader played a-lot of Rogue-likes and this was a survival strategy in those. And far as he was concerned - this was a board version of a Rogue-like.

Which was where I was introduced to the game being viewed as such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I haven't done to many adventures with the 4 standard heroes however I do have memories long ago of a single successful attempt at a one off dungeon. Outside of that even with expansion heroes there have been very few times that I remember being victorious at the first dungeon. Many an escape attempt has been made.

If you are going on to play all the rules out of the box with a campaign no matter how awesome you're heroes become once in a while you will still be forced to turn tale and run.

Quest is not an easy game to beat but to me at least that's why I like it. When you do manage to get by with 1 or 2 wounds left you really feel like you accomplished something instead of some co-op games that become stale and easy after a few games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
If you've followed my previuos thread you'll see I'm on a mission to win with just what's in the box and not using any house rules.

My question is, How many of you out there play it like that or does everyone use house rules? And if you do play it like that, how often do you win?

Got it on ebay for about £50 intact. Have the rules for all the extra characters but rarely use them, so most sessions are with the 4 basic heroes. Had one solo session with just the Bretonnian Knight alone and got hammered repeatedly - was still fun for me but it sounds like you're playing to win. This game is hard. But running away is definitely a good option if you want to survive. We only tend to do that with characters that are growing in experience. If it's a first time adventure we just plow on till the end or doom as there's nothing to lose.

But once you do win and bag some decent treasure, it starts to get much easier. Just get to that village and stock up on bandages as soon as you can!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's my plan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M P
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our only house rule is to let the Wizard choose his spells, which means that he takes Healing Hands every time (the Attack and Defence spell aren't quite as important). Healing Hands ensures that most turns he can spend 2 Power and restore 1 Wound to every ally on the current board section. It's slow-going, but when you're in a pinch that can make sure that everyone is back on their feet at the end of a turn... provided the Wizard didn't die. It also lets him slowly heal everyone back to full Wounds while they're walking down long corridors.

We win our first mission about 50-70% of the time, but not much more than that. I've only been lucky enough once to get a party up past Battle-level 5. Before the group starts getting magic items & weapons to help them out, and before they go up in Battle-level their chances of surviving seem slim. Bad play choices and luck are major deciding factors for a party's survival through the first few games we have found.

~N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.