• [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hideous and drags with 7-8. Don't go above 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
It is hideous and drags with 7-8. Don't go above 6.

really? Wow, thanks for the warning..I will steer clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen 6-player games go over 4 hours. I can't imagine what 8 or 10 would be like.

Finding the sweet spot for number of players for Illuminati can be difficult, and is likely dependent on the group of people you play with. You pretty much have to have three, but I wouldn't recommend more than five.

Don't let our nay-saying stop you from trying, though. Let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, 4-5 is the sweet spot. 3 isn't really enough, and 6+ drags the game down (unless *EVERYONE* knows the game, and even then, 6 is the upper limit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
3 isn't really enough

Seconded. Three players is more like a way to pass the time than really play a game of Illuminati with dealing and treachery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 4 works best because 3-player can become 2-on-1 rather easily. 5 is okay if everyone is experienced, but any more and the game screeches to a halt with having too many opponents and back-room negotiations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oliver !
msg tools
I only agree in part with the posts on this topic. 3 players is a non-game, for sure. It can be entertaining, but usually tedious, since it is basically a constant rotation of 2 players ganging up on a third. Not enough complexity to it. While a "regular" game of 4 players is much more fun, I definitely prefer 5 or even 6 players. As for 7 or 8 players, I agree that these games tend to be much longer and potentially more intense, but, if the group is composed of people who get along and really like to game, they can also be a lot of fun. A dizzying array of treachery, schemes, deals, and manipulation occurs in the larger games. Hard to schedule, and sometimes exhausting and not a good idea, but it can be a blast.

In fact, a group of us are eventually planning on having a crazy 10 player game using each illuminati, as well as the hidden illuminati variant. We will be starting around 11 am in morning, with plans for an all-day event, and plenty of food and beverages on hand. We've decided that the basic victory condition will be controlling 7 groups and everyone's base illuminati income will be increased by 7 MB (we're debating increasing it by 9 MB), subject to the hidden illuminati rules. In the beginning of the game, everyone will also write down some notes on a piece of paper and put it in their pocket:
1. Their UFO special victory condition, in the event that they start with the UFOs *or* become the UFOs;
2. Which illuminati they switch with in the event that they play the Unmasked special card (we've decided that playing the Unmasked special card results in you trading illuminati (but not power structure or MB) with one player, since there won't be any out-of-play illuminati to switch to; to mitigate the power of such a move, players will select the illuminati they can switch with at the beginning of the game).

Generally, we budget an hour per player to estimate the length of the game, based on our style of play. I've seen a 6 person game end quickly in hardly any rounds and a 5 person game take many, many hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've not had problems with 7-10 players. Sure, it helps if everyone is experienced, but I've found that when everyone loves the game, we don't mind if it takes a bit longer to finish. Then again, we're old school gamers that are used to 4+ hour long role playing game sessions or very long games of Junta, Titan, etc. Somewhere along the years folks got themselves in a hurry and just couldn't bring themselves to play a game longer than an hour, hour and a half. The only difference to me is, as opposed to any regular game night where you might get to play two or three games, you're only getting in one grand game of Illuminati, which shines the more players there are. Even more backstabby goodness with all sorts of deal-making and under-the-table conspiring, which is core to the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with 7 and it took way to long for your turn to roll around. You'd do much better breaking off into two games at that point. Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advantage of Illuminati is that you continue playing and interfering even when it's not your turn. I've played many 7+ games and never had a problem getting bored as I have to pay attention to cards drawn, actions taken and every attack others make. The game keeps my attention even when it's not my turn (unlike many Euro games which are essentially solo games played with others).

That being said, the more players, the longer the game. In Illuminati, it is rare that someone gets kicked out of the game. Therefore, even as the game progresses, the turns tend to take just as long as at the beginning. So the games tend to be long. However, since I'm actively participating in every turn including opponents' turns, I don't mind.

So, 7+ player games take a long time to play, but it's interesting time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel N Dirt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, it depends on the group of people. I would say that if you want to have a large game, you implement some sort of way to end discussion. That way, someone won't filibuster the game. My group usually plays with some sort of put up or shut up rule. Also, you might want to clarify the trading rules beforehand, as the game is likely to be won by two people, not one.

Illuminati can be fun with a lot of people. Also, if the person is annoying enough, the group can gank someone if they want to. I've seen it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.