Popular Tags: [View All]
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i was thinking, and i think this is the right forum for this. It isnt a chit chat topic, thats for sure.

Am I the only one who gets starkly clear vivid dreams of people you have not met. And situations that have not yet occurred. More often than not these situations will occur. And it is always unsettling.

I would not say its the gift of prophecy. But its a uncannily accurate sense of deja-vu, with people I have not yet met, and places I have not yet been.

I also get these weird urges to call/contact my friends. Because I know something is not right with them. And I am correct.

So RSP, am I odd (ok, we know I am, but really.) Thoughts on deja-vu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, a common phenomenon.

Described here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The proof is in the pudding. If reality bore out my dreams, I would pay careful attention to my dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Verify the occurance.

There's a fascinating science to dreams.

One wild little tidbit is Shadow Confabulation.

The deal is this:
You dream you are being chased. Its a shadowy figure. Let's say Mr. X.

Mr. X is a mental placeholder. Your mind only conceives of Mr. X, not an individual.

Then some jerk cuts you off on the freeway. It's Mr. X!

Now the mind does some totally phenominal gymnastics. It goes through your memory banks and replaces the placeholder of Mr. X throughout the day with the image of the guy on the freeway. It goes so far as to actually alter your memory of waking up and telling you you saw this guy at 8AM in your dream. In truth, your mind has been waiting for a proper image to fill in to the spot.

Insane, right? Your mind actually alters your memory to make the dream occur before the occurance, which it did not. However, being it is your mind, there is NO way to convince you otherwise.

The answer:
start a dream journal. Write some detail. Mr. X had a hat and handlebar moustache. Or you will find he is totally undefined. If he is undefined, write that down.

Now, look at the journal after a month. Then count how many 'predictions' came true. THEN ask if its a prophecy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't you post this thread before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amazing how much can our memories change over time too. I don't remember which book it came from off the top of my head, but I remember reading about an experiment in which, a couple of days after 9/11. A professor asked their students to describe in detail what they were doing when they heard about the planes. He took those short essays, and 4 years later, asked the same questions. Quite a few people gave completely different descriptions of the situation, even though it's one that many would have considered a pretty memorable memory. When confronted with how different the details in the essays where, people went as far as to claim that there must have been a fabrication somewhere, or that they might have misstated things originally, because what they remembered now must definitely be right!

Or at least, that's how I remember the story went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verify the occurance.

There's a fascinating science to dreams.

One wild little tidbit is Shadow Confabulation.

The deal is this:
You dream you are being chased. Its a shadowy figure. Let's say Mr. X.

Mr. X is a mental placeholder. Your mind only conceives of Mr. X, not an individual.

Then some jerk cuts you off on the freeway. It's Mr. X!

Now the mind does some totally phenominal gymnastics. It goes through your memory banks and replaces the placeholder of Mr. X throughout the day with the image of the guy on the freeway. It goes so far as to actually alter your memory of waking up and telling you you saw this guy at 8AM in your dream. In truth, your mind has been waiting for a proper image to fill in to the spot.

Insane, right? Your mind actually alters your memory to make the dream occur before the occurance, which it did not. However, being it is your mind, there is NO way to convince you otherwise.

The answer:
start a dream journal. Write some detail. Mr. X had a hat and handlebar moustache. Or you will find he is totally undefined. If he is undefined, write that down.

Now, look at the journal after a month. Then count how many 'predictions' came true. THEN ask if its a prophecy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not weird. This sort of thing happens in my family all the time, mostly with my sister. She has dreamed the correct winner to the Kentucky Derby 5 times, she dreamed the Challenger Shuttle disaster two days before it happened. She even called me asking what she should do, if she could contact anyone.

Years ago I dreamed that a female news anchor had dies in a car crash. It was so real that when I saw her on the news a few weeks later I was surprised. Two days later she dies in a car crash.

The big is why/how do we dream these things, things that we could not impact or change even if we wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, I hope Toggy doesn't find out about lucid dreams. She would have the power to control all of existence! =-o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with the hypothesis that your dreams are vague enough templates that your brain is fitting them to later events and filling in the details after the fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I would go with the hypothesis that your dreams are vague enough templates that your brain is fitting them to later events and filling in the details after the fact.

Either you're getting paid by the word or didn't want it actually in print that you agree with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Either you're getting paid by the word or didn't want it actually in print that you agree with me.

Maybe he agreed with your first post but not your second or vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I knew you were going to say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
quozl wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I knew you were going to say that.

I dreamed you were going to say that. Jon's mom was there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some ESP and it is totally not while dreaming. My dreams are usually about stuff that is happening or I'm thinking of that day/week/month.

The ESP I have is random and uncontrollable. Sometimes I vividly hear the telephone ring and/or someone speaking to me. A few minutes later the telephone will ring and/or that person will speak to me. I hear people speaking through white noise--vacuuming, dishwashing, etc. I have sensed and hear our dead dog 2 times in two completely different ways, places, and dates. I saw a dead person once.

Many years ago I went semi-frequently to a gambling establishment. I would only place one bet and would usually win. I never knew which game I would bet on or when, I just waited for the "feeling" to hit me.

I could predict a winning car on a gameshow we watched when we were teens, every single day it showed, without 1 mistake.

:shrugs:

The vivid dreams could be something or nothing. I wouldn't stress over it too much as these kind of things are difficult to isolate and/or test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And let's say you want to test/investigate this and start a dream journal and find some conclusive results/evidence. Then what? Is it controllable? Can you predict when it will happen? You'd have to ask yourself what you would gain by knowing if you can "see" the future. Would it add anything to your life? Because the chances are that you won't be able to control it in any useful way.

That's what you should think about. I know you're curious as to whether it is true or not--anyone would be. However, what of it? Maybe learn to accept and live with it.

I don't think about mine until something pops up. I accept it and continue on. :shrugs:

However, I can see how it can be unsettling. Don't let it get to you Toggy. You have a lot of gifts and strengths, play to your strengths and you'll be fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.