Chris Rowe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Not a broad, what game should I get thread but instead I've already got the list down to a select few games. American Revolution is favorite time period for certain but I need to find a game that is solitaire or can be played solitaire (chess versus yourself type game) fairly easily or are specifically designed for solitiare. In addition, I'd like a game that I can replay quite a bit and not be done with after playing a couple of times. Finally, I'm a relative newbie so I'd be afraid a game with a lot of complexity...not that I can't if need be...just a little timid.

Washington's War -- not sure how well this one can be played solo

Hold the Line -- looks pretty simply but also seems playable solo even though it's not designed that way.

D-Day Omaha Beach -- seems to have great reviews and is solo designed. I'm a bit worried about the difficulty level.

Field Commander Rommel -- seems to be solid but I'm not sure it looks as appealing as it might actually be.

World at War: Eisenbach Point or Blood and Bridges -- not at all sure abou this one but it seems to get good chatter. Not sure how solo friendly it would be.

I'd listen to other suggestions but I feel like one of these should be my choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one Ive played is Field Commander Rommel so it gets my recommendation, I feel you cant go wrong with it. Its fun easily accessible rules wise yet is difficult to beat without feeling like its bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't usually recommend a card-driven game like Washington's War for solo play. Knowing what cards both sides have to me spoils the solo play.

The World at War games, however, should play very well solo. Chit draw games are nice for solo play because you maintain the tension of not knowing which side goes next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I'd rank them, given your criteria:

1) Field Commander Rommel; Dan's games are a snap to learn, and he's serious about his solitaire designs.
2) D-Day Omaha Beach; yes, it may be difficult, but from everything I've seen it's rewarding.
3) World at War: Eisenbach Point or Blood and Bridges; Fairly easy to pick up, and the chit-pull activation makes solo easier.
4) Washington's War; and
5) Hold the Line; neither of these strike me as being suited for solitaire play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornet Leader II- easy and lots of fun. Print and play or Vassal available now. Full production on pre order at Dan Versen Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
The only one Ive played is Field Commander Rommel so it gets my recommendation, I feel you cant go wrong with it. Its fun easily accessible rules wise yet is difficult to beat without feeling like its bad.

I completely agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rowe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
ldsdbomber wrote:
what about this one?
Ambush!

It seemed more of an individual soldier game which is probably not what I would enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.