Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got some money in for my birthday (woo, 26?!) and of course my first though was NEW GAME! Problem is, there are so many to choose from

I need to purchase a game that hopefully meets the following:
- 2-6 players (2-4 players may be ok)
- Can be played both as a casual game and as a more complex game
- Wife should enjoy it (see [geeklist=52013][/geeklist])
- $40 or less
- Preferred if it is quick and easy to set up but not required
- Must be purchasable in a brick and mortar store

Some Games that I've had [some] success with:
- Race for the Galaxy
- Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
- Alhambra
- Small World
- Carcassonne: The Discovery

Games I Did NOT Have success with:
- Dominion: Intrigue
- Go
- Lost Cities
- Othello
- Coloretto (this had limited success)

Games I'm thinking about:
- Stone Age
- Wasabi!
- Ticket to Ride (probably won't get as some friends of ours have a copy)
- Dixit (not two players?)
- Shootin' Ladders: Frag Fest

Games I've considered but am against at the moment:
- Catan (we have the card game and have yet to play it)
- Tigris & Euphrates

Thanks in Advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stone age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d also say Stone Age is a good choice from your list.
But if you want somwthing funny (for you wive) but also strategic (for you) have a look at Fiese Kühe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games listed I second Stone Age. I would also throw out for recommendation Citadels. It is a card game with hidden role selection. The game plays well with 2-8.

A co-op game might also be worth considering, such as Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Pandemic are both solid options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Stone Age and Dixit.

They are both different from what you already had success with. Stone Age is a perfect introduction to the worker placement mechanism and satisfies me despite its lightness. Dixit is more like a party game and works great with women and non-gamers. I've always had much success and fun with both games.

Tigris & Euphrates is a heavier affair than all the other games you listed. Buy it if you have 2-3 players willing to commit brain power and who can stand the conflict

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll through in another vote for Stone Age. It's one of our favorites to play. I think it meets all your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
One more notch in the stone age column

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious is a good one.

- 1-4 players
- Casual: Easy to teach and pick up, simple concept, not overwhelming
Complex: The strategy for the game grows as you play it more, especially if you play with the same people. It is amazing to see how different the games between me and my gf are now compared to where we started.
- My gf likes it {we also like Carc, Alhambra, and Small World...We disliked Lost Cities}
- $40 MSRP: $29 w/ free shipping on Amazon
- Contents: Bag of tiles, trays for tiles, scoreboards, gameboard - set up complete
- I've seen it in stores

Enjoy, Good Luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the wife is not into abstracts, thus the Go, Othello failures. Lost Cities might also have failed for too abstract or too mathy.

You should have started with San Juan instead of Race for the Galaxy. It's the much better game for "normal" people, Race is for those experts who've played out San Juan.

I was thinking Stone Age before I even got to your "thinking about it" section. Pandemic is also a good choice.

I'll toss in Finca as well, plays excellent with 2 to 4, fast, attractive, fun.

6 is an awful number for gaming, there are very few choices period, even less when you start adding restrictions like casual, etc. Citadels, Railroad Tycoon, Power Grid are amongst the best for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Citadels and while it's fun, it's also not much interaction. Don't really care for the 2 player variant either.

Pandemic is a game I enjoy, however some friends of ours have it and I'm not allowed to knowingly purchase a game they have

I've been looking at Ingenious but I'm not sure if my wife would like it that much.

Fiese Kühe looks interesting but not sure if a store around me will have it.

Seems like Stone Age is getting the most votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
gogoapoxy wrote:
I have Citadels and while it's fun, it's also not much interaction. Don't really care for the 2 player variant either.

Pandemic is a game I enjoy, however some friends of ours have it and I'm not allowed to knowingly purchase a game they have :(

I've been looking at Ingenious but I'm not sure if my wife would like it that much.

I vote for Stone Age as well. Wasabi is very well made (production value), but I wasn't thrilled by the game play. If you are looking into Ingenious, you may want to consider Blokus if you don't already own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
STONE AGE

OOGA OOGA OOGA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
gogoapoxy wrote:

Pandemic is a game I enjoy, however some friends of ours have it and I'm not allowed to knowingly purchase a game they have

I vote for Stone Age as well. Wasabi is very well made (production value), but I wasn't thrilled by the game play. If you are looking into Ingenious, you may want to consider Blokus if you don't already own it.

I'm going to agree with everything Michael said here. Stone Age rules. Wasabi is a very weak game that is actually hindered by it's gorgeous art, not enhanced by it. And Blokus makes Ingenious obsolete.

Lastly, I'll echo Steven's suggestion of Finca and throw into the ring Caylus Magna Carta and Yspahan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for Stone Age.

Dixit does not play 2, no. If you're okay with that, then I'd recommend it, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dixit looks like a good choice. It is closer to a party game tought, so maybe it won't suit your need. I can't comment on stone age age but I would strongly suggest Finca as a great game the works on all your criteria.

Citadel is also a lot of fun and not that hard to play, be warned that you should never playt it with more then 5 players. 6- 10 takes way too long and some of the caracters start having a weird effect on the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 player games are tough, even 5 player games can be tricky.

Stone Age seems like the best next purchase.

You may want to look into Blue Moon City. It's a pretty fun game. The first few times you play it, it's pretty light. After you know what you're doing, it can become more strategic. I'd recommend watching the review on Board Games With Scott if you are at all interested.

My sister likes the game quite a bit. Most other games I play with her I beat her by a decent margin. Blue Moon City is always close, and each turn is usually pretty rewarding. You basically receive rewards or gifts throughout the game, which keeps the game fun. I introduced it to a couple friends of mine, whom are married, and they both wanted to play it again after their first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Stone Age since I've been wanting it for some time and everyone here told me to My biggest disappointment is that it only goes up to 4 players. Another small issue is that in a 2 player game, the turns are easily predictable. I've not had the chance to try 3-4 players yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.