Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: What do you get when you take four friends and a lot of plastic?
A: A great game of Heroscape.

After some deliberation and finally giving up and paying a lot (see this thread for more information) I am now a proud owner of a Heroscape collection. You could say it has been my holy grail in a way. This might be a bit hard to understand for those of you who have actually been able to get the game from a Wall-Mart or so, but it has been extremely difficult to get here in Finland.

I received my orders and decided it was time to begin playing. I have a bunch of friends who come over every Thursday to play board games. I set up a big map (well, not as big as some of the maps I have seen online) with a ruined keep in the middle and four starting zones. The map was designed for a four player free for all. The idea was to wow my friends by having them see the map and the figures when they walk in and have the reaction described by Christian T. Petersen in the Runewars preview video as “Wow, we’re playing that? Cool!” And that is exactly what happened.

We drafted 500 point armies. Since none of us really knew which figures worked together and which did not we just chose figures we liked the best. The armies looked something like this:

Joni
Doom
Otonashi
Deathreavers
Deathstalkers
Marrden Nagrubs
Blastatrons

Henrik
Major Q10
Spiderman
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (RotV)
Marro Stingers
Tarn Viking Warriors

Mika
Sir Dupuis
Captain America
Izumi Samurai
Zettian Guards

Me
Deathwalker 9000
Agent Carr
Finn the Viking Champion
Moriko
Warriors of Ashra

And with these forces we rushed into battle. The victory condition? Last man standing wins!

Mika’s forces in their starting zone

The battle started badly for me. On the very first activation Mika’s Zettian Guard, powered by both his friend and Captain America left Finn the Viking Champion almost dead. Granted, he would be useful even after he died but it was not the way I wanted to start! On Henrik’s front his Marro Stingers advanced towards Joni only to be almost destroyed by his Deathstalkers. After this it was time to send Deathwalker 9000 forward.

Deathstalkers threaten to overrun Henrik’s position

Deathwalker 9000 launched a deadly explosion special attack in the middle of Joni’s forces hitting eight figures. Sadly I rolled just one skull and only managed to take down one Blastatron. Right now Deathwalker 9000 was more like… just Walker 9000, without the Death.

Deathwalker 9000 surveys the scene of carnage

Doom proved to live up to his name as he fly over the ridge and blasted Agent Carr dead with one attack. Really, Joni rolled four skulls with six dice and I rolled zero shields with four dice. Goodbye Mr. Carr, goodbye 100-points-that-did-not-get-to-even-move-before-they-were-gone! Not only that, but during the whole game Doom managed to use his mind exchange successfully three times, two of them on my Deathwalker 9000.

Henrik’s Viking Warriors advanced towards Mika’s Izumi Samurai and we were all hoping that we would see the showdown between the toughest guys in history.

Tarn Viking Warriors advance towards the Izumi Samurai

The game was in full swing and everyone was having a great time

I sent my Warriors of Ashra forward and engaged Doom. It was a good move in retrospect, since Doom had a hard time killing them and Joni did not want to take his chances and disengage. Despite the numerous attacks they did before they well, the Warriors of Ashra did not managed to wound Doom at all. But they did keep him tied up for a few rounds which was good enough, I guess.

Meanwhile Deathwalker 9000 managed to eliminate most of the Deathreavers that had moved up to support Doom.

Doctor Doom and trouble with women

On the flank between Henrik and Mika the battle of all time (that is vikings VS samurai) was heating up. After a successful berserk charge by the Vikings the battle was on. One samurai was taken down but two of the vikings fell to their counter attack. It was looking like the samurai might have the upper hand.

Their battle was not to be theirs alone though, since both Raelin the Kyrie Warrior and Sir Dupuis joined the fray and engaged each other on top of the ridge.

The Vikings attack the Samurai, only to be cut down by their counter attack ability

At this point the body toll was rising swiftly and it was looking like I might be out of the game soon. I only had Deathwalker9000, Moriko and Finn the Viking Champion left. And Finn was at one life. Moriko had been lurking near the keep and was surprised by none other than Captain America. He managed to take the puny ninja down to one life with his attack. It was really looking tough for me!

Moriko in the ruins

Deathwalker 9000 had scored a lucky hit on Doom, inflicting two wounds. Sir Dupuis finally cut down Raelin and Moriko killed one of the Izumi Samurai. Captain America threw his shield and finished the final Viking Warrior. Major Q10 used his special attacks to full effect, taking down several Deathstalkers and Marrden Nagrubs. Figures were taken off the board really fast at this point!

Mika still had some forces left. These and, well, Captain America.

I was really starting to feel the pressure of having Doom coming from left and Captain America from right. Those Marvel guys were tough! Deathwalker 9000 advanced towards Mika and attacked his Zettian Guards only to have nothing happen. Finn the Viking Champion advanced into the ruins, fearing for his last life.

After Captain America finished off Moriko he engaged Deathwalker 9000 and I was presented with a tough choice. I could either move away from him and take the chances of rolling a skull and dying or attack him and hope his counter attack does not trigger. I opted for the latter only to have the big robot blown to bits after rolling just one skull and Captain America rolling several shields (which is thematically incorrect by the way, he only has one shield, har har har har). Ok, so I was down to Finn the Viking with one wound left. Nice.

The climax

A big climatic battle between Spiderman and Doom was fought on top of the ruined keep. What basically happened after that was this:

Major Q10 and Finn the Viking finished off several squads and Sir Dupuis.
Doom finished off Finn who gave his attack bonus to Spiderman. I was out of the game.
Spiderman finished off Doom. Joni was out of the game.
Captain America finished off both Spiderman and Major Q10. Henrik was out of the game.

And so, Mika was crowned the winner with Captain America, both Zettian Guards and one Izumi Samurai left on the board. Basically he only lost Sir Dupuis and two Samurai.

It was a great game indeed. The smell of battle lingered on long after (actually it was the smell of sweat, but that is pretty gross and I prefer calling it the smell of battle). Everyone seemed to like it a lot and I was happy I did not have to regret spending obscene amounts of money on plastic. I loved it myself too. Sure, the dice and the randomness screwed us a lot but it was pretty even and more importantly - a lot of fun!

Heroscape, the battle of all time indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on getting into Heroscape and having fun with it!
Being from Denmark, I can sympathise with your difficulties in finding places to buy stuff, but since I´ve been into Heroscape for a few years now, I´ve got everything for this wonderfull game...

You might want to check out this italian site, to see if they have something for you:
http://giochinscatola.it/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?...

P.s. If you want more superheroes, and are prepared to be a little creative, check this out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/507342/c3g-worlds-finest...-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in the last few weeks have I found out about this game and I've been getting more and more excited with everything I've seen. The difficulty of finding it had been keeping me back, but this thread just may have tipped the scales in Heroscape's favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a fine report, DeePee, and the pictures were magnificent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent report. I've heard the Marvel guys aren't costed on the same scale as the other Heroscape guys, which could be why they seemed so successful in your game. You might look into this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The costing of Marvels seems to still be debated. I think they are priced according to the same scale as regular scape, and there are a fair number of mixed tournament players out there that seem to agree. I've always felt that even a powerhouse like Captain America or the Hulk can be brought down by a good equal number of points of mixed classic scape.

Obviously if you run crap at the Hulk he's going to crush it, but that's true of high value heroes in regular scape too. You can't come at Charos or Jotun with garbage and expect the odds to be in your favor. If you come at Charos with a well-constructed 210 points, it'll be a fair fight. If you come at Hulk with a well-constructed 370 points, it will also be a fair fight.

That said, my group often removes Marvels from the drafting pool. Not because we find them unbalanced, but because we find their presence in games to be overwhelming. As in the focus of the game becomes "Bring down the Hulk!" rather than a more diverse battle spread out across multiple unit cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.