Aleksander R. Nordgarden Rødner
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
Proud father of Sarah Arwen and Ruth Rose
badge
Would really like to study U.S. History at some point, just to be able to say that I'm a Coolidge student...
mbmbmbmbmb
At this year's Atlanticon, I was introduced to Inn-Fighting, and I took to it like a brawler to a barroom. The mechanics are simple enough to explain in a minute or so, and the game can be played over and over.

Simply put, you play an adventurer (or, more usually, several advanturers) in a barroom brawl. You get action cards that are divided into bystanders and other effect cards. On your turn, you roll the dice, and use whatever action is available.

Speaking of the dice; they are custom six-sided dice, showing icons for ale (a foaming tankard), luck (dice), punch attack (a fist), chair attack (a stool) and power attack (a lightning bolt). One die is red, the defense die.

If you get three or more ale or luck icons showing, you get to take ale or luck actions, but only one or the other, and only one of them per turn. An ale action means taking victory points from the leading player (aka power goal) and healing one of your characters (adventurer or bystander), spilling the rest of the ale on the floor. A luck action means getting another action card.

Attacks go to the left (punch), right (chair) or towards the player with the most VP (power). Attacks that yield 3+ damage, or knock out a character allows the defender to roll the defense die; if you roll successfully; follow the instructions on the cards.

The game offers a nice little meta-gaming effect when played in an Inn, and is a fun way to pass a few (or even a lot of) hours with gamer friends. Inn-fighting relies heavily on the luck of the dice, meaning that you might have the victory at hand, only to lose it because you don't get the amount of dice you need to attack an adventurer.

Now, some people might balk at the luck-aspect, though, to me, in this game, it is just perfect. This is one of those games I knew I had to buy within five minutes of starting to play it, and it'll definitely accompany me to many cons in the future.

It is a shame that WotC has decided to stop the line, as the only problem I see is that it might get stale when you've played a few hundred rounds. Still, at the price it's a steal, and a lot of fun to boot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Would really like to study U.S. History at some point, just to be able to say that I'm a Coolidge student...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few photos from the sessions at Atlanticon:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I explained to my gaming group that the dice are not meant to make this a luck-fest. The brawl is chaos, and there can be very little planning. The dice are fog-ofwar. It is not a strategy game, it is a survival game. Think fast, act fast, do what you can, pass the dice.

Oh and read the text aloud of each attack and defense. The descriptions of WHY you're taking 4 points, or WHY they missed are THE fun of the entire game.

Gerry

eta: I teach it as "you are a table of adventurers sitting in a bar. A fight starts up, and one of your adventurers stands up first. If he drops, another stands to take his place." ghs2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, spot on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the Travelling Minstrel, being hit by a set of flying chairs:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
razumny wrote:
Here are a few photos from the sessions at Atlanticon:

thumbsup for the shirt.

Sounds like a cool game... need to get it, methinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lance klindt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
:meeple: Inn-Fighting

Changing the topic a bit, I finally got to play a real game. March 3rd 2012 a full SIX players.

Wonderful, fast paced, exciting game. Much better than just 3 players

PROs: everyone managed to get about 18-26 pts. at the end which is great. - In fact I might have 5 new people hooked???

Back and forth fun a bit slow around 5 VP much better at 10 VPs and super exciting at the end - anyone could of WON it...

CON: Rules a bit tricky at first I think I have them all ironed out. But it's not super complex or detail game.

My new fav. for now would like to play it more???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.