Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Montgomery
United States
Moraga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the evening begins, it is better to be sitting behind the best player at the table, rather than in front of him/her. That way you get to go first after than player wins. We shift players enough that this is not a large concern.

There are also a number of Dominion cards where seating position is important. But there is only one to date which is universally acknowledged to be important enough to get us to take the trouble to randomize seating and get our lazy butts up to shift seats, regardless of how late it is and how much wine we've consumed.

Drumroll...

And the winner is: Smugglers.

The card is very powerful, potentially game-altering, and certain (strong) players have the reputation of making sure to make it tough on the player behind them to benefit much from it. Other players ignore this consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently in a tournament where seating position was randomized, but for everyday play, it's not that important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If some player feels particularly violated by having Tribute, Possession, Masquerade etc. played upon him constantly, than I guess changing seating
position is ok.

But so far I've never had an issue with people wishing to change seating order. Having the winner of the last game play as the last player in the next one is a regular thing we do however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In casual play? You are where you are. Plus, where we play, moving around the table isn't worth the trouble.

We haven't implemented it yet in tournaments, because we randomly select a first player each round. Only one time has someone shown a specific interest in sitting somewhere relative to one of his opponents, and it didn't cause much of a kerfuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edge wrote:
But there is only one to date which is universally acknowledged to be important enough to get us to take the trouble to randomize seating and get our lazy butts up to shift seats, regardless of how late it is and how much wine we've consumed.

Drumroll...

And the winner is: Smugglers.

I don't see why the seating position would be important for the Smuggler.
I have frequently seen a player smuggle the very same card he smuggled the previous turn because everybody else smuggled the same card as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:

The same reason why people feel "threatened" by Tribute or Possession, even though when you get down to it they are not being hurt in any way (and are in average being actually helped a bit).

I've seen players seriously getting pissed with their left-hand opponents constantly smuggling a good card. I guess they feel they "worked hard" to make a good deck and gain some neat card in particular and now this guy to the left is leeching off them with that stupid cheap card.

I don't mind this however - I'm actually loving it. Dominion is a pretty solitairish game, so any kind of emotional involvement with whatever other folks are doing on their turns is usually a welcome thing to experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Great Dane wrote:

The same reason why people feel "threatened" by Tribute or Possession, even though when you get down to it they are not being hurt in any way (and are in average being actually helped a bit).

I've seen players seriously getting pissed with their left-hand opponents constantly smuggling a good card. I guess they feel they "worked hard" to make a good deck and gain some neat card in particular and now this guy to the left is leeching off them with that stupid cheap card.

I don't mind this however - I'm actually loving it. Dominion is a pretty solitairish game, so any kind of emotional involvement with whatever other folks are doing on their turns is usually a welcome thing to experience.

I would much rather my RHO be someone who buys Harems, even though he knows I have Smugglers, than someone who buys a Village every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Montgomery
United States
Moraga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
Great Dane wrote:

I would much rather my RHO be someone who buys Harems, even though he knows I have Smugglers, than someone who buys a Village every turn.

Exactly.

Or someone who counts the deck of his RHO to keep track of when the Smugglers might be coming.

The game is a race. Smugglers can help win that race. Grabbing cards willy-nilly is not a path to success, but picking up Bazaars and Wharfs for free can make a big difference. In a game that also includes Embargoes, well, even better.

Masquarade is kinda silly, and Tribute is just an attack card. There are lots of other cards where seating position matters which we ignore. It's the potential economic benefit and the way that some players adjust their strategies that gets Smugglers to rise to the level of actually standing up and changing chairs.

Radical, I know. But even for casual gaming we are pretty serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edge wrote:

Masquarade is kinda silly, and Tribute is just an attack card. There are lots of other cards where seating position matters which we ignore. It's the potential economic benefit and the way that some players adjust their strategies that gets Smugglers to rise to the level of actually standing up and changing chairs.

Radical, I know. But even for casual gaming we are pretty serious.

What.. the... hell are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is well founded and I don't understand why people are arguing with it. If you buy lots of Smugglers, it's way better to sit after a player who will ignore that than someone who will go out of their way to reduce your access to cards you want. Same is true with Tribute and Great Hall, some other combinations, but this is certainly significant.

That said, if you care then randomize seating, and if not then don't, it's easy to address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I just play. We're there to have fun. Everyone just takes a seat as convenience dictates. We randomize start player. Someone wins. Hooray for that person. We move on. If we play again, we randomize start player for the next game and repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Mo
msg tools
Our group plays the left of the previous winner starts first.

Otherwise, no randomizing of seats. It's far too troublesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.