Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this isn't the forum to post this in, but I have a question. I purchased an item in the Marketplace and before I did the seller confirmed that day that the item was the edition I wanted. So I bought it. Then, for the next three days I sent the seller messages asking for his address so I could prepare to pay him. No reponse at all. After day three, seller didn't confirm and the deal is gone.

However, the same game came up for sale on day two at HALF THE PRICE and brand new, but being obligated to purchase the other copy of it I passed. The newly posted game lasted about 2 hours.

What do you guys do in this situation? Is there a way to rate seller's actions? Am I in the wrong for being upset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I think the deal goes away when someone buys it.

Check that person's latest login date. If they have logged in recently, then there might be a glitch and I think you can go ahead with buying the new item.

If he/she has not logged in since then, real life might have interfered, creating a more ambiguous situation for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is just it... the 2nd game has come and gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the warning, you are no more obligated to buy something legally if nothing has changed hands than the seller is to sell it.

You should have politely informed the seller you changed your mind and bought the cheaper listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the seller hasn't logged on in several days. Hopefully, when he does he will repost the game and we can try the sale again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? It seems that the way the marketplace works here is that the buyer makes a commitment to buy, then the seller confirms the sale, then you pay. So if he bought it, I would still hold him liable unless he told me he changed his mind before I confirmed it. I know the 3% BGG charges isn't much, but I've had a few people back out after confirmation, and I find it very annoying.

Rokkr wrote:
Despite the warning, you are no more obligated to buy something legally if nothing has changed hands than the seller is to sell it.

You should have politely informed the seller you changed your mind and bought the cheaper listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The seller, in the OP, did not confirm.

If there was no confirmation, it seems like it'd be very easy to message the seller and get the transaction canceled. Really, you should have bought the other item and been THANKFUL the other seller didn't confirm.

I suppose the seller could've been a jerk and confirmed anyways despite your message, but then you guys could have worked something out under the threat of negative feedback.

I see no reason why you should be upset at the original seller. If nothing else, he could not predict this situation would arise. Really, the lack of confirmation is a GOOD thing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, in this case the lack of confirmation (but the possability of it) prevented me from taking advantage of another offer. When the reality of the non-confirmation presented itself, it was too late.

Live and learn.

However, the flip side: If I had purchased both items and then both sellers confirmed and I tried to get out of one of them, I am sure they would have complained mightily that it was my fault and I shouldn't have bought something if I didn't intend to pay for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'd have a decent chance of a seller being understanding - a lot of us are just geeks, and if someone wants to back out of a buy before I even confirmed it, I think I'd let them. I DO think you get messaged when someone confirms the sale. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Though maybe you didn't know this at the time.

Admittedly, it's a risk, but at that point, if they get pissy, say, "I don't want the item, it's cost you nothing, and what's going to happen? We both leave negative feedback for each other?" It's just smarter for the seller to drop the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.