Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had previously created a wiki page

OLWLG for Organizers

thought it may be worth while to also have a discussion thread as well separate from the general OLWLG discussion thread, ie:

(obsolete thread, please use guild, see base post) Math Trade Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) - Discussion, Problem Report, etc thread

... forums over in the guild

On-Line Want-List Generator (OLWLG), for Math Trades

and of course the OLWLG wiki page itself.

I'll post changes to the OLWLG from the MT organizer perspective in this thread instead of the general thread from now on as well.

One of the newest features that MT organizers may not know about if they haven't run one in the last month is setting the deadlines with the geeklist header/description. See the wiki for more info.

Also as soon as the MT is over you can now un-check the box (edit mt info page) that indicates the MT is active.... no need to let it linger so it stays up top, the OLWLG main page now has a new heading for any recently completed MT's you were in from the past 4 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Kirsch
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) for Math Trade Organizers Discussion Thread
I have a couple of questions after running my first MT:
- How long does it take for the 'Most Wanted' and 'WANTS' link to appear on the front page ?
- When shall I move the Math Trade to the inactive state ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) for Math Trade Organizers Discussion Thread
jkirsch wrote:
- How long does it take for the 'Most Wanted' and 'WANTS' link to appear on the front page ?

See the wiki heading "Turning on WantList submissions", bullet #5.. ie. you need to upload the wants for them to become available

Quote:
- When shall I move the Math Trade to the inactive state ?

See last paragraph of base post above

I'm actually thinking of automatically considering a MT inactive once the WANTS and results have been uploaded now that the new feature of a new heading for your recently completed MT's is in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Kirsch
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
See the wiki heading "Turning on WantList submissions", bullet #5.. ie. you need to upload the wants for them to become available

That's probably it. I thought I didn't have to do it since I didn't edit the want list.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When attempting to resync a list, I am receiving the following error.

Quote:

Internal Error: Bad file descriptor
getgames 0 to 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logicalgambit wrote:
When attempting to resync a list, I am receiving the following error.
Quote:
Internal Error: Bad file descriptor
getgames 0 to 2

should be all set now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG XML API failures causing OLWLG resync failures Re: On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) for Math Trade Organizers Discussion Thread
Warning: looks like the BGG XML API is failing intermittently with:

500 Server closed connection without sending any data back

this is definitely affecting geeklist re-syncs, as well as folks re-sycning their collections, and will affect both historical pricing tools.

I'll report in the BGG XML API discussion thread but it may be a more generic BGG problem hopefully that will be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if anyone has seen this since BGG came back up late last night? Aldie wrote on the google back that he was moving the database server so I'm guessing/hoping the problem was something to do with him getting ready to do the transition.
JeffyJeff wrote:
Warning: looks like the BGG XML API is failing intermittently with:

500 Server closed connection without sending any data back

this is definitely affecting geeklist re-syncs, as well as folks re-sycning their collections, and will affect both historical pricing tools.

I'll report in the BGG XML API discussion thread but it may be a more generic BGG problem hopefully that will be resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it once today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie told me on the Google Group that it was unrelated and it had been fixed earlier that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to recover from accidently loading a summary prematurely.... Re: On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) for Math Trade Organizers Discussion Thread
sigtaulefty wrote:
I may have loaded an official summary (somehow - not sure how) before the submission period was over. Is there a way to completely sync up the OLWLG?

You must have clicked on the link that said to generate and autoload the summary from the "edit mt" page

In any case the way to recover from this is...

to do resyncs from now on you'll have to edit the url manually (or bookmarket it):

bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/viewlist.cgi?fetch=1&listid=nnnnn

where nnnnn is your your geeklist number. Of you can just click on the link (off the title of the MT) to get to step 3 and then add &fetch=1 to it.

After you are now really done (have locked the geeklist and done the final resync) you can generate and load a new summary with:

bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/gensummary.cgi?listid=nnnnn&loadsummary=yes

again where nnnnn is your geeklist number.

Note that this will completely overwrite the previously generated summary. If for some reason you need to "re-open" a math trade after you had already opened up online submissions then you possibly don't want to do that as lot names could get changed (if any items were deleted from the geeklist then you may be out of luck)... instead use that link with out the loadsummary=yes argument, merge it with the previous (old) summary and then load it using...

bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/upload.pl?listid=nnnnn&what=summary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Math trades that don't need summaries.... Re: On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) for Math Trade Organizers Discussion Thread
By the way the reason for "summaries" and "lot names" is mainly historical from long before the OLWLG. The summary was something folks could use to compose (by hand) their want lists without having to go through the entire geeklist to make sure they have the right item numbers (1, 2, 3, etc)... then later when suffixes got added to the item numbers to reduce errors when folks used the incorrect item number for an offering (especially when a geeklist item was deleted).

The "lot names" with the suffixes are still kind of useful as anyone looking at the raw output of TradeMax can in lots of cases get an idea of what items of theirs traded and what they may have gotten with out using the unofficial more human readable results summary generated by the OLWLG.

It's quite possible (and was so before the OLWLG) to run a MT where the "lot names" are not tied to the ordinal position of those items within the geeklist (ie. the geeklist item numbers) or the name of the offering (ie. the -suffix), and in fact I think I did so quite a while ago (using the OLWLG or the tools that would eventually become the OLWLG). But instead to have the OLWLG use the geeklist item identifier (id) which is fixed (doesn't change if the item's geeklist position changes or for any other reason), unique (actually across all geeklists)....

... the benefit is that no "summary" need be generated (though still could be), could even allow want list submissions while the geeklist is still open to new offerings (though not w/out risk as folks could change their offerings and not be noticed), re-open geeklist, etc.

Would any of my fellow organizers be interested? I could run one first this way if folks want to see. I still need to make a few tweaks to the OLWLG to support it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple quick notes ...

I've updated the Wiki to note that doing resyncs to keep the OLWLG in sync with the geeklist should be done at no more than once an hour as it does take up resources on the server, how much I don't know and I don't want to risk abusing the server's host.

Also note that I don't follow the discussion threads for most MT's, including these days even the ones I'm participating in (obviously if I'm running one I will for sure be following it). So if there is a problem use this or the general OLWLG discussion thread (again preferred over private geekmail as someone else may be able to help sooner, and if the question comes up again the answer can already be found)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. Sorry for the following stupid questions, but I'm running my first maths trade and it's closing up tomorrow, and I want to get this right. But I'm confused Anyway, according to Jeff's wiki:

Quote:
Turning off WantList submissions

1. When the WantList submission window closes you would again navigate to the [edit info] link and uncheck the box next to "check to turn on online submissions".

Okay, got that

Quote:

2. Under the [edit info] table there are TradeMaximizer Options. Before you run the TradeMaximizer you will want to edit these options to determine the TradeMaximizer settings.

I have no idea what options I should set. It's all Greek to me. Linear/scaling/triangle priorities? Step sizes? AAA! Should I just leave this stuff alone and go with the defaults?

Quote:

3. Once your TradeMaximizer settings have been updated you would scroll down to the Upload Official Want Lists header and select "click here to read the online wants submissions". You will need to save a copy of this to your hard drive to run the TradeMaximizer with.

Okay, I think I understand this. When I get the new page, save it as a .txt file locally?

Quote:

4. Run the TradeMaximizer and get a save a copy of the Results to your hard drive.

I've looked all over the place and I can't seem to find a "Run the TradeMaximizer" button anywhere. Is this some stand alone application I download and run in windows? Is this the "submit query" button in the edit options page?
Quote:

5. Upload the WantLists you downloaded (in case of any edits you may have made be they any manual submissions you needed to add or if you needed to remove someones submission) on the [edit info] page under the Upload Official Want Lists header using the "Upload Official Want Lists" link.

So this would be taking the data that I saved in a .txt file and the pasting it into the "upload official results" field, or would this be some other data I got from "running the trademaximizer", which I'm still not sure how to do.

and should I attach it with a .txt filename extension? or none?

Quote:

You need to do this even if you do not (which is most common case) edit the WANTS. This step is also what makes the "who wanted mine" and "most wanted" scripts available as those scripts need this data.

6. Upload a copy of the official results that you had saved to your hard drive (this should be the complete TradeMaximizer output) on the [edit info] page under the Upload Official (TradeMaximizer) Results header either via cut & paste in the appropriate box or by selecting the "upload tool" link listed underneath the box.

Is this going to be something different than what I uploaded with in the previous step?

As you can see, I'm clearly confused, and any help would be much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Richard,

Actually you are quoting from the olwlg for organizers wiki, not the general olwlg wiki, there is actually a link to the discussion thread for the organizers using the olwlg in that wiki.

in any case as for trademax options, olwlg already sets default ones, but for specific ones I recommend I answered in your essen mt thread (ie. metric users-trading, iterations 100, seed 1234567, no priorities). this will run the algorithm 100 times each time checking the results to see if that iteration has more users trading at least one game than the best iteration so far (all iterations will still have the same number of items trading).

olwlg does not run trademax, see the trademax wiki for details on the trademax options mentioned above, where to find trademax, and how to run it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding embedded deadlines: Will the trade automatically close and do a final sync after this time?

As a moderator, I don't mind leaving the offer Geeklist open for a few more hours to allow any last-minute additions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will not do it automatically. You will need to shut the list off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bug fix:

when you re-sync your cookie for last viewed item was not being updated...

when I switched over to perl XML::Twig I introduced a bug apparently where your cookie keeping track of last view item was not being set. Bug was using Twig::flush instead of Twig:urge in one spot.... should now be fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I've removed from "edit mt" the uploading of the trademax results via cut/paste into a text area box form... you now have to upload via the upload script of a file from your local computer.

Also put in a pink background note box specific to what you are about to upload to make sure you are indeed uploading the correct entity...

Been finding too many MT organizers are uploading the geeklist *summary* as the results!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How to upload a new WANTS, RESULTS, etc if you really need to... Re: On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) for Math Trade Organizers Discussion Thread
JeffyJeff wrote:
Note: I've removed from "edit mt" the uploading of the trademax results via cut/paste into a text area box form... you now have to upload via the upload script of a file from your local computer.

Also put in a pink background note box specific to what you are about to upload to make sure you are indeed uploading the correct entity...

Been finding too many MT organizers are uploading the geeklist *summary* as the results!!!!

Looks like this hasn't helped completely, still some wrong files being uploaded for what they are supposed to be

In any case if you happen to have uploaded the wrong file you can replace the uploaded incorrect file with the correct one via...

bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/upload.pl?listid=nnnnn&what=ttyyppee

where nnnnn is your geeklist number and "ttyyppee" is one of...

summary - for the geeklist summary
wants - for the wants which should in most cases be what you downloaded from the OLWLG
results - for the output you for from TradeMaximizer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of users in my math trade are receiving blank messages when they submit their wants through the OLWLG, including myself. When I check the submissions they look fine and complete as far as I can tell.

Also as far as I know this is the biggest math trade ever. This may or may not have something to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been happening apparently randomly in other math trades this year... I've no idea but the geekmail is only a nice thing .... the olwlg does give you a "successfully submitted" message when you submit as well as giving you the same summary you see in the geekmail at the time you submit...

At some point I'll look closer to see if I can consistently reproduce under which cases BGG completely truncates the geek mail the olwlg sends... luckily it does not appear to happen in the most important case... sending the login link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also wondering what's the quickest and best way to look for and find arbitrage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:
I was also wondering what's the quickest and best way to look for and find arbitrage?

once results are uploaded in the results summary generated by the olwlg it highlights any non-game for non-game trade with red backgrounds.

or assuming folks used altname and in a semi-standard format recognized by the olwlg, look at raw trademax results for trades that are -nnnGG received -nnnGG (or GC for GC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question about our new Math Trade for Orccon 2011:

One of the MT participants noticed that item 40 on the list isn't showing up and all of the items thereafter seem to be a number off.

The items are properly named on the OLWLG but the numbers are just wrong (oddly, everything after seems to be one later rather than one earlier, which we would expect with one missing).

Will this cause a problem?

Thanks, JJ, for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.