CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading this YA book in say the 4th-5th grade. It was about 100-150 pages. It followed the premise that children are kidnapped and taken to a fantastical island where I believe they were some kind of slave labor for some maniacal overlord. And I believe the longer they stayed there the more they changed into something. Very Pinochio and city of lost children. The book came out in the late 70's.

Any ideas?

As a bonus, I am still looking for a picture book from the 70's about a boy who stole seven mile boots from a cat(not puss in boots), and crossed the planet and through strange locations. I also remember there being a giant in the book that had the head of Janus the two headed god, but I think this one had 4 heads. For this one I've searched all the suggested picture book finder sites, and databases.

+1?

I'll give 3GG for either right answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Were the kidnapped children forced to doing archaeology digs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I remember reading this YA book in say the 4th-5th grade. It was about 100-150 pages. It followed the premise that children are kidnapped and taken to a fantastical island where I believe they were some kind of slave labor for some maniacal overlord. And I believe the longer they stayed there the more they changed into something. Very Pinochio and city of lost children. The book came out in the late 70's.

Any ideas?

As a bonus, I am still looking for a picture book from the 70's about a boy who stole seven mile boots from a cat(not puss in boots), and crossed the planet and through strange locations. I also remember there being a giant in the book that had the head of Janus the two headed god, but I think this one had 4 heads. For this one I've searched all the suggested picture book finder sites, and databases.

+1?

I'll give 3GG for either right answer.

The last one sounds like the premise for Majora's Mask. Very strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Were the kidnapped children forced to doing archaeology digs?

I don't believe so. It was very "gothic" fantasy feel to it. Like that movie Jim Carry did, Lemony Snicket.

But it you got some title names, throw them out. I'll know it when I read the synopsis of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Lord of the Flies for the first one? Although i don't recall any kidnapping, and the only overlords were themselves... I guess not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Holes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Holes?

Holes was written in the 90's, and happens in the desert. But good try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Perhaps Lord of the Flies for the first one? Although i don't recall any kidnapping, and the only overlords were themselves... I guess not.

No wasn't Lord of the Flies. It was definitely a "fantasy" book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found something close:
The White Mountains - This is Part 1 of the Tripods Series. From the Description:

Young Will Parker and his companions make a perilous journey toward an outpost of freedom where they hope to escape from the ruling Tripods, who capture mature human beings and make them docile, obedient servants.

This old Sci-Fi also looks interesting (I know you LOVE old SF)
Chocky

I'm still searching.........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
I think I found something close:
The White Mountains - This is Part 1 of the Tripods Series. From the Description:

Young Will Parker and his companions make a perilous journey toward an outpost of freedom where they hope to escape from the ruling Tripods, who capture mature human beings and make them docile, obedient servants.

This old Sci-Fi also looks interesting (I know you LOVE old SF)
Chocky

I'm still searching.........

Nope, not quite it. But thanks for the link. Keep trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely got to think fantasy...almost a wizard of oz slash time bandits kind of fantasy, but dark.

A story Terry Gilliam would write.

And truthfully is he were writing that long ago, I would say that Neil Gaiman wrote it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, the white mountains was good. I read that as a kid.

But yeah, the kids there were not kidnapped; some kids were taking to the alien cities to be slaves, but they wanted to be taken away (it was a big honor at the time), so they would compete to get to be the "lucky" person. And even the non-enslaved people had gadgets installed on their heads when they were teenagers that made it possible for the aliens to control their thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
MWChapel wrote:

Any ideas?

I entered this into Wolfram Alpha and got information about Tokyo Barometric Pressures. Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another close call:
Wind Eye

Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Another close call:
Wind Eye

Sorry!

Nope. You know the trouble with finding old books, is that if they aren't in print anymore, it's almost like trying to find a needle in the haystack.

This book had a steampunk like feel years before it was popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More not right thoughts:

Over Sea Under Stone from the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper

The Wrinkle in Time Books? by Madeleine L'Engle. Could it be one of those?

The Earthsea Cycle books? by Urusla LeGuin. They are set on a nation of islands.

I tried!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
Another close call:
Wind Eye

Sorry!

Nope. You know the trouble with finding old books, is that if they aren't in print anymore, it's almost like trying to find a needle in the haystack.

This book had a steampunk like feel years before it was popular.

Well, I searched on Amazon, and some of the Teen fantasy before 1980 didn't have pics, blurbs, reviews, or descriptions. So it may be there, but who would know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, "Wind Eye's" description reminded me of one I remembered.

A bunch of kids exploring an old castle get sent back in time. Somehow there were, in the past, dopplegangers of at least one child; maybe all of the kids had a doppleganger, I'm not sure. This doppleganger(s?) looked the same, but were kids who had grown up in the past. Finally the kids find a way back to the present, but oops! One of the kids was left behind, and the doppleganger came instead! "Oh well," they decide, "We'll just teach this kid from the past to be just like our friend, and nobody will notice the difference." And the book ends.

Anybody remember it? Was the final decision as weird as I recall?

Edit: I'll also be like Chapel and pay out 3gg to anybody who can name the book and/or tell me more about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
More not right thoughts:

The Earthsea Cycle books? by Urusla LeGuin. They are set on a nation of islands.

I tried!

Nope. And I remember reading the Wrinkle in Time series and Earthsea. And first one is not it.

Here is another angle I remember. The story is that when boys are bad, this Island is where they might be taken too. It might have also been almost a military school type place, or maybe an orphanage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
More not right thoughts:

I tried!

Nope. And I remember reading the Wrinkle in Time series and Earthsea. And first one is not it.

Here is another angle I remember. The story is that when boys are bad, this Island is where they might be taken too. It might have also been almost a military school type place, or maybe an orphanage.

Hmmmmm.........there were some like that...orphanages, boarding schools. I'll check again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
You know, "Wind Eye's" description reminded me of one I remembered.

A bunch of kids exploring an old castle get sent back in time. Somehow there were, in the past, dopplegangers of at least one child; maybe all of the kids had a doppleganger, I'm not sure. This doppleganger(s?) looked the same, but were kids who had grown up in the past. Finally the kids find a way back to the present, but oops! One of the kids was left behind, and the doppleganger came instead! "Oh well," they decide, "We'll just teach this kid from the past to be just like our friend, and nobody will notice the difference." And the book ends.

Anybody remember it? Was the final decision as weird as I recall?

Edit: I'll also be like Chapel and pay out 3gg to anybody who can name the book and/or tell me more about it.

I think I saw something like that while searching for MWC. Hmmmmm.......I'll have to try again this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cakeball sally
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
general tip:
other places to ask hordes of bibliophiles about vaguely-remembered books
http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom
http://loganberrybooks.com/stump.html

MWChapel wrote:

Ok, I didn't have the "boys are bad" info when I began my epic procrastination of looking for this book, so these might no longer be relevant, but for what it's worth...

These seemed like the most likely candidates from the loganberry archives

* Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down by Irene Schram (1972)

Quote:
"I love this dark dystopian children's horror novel...only problem is I don't know a single other person who has read it"

Plot summary: "Our whole class of students was on the grass, in the park, for a picnic: it was April and time for a picnic after a long winter full of weeks and months of rain, boring rain." From this innocent opening Irene Schram builds a terrifying tale about a concentration camp for children. Like William Golding's Lord of the Flies, with which it will undoubtedly be compared, Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down creates an extreme situation -- half nightmare, half history -- to reveal the anxieties and terrors of children growing up today. The children are fifth-graders in a typical city; they are forced by a storm of pollution to take shelter in a park building, where they are captured, then transported and imprisoned, by robot-like guards. Their struggle to survive in their new environment -- which has many parallels to the world they are growing up in -- is told mainly through the children's eyes and imaginations. Ashes, Ashes is a spell-binding fantasy that is based on the real lessons city children must absorb daily from their immediate surroundings.

"A teacher and her students go to the park to see grass, which is almost unknown in their time (perhaps after a war, not sure). Rain starts to fall and they take shelter in a shed. There they are kidnapped by a group of dark men and taken to a huge fortress or compound. They are provided with very little food and no reason is given for why any of this is done. One by one the children are killed by means of various traps."

* Jexium Island by Madeleine Grattan (1957)

Quote:
"Little by little, Serge began to understand the evil design of which Jexium Island was a part. And when his enigmatic friend Cyril appeared on the scene, with a fully organized plan for releasing the island children from their captivity (with the help of the French Navy!), Serge is launched into as bizarre a series of adventures as ever befell a mettlesome boy." - quoted from inside dust jacket

" It has black and white illustrations by William Pene du Bois, and is the story of Serge, who makes his way from France to the coast of Newfoundland to search for his kidnapped foster sister Angele. There he finds many children who have been captured to work on an island of jexium deposits. "

* The Case of the Vanishing Boy by Alexander Key (1979)

Quote:
" Jan and Ginny are kidnapped by
the bad guys (an evil doctor who has a brainwashing machine named Matilda) because they want to control Jan who has the unique ability to teleport."

Less likely:

* A Pocket of Silence by Barbara Freeman (1977)

Quote:
"Modern girl goes back in time and is imprisoned in a cottage in the woods with a group of girls, who are all basically enslaved and have to make bobbin lace all day. The oldest girl befriends the modern girl and teaches her how to make lace. Eventually they are all rescued, and the modern girl gets back to the present and finds a piece of lace that she recognizes as made by her friend."

* The New Adventures of the Mad Scientists' Club Bertrand Brinley's (1968)

Quote:
"It's not fantasy, mind you. It's a sequel to The Mad Scientists' Club. In one story, they have a hideout behind a waterfall, where they also keep a mini-sub, and in the last story, two of the club's members get kidnapped by the rival club and dumped on a lake island."

* Seahorse in the Sky by Edmund Cooper (1980)

Quote:
"This little-known story begins when more than a dozen people wake up in coffins. They find themselves in a small area made to look like part of a town -- it contains a fully stocked store and hotel, a car parked on the street (that doesn't run) -- and a bunch of plastic coffins, each containing a passenger from an international flight, each apparently snatched out of midair, since there is no flight wreckage, and all of them seem to be alive and unharmed. After several weeks of waiting for rescue that never arrives, a few of their number explore and discover that this mysterious land is also populated by a group of what appear to be medieval people and another group of what seems to be cavemen. That accounts for the human population on this island . . . the only other creatures around are the sinister metal spiders."

* The Silver Crown by Robert O'Brien (1968)

Quote:
"Ellen wakes up on her birthday and finds a silver crown on the pillow. She wanders out into the early morning, enjoying the feeling of being a secret princess. She sees fire trucks and realizes her house is on fire, returns to the house to find it burned to the ground with no survivors. She doesn't tell the police who she is, preferring to make her way to her aunt's house alone. During her journey she meets a boy, Otto, and his pet raven who accompany her. She discovers a hidden compound where children are being controlled by a black crown and realizes she has to fight the owner of the black crown to release them."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm in search of one as well.
The only thing I know for sure about the plot is that there's a family who has possession of a spring in the woods that grants eternal life. They protect it? I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ivers wrote:
general tip:
other places to ask hordes of bibliophiles about vaguely-remembered books
http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom
http://loganberrybooks.com/stump.html

MWChapel wrote:

Ok, I didn't have the "boys are bad" info when I began my epic procrastination of looking for this book, so these might no longer be relevant, but for what it's worth...

These seemed like the most likely candidates from the loganberry archives

* Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down by Irene Schram (1972)

Quote:
"I love this dark dystopian children's horror novel...only problem is I don't know a single other person who has read it"

Plot summary: "Our whole class of students was on the grass, in the park, for a picnic: it was April and time for a picnic after a long winter full of weeks and months of rain, boring rain." From this innocent opening Irene Schram builds a terrifying tale about a concentration camp for children. Like William Golding's Lord of the Flies, with which it will undoubtedly be compared, Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down creates an extreme situation -- half nightmare, half history -- to reveal the anxieties and terrors of children growing up today. The children are fifth-graders in a typical city; they are forced by a storm of pollution to take shelter in a park building, where they are captured, then transported and imprisoned, by robot-like guards. Their struggle to survive in their new environment -- which has many parallels to the world they are growing up in -- is told mainly through the children's eyes and imaginations. Ashes, Ashes is a spell-binding fantasy that is based on the real lessons city children must absorb daily from their immediate surroundings.

"A teacher and her students go to the park to see grass, which is almost unknown in their time (perhaps after a war, not sure). Rain starts to fall and they take shelter in a shed. There they are kidnapped by a group of dark men and taken to a huge fortress or compound. They are provided with very little food and no reason is given for why any of this is done. One by one the children are killed by means of various traps."

* Jexium Island by Madeleine Grattan (1957)

Quote:
"Little by little, Serge began to understand the evil design of which Jexium Island was a part. And when his enigmatic friend Cyril appeared on the scene, with a fully organized plan for releasing the island children from their captivity (with the help of the French Navy!), Serge is launched into as bizarre a series of adventures as ever befell a mettlesome boy." - quoted from inside dust jacket

" It has black and white illustrations by William Pene du Bois, and is the story of Serge, who makes his way from France to the coast of Newfoundland to search for his kidnapped foster sister Angele. There he finds many children who have been captured to work on an island of jexium deposits. "

* The Case of the Vanishing Boy by Alexander Key (1979)

Quote:
" Jan and Ginny are kidnapped by
the bad guys (an evil doctor who has a brainwashing machine named Matilda) because they want to control Jan who has the unique ability to teleport."

Less likely:

* A Pocket of Silence by Barbara Freeman (1977)

Quote:
"Modern girl goes back in time and is imprisoned in a cottage in the woods with a group of girls, who are all basically enslaved and have to make bobbin lace all day. The oldest girl befriends the modern girl and teaches her how to make lace. Eventually they are all rescued, and the modern girl gets back to the present and finds a piece of lace that she recognizes as made by her friend."

* The New Adventures of the Mad Scientists' Club Bertrand Brinley's (1968)

Quote:
"It's not fantasy, mind you. It's a sequel to The Mad Scientists' Club. In one story, they have a hideout behind a waterfall, where they also keep a mini-sub, and in the last story, two of the club's members get kidnapped by the rival club and dumped on a lake island."

* Seahorse in the Sky by Edmund Cooper (1980)

Quote:
"This little-known story begins when more than a dozen people wake up in coffins. They find themselves in a small area made to look like part of a town -- it contains a fully stocked store and hotel, a car parked on the street (that doesn't run) -- and a bunch of plastic coffins, each containing a passenger from an international flight, each apparently snatched out of midair, since there is no flight wreckage, and all of them seem to be alive and unharmed. After several weeks of waiting for rescue that never arrives, a few of their number explore and discover that this mysterious land is also populated by a group of what appear to be medieval people and another group of what seems to be cavemen. That accounts for the human population on this island . . . the only other creatures around are the sinister metal spiders."

* The Silver Crown by Robert O'Brien (1968)

Quote:
"Ellen wakes up on her birthday and finds a silver crown on the pillow. She wanders out into the early morning, enjoying the feeling of being a secret princess. She sees fire trucks and realizes her house is on fire, returns to the house to find it burned to the ground with no survivors. She doesn't tell the police who she is, preferring to make her way to her aunt's house alone. During her journey she meets a boy, Otto, and his pet raven who accompany her. She discovers a hidden compound where children are being controlled by a black crown and realizes she has to fight the owner of the black crown to release them."

Mammoth effort, but none of those sound like it. And I've searched for both of these on loganberry with no success(I didn't do the pay stump)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cakeball sally
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
I'm in search of one as well.
The only thing I know for sure about the plot is that there's a family who has possession of a spring in the woods that grants eternal life. They protect it? I think?

Tuck Everlasting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.