Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Miser Wild Flare reads
Quote:
When you draw a new hand or another player takes compensation from you, you may place this card and two others facedown in front of you until afterwards. If compensation is being taken from you, the facedown cards may not be taken. If drawing a new hand, you receive a full hand in addition to the facedown cards.
I'm not sure about the timing, when your the target of a compensation: what is the sequence of event? I'd guess:

A - An opponent is getting ready to get a compensation from you.
B - You play the Miser Wild Flare, put it on the table along with 2 facedown cards.
C - Your opponent picks cards from your hand…
D - You are finished playing the flare, so it gets back to your hand.

Is this correct? I don't see anything in the flare text or the FAQ that says that D must be done after C… I guess that the question is about when the flare's effect is supposed to end (after putting 2 facedown cards on the table, or after the opponent takes his compensation?)…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth M.
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says (from your quote):

"place this card and two others facedown ... the facedown cards may not be taken"

So, the flare is facedown and isn't returned to your hand til after the other player has taken compensation and you pick up the other two.

EDIT: Just thought I should add that this is only my opinion from reading your quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
I don't see anything in the flare text or the FAQ that says that D must be done after C…

Here it is: "place this card ... facedown ... until afterwards". So the three cards remain set aside until the triggering event (losing compensation or collecting a new had) is complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it's the only way to get the Miser flare out of his hand is if you're taking consolation after the same challenge where he got a new hand (since he can only use the flare once per challenge), or if he used another flare during the same challenge, or with a Flare Zap or similar card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonster wrote:
The card says (from your quote):

"place this card and two others facedown ... the facedown cards may not be taken"

So, the flare is facedown and isn't returned to your hand til after the other player has taken compensation and you pick up the other two.
Thanks! I see, now…

What happened is that I read the ambiguous French translation, and blindly quoted the English text when posting, without reading it. blush The original is indeed very clear. Time to manually update the French Miser Wild Flare!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
What happened is that I read the ambiguous French translation, and blindly quoted the English text when posting, without reading it. blush The original is indeed very clear. Time to manually update the French Miser Wild Flare!

So you're trying to update an ambiguous French translation based on an ambiguous English source by asking questions in English from a group of people who are accustomed to three distinct rulesets with subtle differences. You have your work cut out for you, and I salute you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
lebigot wrote:

So you're trying to update an ambiguous French translation based on an ambiguous English source by asking questions in English from a group of people who are accustomed to three distinct rulesets with subtle differences. You have your work cut out for you, and I salute you.
I instinctively trust people who know more than me about a certain subject. So, BGG experts actually do the work for me: I am happy to adopt the opinion of "people accustomed to three distinct rule sets".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.