Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Will's power be used to reinstall a colony on one of its home planets? (even if there are other aliens on it) The power reads:
Quote:
As the offense, after you draw from the destiny deck, use this power to encounter any alien on any planet of your choice instead of encountering the alien mandated by the drawn destiny card (for example, you could choose to encounter the Virus' ships on the Mind's planet, even if you were actually directed to have an encounter with the Oracle by the destiny card). Any other effects caused by the drawn destiny card still take place as usual.
Thus, Will must do an "encounter", which makes me wonder whether getting back an abandoned home planet is a valid choice (even though doing so would count as a "successful encounter")… What's the correct reading of Will's power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will can auto land on an empty home planet, but if other players are there, he must attack one of them to colonize... He can attack any of the players, but it must be one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I partially disagree. To use his power, Will has to "encounter an alien". I don't think he can reclaim an empty home planet unless he actually draws his own color.

That might not have been the intent, but it's what the sheet says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Will is limited to attacking colonies. It's the only downside of the power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toomai Glittershine
Canada
flag msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:
I partially disagree. To use his power, Will has to "encounter an alien". I don't think he can reclaim an empty home planet unless he actually draws his own color.

That might not have been the intent, but it's what the sheet says.
I agree with this thought - but by pursuing it further, a bad conclusion is drawn. Will must use its power to ignore destiny and instead encounter a player - if played strictly as such, it cannot ever choose to reclaim a blank home planet, as it must encounter a player, of which there are none there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Will is not omnipotent either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.