Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Harris
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure where to properly post this, but I just wanted to let everyone know of a project of mine. I am taking a couple of vacations this year with friends who I play board games with. I wanted to take some of my better games on travel, but didn't know the best way to go about converting non-travel games to travel games. The most pressing concern of mine was the game board and box getting dinged inside a suitcase, besides the obvious space requirements for some of the games.

I went on a mission to try and discover what was a good way to reproduce a board game (hopefully legally) so that you could still read the board, roll the board if possible, and perhaps write on it. I took a look at what RJ Sim had done for Ticket to Ride [url](http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/38555/travel-ticket-to...)[/url] as a baseline.

My first thoughts were to print something out and laminate it, but I was worried that the board would not lay flat which would make it hard to place trains and the like on a curled board. I then asked some friends who do craft work about other ideas. I explored using foam paper with a glued on photo paper of the board, but once rolled the paper would crack, bubble, rip, and other generally bad things. I then went to some printing shops and asked some questions. The prevailing idea was it had to go onto something fabric, either using a screen printing process or something as simple as iron on transfers onto pillow cases or something like that. I was worried that you would not be able to read the text of an iron on and kept looking.

Then one day driving home recently I saw some political banners on the side of the road for govt elections. The banners were white with nice full color pictures of the candidates on them, and I thought that was nice but how much $ are we talking here. I went to a sign place, and they gave me a sample of the vinyl banner material (to test markers on in case I want to write on it and erase) and gave me a quote for the size I was thinking about (4' x 6'). The quote was $180 - way too much.

Hello Internet! I found a site (halfpricebanners.com) that would print a 4x6 banner for $42. On a 4x6 banner I could get 4 game maps, and 3 player aids so for each game, roughly $12 for a game board. I was ready to make it happen, but still was worried. I used Photoshop to make my banner image leaving room between boards to cut them out as well as room for edges to be sewn if need be. I then submitted my artwork to the printer and asked if it would look fine on a banner. They approved the artwork, I placed the order, and today I got the results. Behold...

I have taken the travel games to Roatan, Cayman Brac, and on a cruise in the Western Caribbean. They have not unraveled on the edges at all, and the artwork remains as bright and vivid as when I first got them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very Interesting! It looks really good.

So you can write on the banner fine and then erase it again without any residue staying? Do you use the dry erase markers on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harris
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still testing it out but it appears that dry erase markers may harm the ink, but transparency markers will not. I added the player aides to the banner to fully test the marker residue and will post my results after a few days of testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Harris
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the maps to Roatan on vacation for a week and used transparency markers on the TTR map and the markings wiped off fine. In the end, we preferred using crystal stones (pente stones) of different color to mark the board (we used the stones for different purposes for each game such as villagers in Stone Age) with trains as opposed to different colors of pen markings. Since we have room and weight for the stones in our travel case, I will just use it going forward. For games where markings don't indicate a specific player it would most likely work better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you get permission to reproduce the images or did the banner company just not care?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PinballGeek wrote:
The prevailing idea was it had to go onto something fabric, either using a screen printing process or something as simple as iron on transfers onto pillow cases or something like that. I was worried that you would not be able to read the text of an iron on and kept looking.

Spoonflower will print on demand unto fabric from a computer file. I saw some samples of it in a quilt my friend did of odd road signs. It has very good resolution.

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

You can use iron on misty-fuse to attach the fabric to a muslim backing if you want it stronger or don't want to hem the fabric.

It's about $16 a yard

You can also get fabric sheets that will go though a laser printer. I've done that at kinkos with good results but you are limited to letter size prints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.