Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris (not the singer) Brown
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downstairs, I have numerous miniatures, especially of the D&D Minis line, that are currently collecting large amounts of dust, since its been forever since I last played D&D.

My question is this: Do you use miniatures outside of the game they were intended for?

For me, Heroquest would be a perfect excuse to break out various orcs, goblins, undead, and hero types. I suppose any RPG style game such as Descent or maybe even Claustrophobia would work.

Just curious to see how people use their minatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Do it all the time.
I use Heroscape figs for Song of Blades and Heroes, All Things Zombie, Nuts! etc. Warhammer figs for Song of Blades, Fantasy Warriors, Hordes of the Things etc.
AT-43 figs for Stargrunt II, All Things Zombie, Fast and Dirty.
And on and on. Never met a figure I couldn't find different rules for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I recently grabbed Heroscape figures to replace all the figures I lost/broke for Battlemasters. I then decided that I don't have enough space in my house to leave a 4.5' X 5' game mat on the floor all the time so I looked at converting Battlelore minis into a tabletop version of the Battlemasters. I'm not sure why I'm still fascinated with this old game (probably nostalgia) but I still find it fun.

Mageknight and Heroclix figures are great for custom Heroscape units.

I also found that some of the AT-43 figures are great for Tannhauser customs (check out some of the customs other users have made already for this game as evidence).

I was never a big fan of the D&D minis line so when RPing, I'll use Confrontation or HS minis as I like the sculpts/paint jobs better.

To test out Knizia's En Garde, I set up Heroscape terrain, two alternate sculpts, and a deck of playing cards to home demo the game. Quite effective.

On a last note, I like to dabble in game design so I'll snag minis for my own homebrew stuff as well.

EDIT: forgot to mention (because I haven't done it yet) the Star Wars miniature line is ripe for making customs and updates to the pathetic existing sculpts in Epic Duels. Its too bad some of those sculpts are so expensive (the Fetts and Darth Maul come to mind).

I've also been using Monsterpocalypse minis for Monster Island to great effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought miniatures for games. I had the cardstock pieces in Dungeoneer, so I got miniatures to replace the characters.

If they made BSG miniatures I would get those in a heartbeat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small collection of 'StarWars' minis that I use to play "Battlestations" (bought explicitly for that purpose). Occasionally I also use 40K figures as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
I have a small collection of 'StarWars' minis that I use to play "Battlestations" (bought explicitly for that purpose). Occasionally I also use 40K figures as well.

How well do they fit? I'd considered using them for that myself once, but when I got a good luck at a friend's copy of Battlestations it seemed to me that my SWminis would be a little too big to fit the ship tiles unless I were to copy and enlarge all of them first. Is that what you did?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used minis for Arkham Horror (I have mostly pulp fiction style minis). If I had more fantasy minis, I'd use them for Dungeoneer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilted Frog wrote:

My question is this: Do you use miniatures outside of the game they were intended for?

Certainly. "Double duty" is often a consideration when I'm looking at possible new miniatures.

I started collecting Heroscape last year - which is a cool game in its own right - but my primary reason for acquiring it is to use all my HeroClix figures in it. My Star Wars minis can be used not only for the Wizards of the Coast game, but also for the old 1991 classic Star Wars Miniatures Battles from West End Games. I've also bought a whole heck of a lot of star fighters from WotC's recent Star Wars starship battles game to mix with my old SW micromachines in both Star Wars: Silent Death Starfighter Combat Game and Star Wars: Star Warriors. I even bought a copy of Clue last year with the idea of using its prepainted minis of Ms. Scarlet and all the rest (and even some "Homies" figures I got out of Toys R Us' vending machines) as possible civilians in my games of Heroclix/Heroscape.

And that's not even taking into account that I'm a roleplayer too, so I can easily use any of my minis for any of those games as well. My D&D minis can go well with any fantasy setting, the same with my SW minis in either a SW RPG or any sci-fi setting really. Or my Heroclix and other modern-day looking figs in a superhero rpg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confrontation: Age of Ragnarok miniatures for D&D. Well, I haven't used them yet but having them makes me want to run D&D campaigns so I can use them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I use my Star Wars minis in games like Stone Age even. There is something incredibly fun about having a group of Stormtroopers and some Ewoks both looking for resources at the same time!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.