Subject: Wow this game is hard.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Been playing with my copy and man is the opening scenario difficult I haven't tried the others and I'm getting hosed but it is so much fun. Glad I finally have a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now this is the strangeness of life. I took my newly re-created version to my games club last Wednesday with promises that no way would we beat the aliens first go. You know what, we hosed them - and I was adding 2 aliens every turn, not leaving out the red ones. Guess it comes down to the breaks :O)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
I think it does; I had a few rolls where the aliens came out right next to a Marine and the marine killed the alien and then died due to acid splash. I am going to print my own copy so I don't tear up my actual one later this weekend. Should be a reasonable 25 bucks to get it all printed on cardstock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or play the Flash version, it's really good.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love this game. But sometimes it's a cakewalk (not too often) and sometimes you just get slaughtered. It all depends on the alien drops and of course your die rolls. It always seems when I play it there's one character who just does better than the rest. Can't seem to miss a shot or a hit to knock an alien off a fellow marine.

There are a few games where sometimes it is more fun to die than to win and this is one of them. Even when you lose to a man there are some cool stories or moments in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Now, THAT'S really hard. I have yet to win the flash version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
I do play the flash version and it crushes me especially the 2nd scenario. I really want my own copy that I can play on a table without damaging so I'll probably print it off to get some experience setting up print and play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Really? I usually do pretty good, though the first mission dictates whether I complete it or not. The hardest part is that you cannot see where the alien drop zones are, so they can surprise you and land right on a marine, taking him out of commission. But I regularly finish the first mission with only 0 to 2 losses, which makes the next mission a cakewalk.

The last mission is easy if you only have two or three marines (preferably Ripley, Apone and Hicks, all with 3 APs), but more than that and you get constant alien spawning and it really ratchets up the difficulty.

Played today, and I lost Hudson to an alien splash in the first mission, lose Crowe to alien splash in the 2nd, so had a good stock of marines in the last mission. The group got split up and with some random drops, quickly lost everyone except Dietriech. He was able to find Newt and flee though

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Dietrich. Have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Yeah, thanks Shnar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jphien wrote:
Hey Dietrich. Have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Yeah, thanks Shnar.

Hey Vasquez,...

EDIT : Just understood what you meant !!

Very good Joseph !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
jphien wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Really? I usually do pretty good, though the first mission dictates whether I complete it or not. The hardest part is that you cannot see where the alien drop zones are, so they can surprise you and land right on a marine, taking him out of commission. But I regularly finish the first mission with only 0 to 2 losses, which makes the next mission a cakewalk.

The last mission is easy if you only have two or three marines (preferably Ripley, Apone and Hicks, all with 3 APs), but more than that and you get constant alien spawning and it really ratchets up the difficulty.

Played today, and I lost Hudson to an alien splash in the first mission, lose Crowe to alien splash in the 2nd, so had a good stock of marines in the last mission. The group got split up and with some random drops, quickly lost everyone except Dietriech. He was able to find Newt and flee though

-shnar

I wonder if they have changed the programing as I have decided to try it again and have been winning consistently. It has been quite awhile since I have played it but back then I could never win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dreger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I haven't changed anything in months. You're just doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.