Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Painting War of the Ring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Coles
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up a copy of this, having read lots about the problems with differentiating between the units. I haven't played it yet but the contrast between the glossy plastic figures and the rather nice artwork on the other components made me decide that the figs must be painted!

I've painted a lot of figures in my time and I don't enjoy it, so with 200+ in WotR I was going to need a quick method. I had a couple of spares in my set so I sprayed them white (with Games Workshop Skull White) and then applied a very diluted wash of colour, which covered the white and collected in the recesses of the figures, bringing out the detail in the mouldings. I think this method, with a little something extra to make the leaders stand out, will work fine for all the Free People nations but trying it on the Sauron side results in a less-than-intimidating pink army pouring out of Mordor.

My possible solution would be to spray the Sauron forces red and then give them a black wash to pick out the detail. The trouble is GW don't do a red spray any more and so the only alternative I can find is car paint. Has anyone tried this on the WotR figs? I'm just a little concerned about some unforseen chemical reaction reducing the evil horde to sluge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gengis Jon
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Krylon
I am planning on painting mine - I have heard good things about Krylon Fusion. It's spray paint designed for plastics. I have no clue how the wash will work but from what I have heard lot's of people use it as a primer. I really like your idea of white with a wash. I have been thinking about what to do with the leaders and think this would look great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolff
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
The Dip
Quick steps to painting really cool looking plastic figures very quickly?

1. Prime with cheap white automobile primer
2. Use cheap acrylic hobby paints (found in thrift stores, hobby stores, etc.) to paint different basic colours on your figure. Choose brighter versions of the colours you would want (they'll tone down later). Paint faces last.
3. Dip in a mixture of watered down woodstain. The preferred woodstain is "Minwax" brand, but you can use others. Take the figure out of "the dip" and use a piece of paper towel to soak up the excess. If too much stain is sticking to your figure, touch a corner of paper towel to it, and it'll slurp it right off.
4. Set to dry.

The woodstain will seep into the cracks, and make the details distinct. Furthermore, the woodstain will also mute the colours, and alter the hues over the entire surface. What used to be a glaringly ugly pair of purple pants now seems to have 2 or 3 shades all blending together, with dark recesses and brighter highlights.

What you wind up with is something that took you 2 minutes to paint, but which looks like it took hours.

Note: If you really want to, you can "paint" on the stain instead of dipping it, in order to control just how much stain you put on.

I'll inluce a link to a site dedicated to painting this way.

It is a standard way to do lots of figures in little time, and is gaining a lot of support amongst gamers who find they have to paint hundreds of figures for their army, but still want them to look distinct.

Have fun painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolff
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
More on the dip
Hmm, I"m not sure why the "enclosure" bit didn't work -- it was listed on my preview.

Anyway, the site is ...

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/guides/Painting/paintingstains....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.