Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've read the rules twice, I feel OK to ask the following question.

Suppose Alice, Bill, and Charlie are playing a 3-player game. Alice takes her turn and plays Possession. Next, she possesses Bill's turn, and makes him also play Possession. What happens next? Does Bill possess Charlie's turn and then take his own turn afterwards? Or does Bill take his own turn and then possess Charlie's turn?

It seems like it should be the former, because the possession turn happens before the next turn that otherwise would happen, but I'm not sure. Theoretically, this could result in an infinite loop of possessions, but I'm sure the likelihood of that ever happening must be tiny. I would probably rarely ever make my opponent play Possession, but I suppose it could come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Siegburg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
DominionFamily wrote:
Now that I've read the rules twice, I feel OK to ask the following question.

Suppose Alice, Bill, and Charlie are playing a 3-player game. Alice takes her turn and plays Possession. Next, she possesses Bill's turn, and makes him also play Possession. What happens next? Does Bill possess Charlie's turn and then take his own turn afterwards? Or does Bill take his own turn and then possess Charlie's turn?

It seems like it should be the former, because the possession turn happens before the next turn that otherwise would happen, but I'm not sure. Theoretically, this could result in an infinite loop of possessions, but I'm sure the likelihood of that ever happening must be tiny. I would probably rarely ever make my opponent play Possession, but I suppose it could come up.

I asked Moritz Brunnhofer from Hans im Glück at RPC Cologne about this, and he said that Bill would first posses Charlie's turn and then play his normal turn. He also said that it would be a pretty odd turn from Alice to play possession for Bill, why would she help Bill like that? Well, of course it is possible that Alice made the possessed Bill play a Golem and then Bill reveales a possession, so there is no choice for Alice. I can't figure out any situation in which Alice would freely choose to make Bill possess Charlie, because it would only benefit Bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, so the game can end in a quasi-infinite loop?

A possesses B, plays possession for B
B possesses C, plays possession for C
C possesses A, plays possession for A
and so on

B never gets to play their regular turn.

LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Siegburg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

and so on

LOL.

Yes, until one of the players comes back to his mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Zwecklos wrote:
Ponton wrote:

and so on

LOL.

Yes, until one of the players comes back to his mind.

Or one of the end game conditions is satisfied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashtool wrote:

Yeah, that's why I've written "quasi-infinite".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kieritz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ponton wrote:
Cashtool wrote:

Yeah, that's why I've written "quasi-infinite".

If the card text and the rules contradict each other then the card text wins.
If an end game condition is satified then possession says there is an extra turn and the rules say there isn't a turn.
Doesn't that mean that the card text wins and there will be an extra turn and it is really infinite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
Timbo_ wrote:
If an end game condition is satified then possession says there is an extra turn and the rules say there isn't a turn.
Doesn't that mean that the card text wins and there will be an extra turn and it is really infinite?

The rule book explicitly states that if the game ends, no further Possession or Outpost rounds occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
JonPrud wrote:
Timbo_ wrote:

The rule book explicitly states that if the game ends, no further Possession or Outpost rounds occur.

"Possession turns (and other extra turns) do not count for the tiebreaker. Once the game ends, no further turns are played, including extra turns from Possession and Outpost."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savino Palumbo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This all assuming of course that everyone has gained some possessions, which, let's face it, is unlikely. That thing costs 6 AND a potion. I think it's going to be rare-ish to see it come out, much less have all three players pursue a strategy that involves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
ELPsteel wrote:
This all assuming of course that everyone has gained some possessions, which, let's face it, is unlikely. That thing costs 6 AND a potion. I think it's going to be rare-ish to see it come out, much less have all three players pursue a strategy that involves it.

Nah, I'll Ambassador my own Possession if you can't get one yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ELPsteel wrote:

I would agree that it will be rare, but with all the Dominion being played, I don't think that translates to "unlikely."

Certainly, someone will force a possessed player to play Possession. There are ways to do it unintentionally, so it will happen. I think it's pretty likely that some group somewhere will eventually force it to go to a third Possession. A fourth is not out of the question, because by that point, the player may just want to do it for the sake of being able to tell the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The first game I played with Possession had someone play Possession and possess me into playing Golem, which hit Possession. I then possessed my left-hand opponent into playing Golem, which also hit Possession. (Sadly, his left-hand opponent didn't run Possession, so the chain was broken there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry. Don't know if that has been asked yet.

What happens when you Throne Room a Possession?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Sorry. Don't know if that has been asked yet.

What happens when you Throne Room a Possession?

You play Possession twice. There's no limit to the number of times you can Possess someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
There's no limit to the number of times you can Possess someone.

Taken out of context (the context being "there is a card game called Dominion and one of the cards is called Possession"), that statement is really creepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to be clear on this:

When A Possesses B and makes B play Possession on C:
-Does B get to choose what C does? (Believe rules say yes.)
-Who gains the card? A or B? Presume B from what I've read here.

If someone could point me to exactly how this 2-step chain goes as to when the Possession turn happens, etc. or tell me, that would be incredibly helpful.

To start as far as I know:
A plays Possession on B
A makes B play Possession on C
. . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A possesses B. During B's possessed turn, A makes B play Possession on C. Once B's possessed turn is done (with A receiving any cards), then A is done and over with. B plays hir normal turn, and then controls C because of the Possession. B receives all cards from C's possessed turn. Once C's possessed turn is over (with B receiving any cards), then C takes hir normal turn.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
A possesses B. During B's possessed turn, A makes B play Possession on C. Once B's possessed turn is done (with A receiving any cards), then A is done and over with. B plays hir normal turn, and then controls C because of the Possession. B receives all cards from C's possessed turn. Once C's possessed turn is over (with B receiving any cards), then C takes hir normal turn.

Does that make sense?

Actually, player C's possessed turn happens before player B's normal turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I had missed that before. What he said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, did I play this one wrong!

Last night we had a four player game in which I had a few Golems and a Possession and the player to my left had the same. The Golems were there just to be able to play Possession more often.

What we did wrong is the following. If a played a possession I got an extra turn with the deck of left neighbour, but when I played a Possession with his deck I got an extra turn with the deck of his left neighbour, and so on! Because of the Golems we both had this happening almost every turn... In one turn I even got 4 consecutive turns, playing a turn with each deck!

It was one of the worst games of Dominion I ever played (I won, but it wasn't fun at all, especially for the other players). I'm so glad it turned out we played it wrong.

Looking back I can see where I went wrong (the player who plays the Possession card gets to possess the next person, not the player who ordered to play the Possession card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, this is what you got wrong:

Seabie wrote:
If a played a possession I got an extra turn with the deck of left neighbour

Keep this in mind and you'll never get it wrong; you are NOT taking an extra turn. The player to your left takes an extra turn. Resolve everything as normal; you're just telling him what to do and you gain all cards that he would gain. Meaning: if you tell him to play a Witch, you will get a Curse! You're not playing with his deck, he plays an extra turn.

In general, all cards in Dominion can just be resolved by strictly following the text on them. Including Possession, even if it doesn't appear like that at first glance. No FAQ (technically) is needed, but it's of course always helpful.

-- Came here as I was looking how to resolve the Possession chains, but hope you'll see it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Actually, this is what you got wrong:

Seabie wrote:
If a played a possession I got an extra turn with the deck of left neighbour

Keep this in mind and you'll never get it wrong; you are NOT taking an extra turn. The player to your left takes an extra turn. Resolve everything as normal; you're just telling him what to do and you gain all cards that he would gain. Meaning: if you tell him to play a Witch, you will get a Curse! You're not playing with his deck, he plays an extra turn.

In general, all cards in Dominion can just be resolved by strictly following the text on them. Including Possession, even if it doesn't appear like that at first glance. No FAQ (technically) is needed, but it's of course always helpful.

-- Came here as I was looking how to resolve the Possession chains, but hope you'll see it anyway.

Also, this part was incorrect:

Seabie wrote:
but when I played a Possession with his deck I got an extra turn with the deck of his left neighbour, and so on!

This never happens. If player A possesses player B and has player B play a Possession, then player C will get an extra turn in which player B makes the decisions for him, not player A.

The tricky part comes when player A plays multiple Possessions, and has player B play Possession during his first possession. But generally the possessor would never want to make the possessed play Possession. (Personally, I hate being possessed multiple times. yuk)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.