United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated 29 June 2010

In an effort to keep threads to a reasonable length and avoid confusion here is a thread for game results from R6 and on.

Rules for sides
1. If you have played this opponent before in this tournament, switch sides from the first game. Otherwise-
2. Play the side that you have played least
3. In case of a tie above, play the side that you did not play in the previous game
4. In case it is still a tie, whomever has their name on the top side of the bracket will play Free, and the bottom side will play Shadow.

Here are the known matches:

R6 Winner's Bracket:

63. Sean McCarthy is victorious v. Bertrand

R6 Loser's Bracket:

49. C Yaure is victorious v. Matthieu Rolin
50. M Vila is victorious v. Gabriel Alonso
51. GBrown defeated by Dave65
52. Magic Gecko is defeated by Alija Vila (again, see 2009)

R7 Winner's Bracket

66. Sean McCarthy v.

R7 Loser's Bracket

53. Amado Angulo is victorious v. Christopher Yaure
54. Kevin Woj. is defeated v. Muhamed Vila
55. Cameron McKenzie is defeated by Dave65
56. Aron Phillips is defeated v. Alija Vila

R8 Loser's Bracket

59. Amado Angulo is victorious v. Muhamed Vila
60. Dave65 is defeated v. Alija Vila

R9 Loser's Bracket

61. Joe Fling is defeated by Amado Angulo
62. Veldrin is defeated by Alija Vila

R10 Loser's Bracket

64. Amado Angulo is defeated by Alija Vila

The pairings bracket is online here: http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwojtasz/WoTR/wotr2010spring.htm...

Round 3,4,5 reports and discussion should be here:
http://geekdo.com/thread/516894/2010-war-of-the-ring-online-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, looks like this should be posted here. (not sure why it's 6+ though)

Game #51 (deep in the loser's bracket)
1. GBrown v. dave65tdh (SP)
2. Turn 9 SPMV
3. Corruption at 2
4. FSP in Dagorlad
5. SP at 11 VPs
6. FP at 0 VPs

Fortress DEW v. Barad-Dur to Rivendell

Despite Shadows on the Misty Mountains and Deep Trenches, the WK initially stumbles against the Elven witch and A Power Too Great (10:4 in losses [oh no, not this again]), but Barad-Dur triple skips to the rescue to save the WK and carry the day. Now it’s fortress DEW with Legolas and Gimli (There and Back) defending as the Dwarves also come to War! along with King Brand's Men and Ranger’s of the North. Never wanting to fight a fair fight, SP rallies the troops with Pits of Mordor, Monsters Roused and the Hillmen and the WK moves west. Seeing an opening, WK ravages Rivendell and then moves on DA--all while the FSP is at the Black Gate (Dagorlad) with Sméagol still leading the way (nice Sméagol). The DA garrison easily falls, but all of Rohan has fled to HD. Nevertheless, I'm set to take the 4 cities at the end of Turn 7, but even a Many Kings and Half Orcs-reinforced Easterling army is no match for the double WR/Erebor attack with Legolas and Gimli leading the way. WK rallies another army in DG and moves north to finally finish off the DEW line for the spmv in 9. Thus it’s Lorien, Rivendell, Pelagir, DA, Edoras, Dale, (Dale), (Pelagir), WR, Erebor (with Wargs next to an empty MT and Dale and the Shire are ready to fall). Whew.

Great game with GBrown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Web site updated and is current as of the information I have received as of this post. Any log files of completed games I have not received have their game number highlighted in red. Please email me the logs and mention the game number to have them posted on the website.

Thanks,
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Phillips
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. thoronsul vs. Bruce Sturrock
2. turn... ~10 FP, ring dunk
3. Corruption = 11
4. FSP @ crack of doom
5. SP @ 10 VPs
6. FP @ 0 VPs

The game began with a nearly flawless subjugation of Rohan. Meanwhile, FSP moved along at a decent clip, but Gandalf decided not to pass through Moria, instead he led to Fellowship to the edge of Mirkwood before departing on other business along Gimli. Boromir died beforehand defending the Fellowship from orcs in the High Pass. Aragorn had left with Legolas and Merry early on, muttering something about the southern kingdom and rightful throne. Merry stopped of in Fangorn to explore the flora and fauna, meeting Treebeard in the process. Legolas mobilized the elves and bolstered the defenses at Lorien. The Shadow began to move against Lorien, but only encircled it, for A Power Too Great for the shadow had enveloped the golden wood, and none could enter save by the dark lord's direct assistance. Meanwhile, Sauron turned his attention away from the troublesome elven rings, descending upon their northern cousins in the Woodland Realm of Mirkwood. The Witch-King led an assault against Thranduils cavernous fortress, penetrating and killing all within. Meanwhile the Fellowship plodded onward, taming Smeagol while crossing through the wastes between Dale and Mordor. As the Fellowship neared the Black Gate, the enemy's search became more frantic, as well as his conquests. Erebor was subdued before the dwarves could mobilize, but Bard's grandson had roused many men from Dale to fight once Gimli and Gandalf arrived and helped spread word of the coming war. In the far west, a horde of dunlendings and uruk-hai charged across Tharbad and Enedwaith to land on the steps of the Grey Havens, but upon seeing a dwarven battalion enter ahead of them they decided to wait it out. The Great Power that was defending Lorien seemed to hold sway here as well. The horde looked east, but scouts sent to Bombadil's domain never returned, and The Power Of Tom Bombadil was too menacing for the superstitious rabble to try to overcome. In the south, Aragorn ran through conquered Rohan to see the damage for himself, but hasted south upon hearing of a mass of Southrons descending upon Pelargir. He arrived just in time to bolster the last stand of the lone garrison. While fighting mightily, the king who had returned, died. Meanwhile, Pippin was overcome in Mordor, as Smeagol became Gollum, murdering Pippin in the night, though no evidence of the deed remained. While treading through the Candle of Corpses, Frodo nearly drowned, but was pulled back at the last instant. Fortunately The Elven Cloaks and Elven Rope were at the Fellowship's disposal, though they only used the Cloak. Shelob's lair looked menacing as they passed it by, but fortunately Shelob never came out. At the gates of Lorien, the Eye had finally overcame Galadriel's power. She had diverted the eye from the Fellowship one too many times, and now hordes of orcs, uruk-hai, dunlendings, and wargs flooded the golden wood. Legolas and Galadriel and Celeborn fought bravely, killing many more than they lost. In the end, they were surrounded and killed, and Lorien razed to the ground. Now the only hope lay with the Fellowship, which stood on the knife's edge between defeat and completion of their quest. While ascending Mount Doom, Frodo and Sam Wise encountered an Orc Patrol, but Gollum declared There Is Another Way and led them into the cracks, where he himself stole back the ring, revealing the rings location and dooming the Fellowship. However, in his glee Gollum stumbled on the rocks and fell into the fires that Sauron used to craft the one ring. He cradled it as he died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoronsul and Bruce

Just watched your replay. It is incredible how FP could have won this game !!!

SP fought an excellent offensive first in Rohan then in the North and I must admire how Gandalf put the whole of the Shadow on the defensive while holding only Dale !!
Even so with all elven ring spent, a tough hunt for the ring, a renewed shadow offensive in Gondor, Lorien and the West, a corruption level reaching the limits of acceptable, this game could have gone both ways at the end.

Good job for both players in fact !!

But REMEMBER THE RING IS MINE !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been a while since I was playing WotR regularly - but by top tier games have been a welcome reminder of what I've been missing.

The second game described pretty succinctly by Thoronsul above took 3 sessions and swung backwards and forwards so brilliantly. I was trying to remind myself of the tricky exceptions and bonuses the SA can employ...as a returning veteran SA proved more rusty than my FSP exploits.

Thoronsul's only ommision from our story was the Balrog's appearance early on - prompting Gandalfs desision to hoof it over the misty mountains and the the Mirkwood. Strider made it through though...as did Legolas and Merry.

The Balrog card came out of the pack finally on turn 10 - helping to put paid to the Lorien elves. If anyone looks at the replay - check out the hunt pool on Thoronsul's gollum ditch.

Gutted.

Think both of us were acting and reacting - Thor's defensive cards stacked heavily and I never had the right cards to discard A Power TG - but always had other things I could be doing anyway. Arriving at 10 VP as I battered the FSP in Mordor...

Now I've gotta ask in game 43 - are you sure I have to be SA again? I prefer running those Hobbits me! Matthieu Rolin I'm on BST - let's play.

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minimum number of additional wins (including byes/forfeits) to win the tournament:
3 - Joe Fling, Sean McCarthy
4 - Veldrin, Aron Philips, Bertrand
5 - Amado Angulo, Rafamir
7 - Kevin Wojtaszczyk, Cameron McKenzie, Dave65
8 - Magic Gecko, Muhamed Vila, Christopher Yaure
9 - Alija Vila, Gabriel Alonso, J Wire, Mathieu Rolin, Bruce Sturrock

Edited to correct misspelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the sides are right. Matt has only played the Shadow once, so now has to play the free and you have played the free twice and shadow once, so after this game both of you will have played both sides the same amount.

Surprising that you like the FP... seems there are a couple factions in the tournament... FP likers and SP likers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
actuaryesquire wrote:
Minimum number of additional wins (including byes/forfeits) to win the tournament:

That is just plain odd.
Game results of people still in. . .
Joe Fling win win win
Sean McCarthy win win
Veldrin win
Aron Philips win win
Bertrand win win
Amado Angulo win
Rafamir win
Kevin Wojtaszczyk win win loss
Cameron McKenzie win win win loss
Dave65 loss win
Magic Gecko loss win win
Muhamed Vila win loss win
Christopher Yaure loss win win
Alija Vila loss
Gabriel Alonso loss
J Wire win loss
Mathieu Rolin loss
Bruce Sturrock win loss

Rearranged into what I would have thought is the natural way to run a tournament . .

win win win Joe Fling

win win Sean McCarthy
win win Aron Philips
win win Bertrand

win Amado Angulo
win Rafamir
win Veldrin

loss win win win Cameron McKenzie

loss win win Kevin Wojtaszczyk
loss win win Muhamed Vila
loss win win Magic Gecko
loss win win Christopher Yaure

loss win J Wire
loss win Bruce Sturrock
loss win Dave65

loss Alija Vila
loss Gabriel Alonso
loss Mathieu Rolin

I have the same record as Sean, with a loss.
How is Sean 5 games up on me?

The oddest thing about this is it does not matter.
The rules, and brackets are set.

huh? how is this round 6?

Christopher Yaure lost his first game in round 2
then Christopher Yaure won his second game in round 1
then Christopher Yaure won his third game in round 2, again.

My favorite result so far is Mathew Rolin had a bye in round ZERO for his second result.
Hey! Mathew Rolin also got a bye in round One for his Third result.
Not sure exactly what went wrong, if anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Gecko - in a double elimination tournament, generally for each round earlier that you lose your first game, you have to win two additional games in the loser's bracket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real problem is the stupid people that said they were going to play and then dropped out w/o any reason. Maybe a $5 up-front payment would help eliminate this problem. Or perhaps some other vetting method. Come on people, why did you sign up if you didn't want to play. It's only a super great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Edited to correct misspelling.

losing early makes it really hard shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
Mr. Gecko - in a double elimination tournament, generally for each round earlier that you lose your first game, you have to win two additional games in the loser's bracket.

On the other hand, in direct elimination, the losser would be out immediately.

Another way to organize the tournament is to create pools of 4/5 players like in the football worldcup. The best of the players of each pool would go in 1/4 finals or 1/8 finals with direct elimination from there on.
It would ensure that any tournament winner has played the same number of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Naaa Kevin - I've played Free then Shadow, once each. But as Matt has only played SA and not yet had a go on FSP...I'll be the bad guy.

According to this I need to play another 8 games to win? That'll take a few months!

B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sturrock
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah Game 51 - G Brown vs Dave...hope it's not representative of todays election result...

Though Dave has to take on Cameron in the next losers bracket round. Yes you tory tosser, even if you get in you'll end up fighting with yourself like Gollum vs Smeagol.

God save us from the greecey slope.

Sorry - a bit political there.

B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very anxious to play again. Some heavy competion for me in the next couple games. If I can slide past the winner of Bertrand/Aaron Philps I may be playing Veldrin or Sean McCarthy. Veldrin wrote the freakin rules and didnt McCarthy make the Java game? I may be out of my league here. I guess I will find out how good I am very soon.

By the way... Bertrand and Aaron Philps, when will your game be played? I wouldnt mind observing it if its allowed by the tournament committee.

Good luck to all that stuck around for the tourney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
actuaryesquire wrote:

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
The real problem is the stupid people that said they were going to play and then dropped out w/o any reason. Maybe a $5 up-front payment would help eliminate this problem. Or perhaps some other vetting method. Come on people, why did you sign up if you didn't want to play. It's only a super great game.

Amen! A-flippin-MEN!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magic gecko wrote:
actuaryesquire wrote:

Why?

This confused me for a moment too, but I figured it out - here's why.

Think about the winner's bracket and the loser's bracket after round 1. They both have the same number of people, and those groups could both narrow down to 1 person in the same number of games. (E.g. 8 + 4 + 2 + 1 games, if you have 16 people in each bracket.)

HOWEVER, every player (except maybe 1) will eventually pass through the loser's bracket, which means that after the first round, it still only has half the people it will eventually get. In a normal situation, doubling the number of players (and thus the number of games for a single elimination situation) just means one extra round (in this example, 16 games). But because the players are trickling in bit by bit, those ~16 extra games are spread out over the whole loser's bracket - which was just 16 games long in the first place! This makes it about twice as long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any new game results this week to post... any progress with the current games completing and being posted so I can update the brackets?

Also, email me any of the games you might have for the missing log files. A few game logs are still unaccounted for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kwojtasz wrote:
I haven't seen any new game results this week to post... any progress with the current games completing and being posted so I can update the brackets?

Also, email me any of the games you might have for the missing log files. A few game logs are still unaccounted for.

Work, School, kids, family's, responsibilities, life... come on people where are your priorities?

WOTR COMES FIRST!robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more games completed and the website is updated.

Game 41, Alonso vs Wire status?

Game 45, Angulo vs Veldrin status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lugbar wrote:
Another way to organize the tournament is to create pools of 4/5 players like in the football worldcup. The best of the players of each pool would go in 1/4 finals or 1/8 finals with direct elimination from there on.
It would ensure that any tournament winner has played the same number of games.

We had a couple different tournament styles so far, and I think this suggestion bares a lot of weight. Kinda the best of both worlds.

You could have the pools randomly assigned or by area of the world. Probably in sets of 4. Then run 4 team, double elimination tournaments for each set of 4 to get 1 winner to advance. (which with 4 team is almost the same as a round robin)

Then take all the pool winners and throw them into a double elimination tournament bracket. Any bye would go to previous champions who might have made it that far, or runner ups.

Keeping with some of the expert / novice ideas, you could even have all novice and all expert pools at the start.

One would figure some drop outs might occur, but they would be in the pools. Once the "metal bracket" of pool winners is set, I doubt those players will be dropping since they would tend to be the best/fanatical ones at that point. And they would be only a few wins from the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... will the Vila brothers tag team the defending champ, Magic Gecko, out of the tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kwojtasz wrote:
So... will the Vila brothers tag team the defending champ, Magic Gecko, out of the tournament?

I would not hold my breath on that one. Not to take anything away from the Vila Brothers but I have my money on MG in the championship. Who MG will be playing? Well that answer is getting narrowed down, but I have no idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.