Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Board to Death TV reviews Myth: Pantheons.

They give it 8.5 out of 10 and summarize the game thusly.

What's Cool:
12 Gods to choose from.
Fast paced and portable.
Awesome artwork on the God cards.
Great theme and concept.
Good strategy and luck elements combined.

What's Not:
Separating the tokens for each game takes a while.
The rule book need more examples and images of the playing area.
Summary cards have mistakes on them.

P.S. I have permission to post the Board to Death reviews at this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you have a subscription geeklist so we can be alerted when new videos are posted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrinWilliams wrote:
Do you have a subscription geeklist so we can be alerted when new videos are posted?

Yes, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a really well done video review. I can't wait to see more of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A D
msg tools
mb
I find these reviewers strange. Do they ever give less then 8 to a game? And their negatives about a game is always pointless details. Fishy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antianti wrote:
I find these reviewers strange. Do they ever give less then 8 to a game? And their negatives about a game is always pointless details. Fishy.

Wow, it is strange to you, it was clear to me in a second. These are actors/reporters. They have their own studio and do interviews with various "celebrities" at local events. They just follow the script which is written for them. Calling these things reviews is a misnomer, calling them descriptions with "hot chicks" and a "cool dude" (depends on you taste and social environment) is more appropriate. Calling them "advertisements" for their studio is probably on the mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
Antianti wrote:

Wow, it is strange to you, it was clear to me in a second. These are actors/reporters. They have their own studio and do interviews with various "celebrities" at local events. They just follow the script which is written for them. Calling these things reviews is a misnomer, calling them descriptions with "hot chicks" and a "cool dude" (depends on you taste and social environment) is more appropriate. Calling them "advertisements" for their studio is probably on the mark.

I kinda think you're over-estimating them in a such a way that somehow shows them in a negative light. Who is this faceless studio that employs "cool dudes" and "hot chicks" to make money? This makes no sense to do as there is no money in making board games, and I imagine there's even less in reviewing them.

Yeah, they have a script but I'm willing to guess these "actors" wrote it themselves. I watched some of their other videos. Most of their games have high scores because they choose to review gaming staples like Carcasonne, Survive and Dungeon Lords. I don't think they're a corporate pawn to make board game companies money or just a bunch of pretty faces. They're just be a little softer than most reviewers here on the geek.

And frankly, their demonstrations are thorough enough that even if they're sugar coating games, you can tell if the game is something you'd be interested in owning.

Also, as a professional actor I can say I'm not that desperate that I would turn to reviewing games as my source of income. If I'm gonna make a video review (and I might soon) it's gonna be because I damn well enjoying games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jheaney wrote:
If I'm gonna make a video review (and I might soon) it's gonna be because I damn well enjoying games.

Best approach would be to do a review because it's what you want to do and hopefully know how to do (the review part, not the video "trickery"). Playing games and thinking about them is not the same thing. While enthusiasm about a game can attract and convince viewers, written script will make this nigh impossible. (I'd suggest using a sketch or a score with what you want to say and then improvising as you go along). In my attitude toward reviews I would even go so far as to say that review doesn't need any description or shot of the components though they can help you in the point you want to make. I'm kinda old school here (and actually wring (dance, theatre) reviews) so I'm fond of reviews being about content not style. boredtodeath went in the opposite direction, so I can't really endorse what they're doing. You end up with presentation of how nice the game and presenters look, the opinion was usually put into one sentence and while some might find this "cool vibe" with component shots informative, it doesn't help me with my purchases. At all. I'm in a situation where I can't try games before I buy so it's very important to get the feel of the game from a review, with them I usually only got the feel of a written script with gloss.

But I haven't watched boredtodeath in a long while, I prefer to get my information from sources more useful to me. Maybe they do their stuff differently these days. Who knows?

So this would be my explanation of "where I come from" in hope it can be of some use if you decide to make your own reviews (in whatever form) in which case also: good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
I'm in a situation where I can't try games before I buy so it's very important to get the feel of the game from a review, with them I usually only got the feel of a written script with gloss.

That I understand. It may not quite have the personality of a DiceTower, Calandale or Castelli review. That's not an insult as few reviewers have that amount of personality. Those guys are quirky and in their own way kinda brilliant.

You know those times where you get really uppity at 1:18 in the morning and then the next night you look at what you wrote and think, "I wonder why I got so uppity."

This is one of those times. Didn't mean to come off so strongly.

I still think their review is good, but on second watch I think the score does come somewhat out of no where. They might do better to not script that final bit so that we really get a "real reaction" as you seem to be suggesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jheaney wrote:
You know those times where you get really uppity at 1:18 in the morning and then the next night you look at what you wrote and think, "I wonder why I got so uppity."

I have a year or so of that behind and I was getting tired of it...
Quote:
This is one of those times. Didn't mean to come off so strongly.
No worries. My first coments were even stronger. (And it seems us Europeans consider this more normal than it's considered across the pond).

jheaney wrote:
They might do better to not script that final bit so that we really get a "real reaction" as you seem to be suggesting.

If they want to demo the game, I have no problem with it being scripted as it makes it shorter and more the the point. But they they could make an unscripted solo shot of each presenter in the end saying what they feel. And the rest of the team could comment as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.