5 Posts

Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts after first game, Five Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't bring myself to post very often but I wanted to share with everyone my thoughts after my first gameof Zombie State.

I pre-ordered this game the day I first saw it here on the 'Geek after reading the rules. The game arrived this week and everything about the game, from the size of the game box being tailored to fit the postage box to the introduction price w/ free shipping and the quality and quantity of all the components to the fact that all the card tokens were pre punched, spoke to the fact that this was a labor of love the creators want people to enjoy.

I took it to the localish game store to day and after a couple lighter warm-up games I unleashed Zombie State upon an unsuspecting group. There were 5 of us, all competent players. The rules and concepts were generally easy to explain with the zombie movement requiring a couple examples. I went through the turn sequence from start to finish, explained that winning in this game meant that you still lost, just not as badly as everyone else and we ran through the technologies on our own with a couple questions about how and when to use them that were easily answered.

I think we were fortunate on our starting outbreaks as we got hit in our 1 population territories and I think a 3 Pop. We were also treated very kindly be the random event deck in the early game and all of our technology rolls passed first turn. I think there were only 3 or 4 tech rolls that failed the entire game. Our first outbreak from cards didn't happen until turn 5 or 6 and we only had one turn with two outbreaks on the last turn. The game lasted nine turns (more on that in a moment) and the virus went airborne dooming us all. North America came out on top with 46 points and South America was right behind with 45. Africa and Europe were both in the mid to upper thirties but poor Asia was reduced to isolated quarantined enclaves in Burma and Indonesia. We hit the endgame before anyone researched a tier 3 tech but everyone ended with at least 1 tier 2 technology.

Everyone really enjoyed the game and was eager to play it again next week. I'm not sure how long the play took, but it seemed more towards the shorter end of the scale. There was indeed player interaction throughout the game; two players walled off a territory in northern Africa to contain a large horde of zombies, and I used my sonic tech twice to draw zeds away from my population centers and into my neighbors. At one point Asia dropped the barrier North America had raised between Eastern Siberia and Alaska late in the game round and only a timely event card kept Alaska from being overrun. I think everyone made a couple rookie mistakes but only Asia really paid the price.

I think the rules are very well written and the researchable technologies are all interesting but there seemed to be several technologies that are must haves.

Vaccinations - Everyone researched this early on with North and South America picking it up first turn. Spending 1FP to prevent a killed Pop from becoming a Zed is a bargain and slows down the growth of the horde and helps you control the eventual movement of the zeds. There were a couple turns where all the remaining FPs a player had went to vaccinations and it wasn't a bad play.

MV1 Screening - Everyone but I had this one researched as their first tier 2 tech and I only avoided it to see if I could get by without it. Once a player had it they would use it every time unless they neglected to hold onto a FP for the mutation phase's outbreak. Also I don't see how you can ever win an outright victory without this tech. Also a bargain at 1 FP and 1 Resource.

Raised Borders - Once again everyone but I had this one and I took Sonic lure instead. This is key for controlling the flow of the zeds and setting up zombie pit traps to keep them away from your main populations.

Rebuild Infrastructure - This one got researched by everyone once they realized what it did. For 1FP you basically gain 2VP. The last turn I didn't vaccinate my killed populations and instead spent all 6 Fps on 12 more population.

I think Raised borders is ok because of it's high cost, but the other three seem very effective for the costs involved and I don't see a game where most experienced players won't research all three. From my reading of the rules we were playing it right that each tech could be used as many times as you could pay for it each turn. I think that's right.

The only real rules question we had was whether once you researched your first tier 2 tech you moved your mutation marker two spaces that turn only or if from that point on you moved your marker 2 spaces.

I'm always happy when I play something that makes me glad I spent the money on it, so thanks to the shamblers at Zombie State Games for a great game.

--Alt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed review - the game sounds as good as I was hoping it would be !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Altropos wrote:

The only real rules question we had was whether once you researched your first tier 2 tech you moved your mutation marker two spaces that turn only or if from that point on you moved your marker 2 spaces.

--Alt

I thinik it clearly states in the rules on the last or second to last page it's one time only. And I think the tier 2 is only 1 space and he tier 3 is 2 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you guys get by without Defensive Maneuvering? That's something I think is interesting--all the games I've played, a completely different set of technology felt like "must have". Vaccinations and Screening never seemed like it was worth it, as I'd much rather have some military there to put down the zombie menace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nielsen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I had similar first and second tier tech purchases in my group but one of our number managed victory by picking air strike and nukes during 2nd and third tier (In addition to MV1 screening during the 2nd). He was able to clear his territory and achieved the outright victory condition. We could have acted aggressively against him sooner by removing razed borders between shared areas, but he'd timed his move well, and was able to nuke the only zombies on his border before we'd gotten a chance to let them in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.