Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grace Daines
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As this is our first time attending Origins, I have been checking the website for information about the different things to do there. As has been discussed on BGG, the website isn't very useful...

I assume there is a venders area, with demonstration of games and the ability to purchase games, and I assume there is a gaming "room." It sounds like there are several places to eat nearby.

Does my convention pass get me into all of the areas? Do I need to bring games to play, or does the Columbus Game Club have their games out? Can you buy only the new games being demonstrated, or do the game companies bring some of the older games too? Is there a game swap area?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most fans of Origins will tell you that the gaming is very good there (particularly so for Board games). However the exhibit hall is (sadly) very small (comparatively speaking). Still there should be some vendors showcasing new stuff there.

I'm sure they have all the other stuff too (game swap, auctions, etc...) The Pass should get you into all the other areas.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant speak specifically about this year, as I have not looked or going (as of yet). However, I found their website not to be to useful. You usually, have to log or actual purchase a ticket in order to see the event schedule.

As far as vendors, a huge part of the con devoted to sellers (new, used and demonstrators). I have family nearby, so sometimes I just go for the day to visit the Exhibition Hall.

Be warned its not well organized per se, so you will have to work a bit to find what you want.

Also, in order to play games, you have to have "tickets". Or can buy "generic tickets." Games are about two tickets for a 4 hour session. Or you can buy "Ribbons" which gives you unlimited access for that particular genre. If you are wargamer, there is a huge open gaming room with tables, and a local gaming group, CABS I think, has a significant amount games they will loan out in the room.

I have not been there in a few years, but I have always found it a bit confusing and chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually there are two to three large rooms, one for the exhibitors (which includes vendors, retailers, small companies, etc.), one for open gaming (informal, no tickets needed if I remember last year right), and sometimes one for miniatures gaming (some incredible setups, but this was combined with the open game room one year I think).

The exhibitor hall will have new, used, and demo games. There is also an auction which can land you some great deals but it takes some time and attention. There is also a 'buy-it-now' type of room with fixed prices that can change as the convention continues (usually cheaper on Sunday, for example).

I don't think there is a formal swap area but anybody can put items up for auction or in the 'buy-it-now' room.

The rest of the convention center areas are dedicated to event gaming of all types. These side rooms usually need pre-event signups and cost a few dollars. You can buy generic tokens and try to get in on a game in case of a no-show or if the event coordinator can fit an extra seat in. It's somewhere around $1.50 per two hour slot. The rooms are open so feel free to wander around. The Call of Cthulhu folks put on an impressive show -- if you want to try a role-playing game I've had my best experiences with those groups. The D&D is more miss than hit, but the past few years I haven't left the board game area.

The board game/war game section is thanks to the Columbus Area Board Gaming Society. It's upstairs on one end of the convention center (north side I think) and it's a token every two hours or $15 for an unlimited ribbon. CABS has a massive collection, sponsors provide door prizes, soda coupons, misc freebies, and generally make Origins awesome. Rio Grande Games in particular is a fantastic sponsor and in past years has provided at least one free game with every badge ribbon purchase (edit: sorry, it's the board game room ribbon that gets all the nifty free stuff).

There are also usually tables all over the place with pickup games of all kinds, 'unofficial' so no tokens or badges needed.

A day-pass option is available rather than a badge purchase which provides access to the exhibitor hall for something like $5 a day, but you don't get event access which includes the board game room.

The convention center can be a little confusing to navigate. The exhibit hall is easy to find, but the side rooms and board game area can take a little hunting. Spend some time wandering, people watching, and checking out games. It's a friendly bunch.

Check out the North Market for lunch, the Vietnamese place will fill you up fairly cheap, and the cassoulet at the wild game place is ridiculously good. There are a bunch of other restaurants in walking distance as well.

All prices and locations are from last year and mostly from memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'll agree that for some reason, the Origins website this year isn't that great on relaying information. I think everyone hit your answers in the posts before me, but here's some more info:

- The CABS board game room requires you to buy generic tokens ($2 each this year) or a board game ribbon (don't know the cost yet) to play in there. You can bring your own games, the games you buy or check out games from CABS'
immense library

- If you don't want to do that, there are open gaming areas all over the con that you can just sit down and start playing a game. Origins, in previous years, has also had its own board game room (usually in the CCG/minis room) where you could check out games, but their library is not as extensive as CABS.

- As for a game swap area, there will be a math trade at Origins this year. We are discussing it in this thread and more details will be out in the next few weeks. IMO, this is a great way to trade games.

I think overall you'll have fun. Origins has gone through its up and downs in the past few years, but it does appear to be slowly regaining. Hopefully it will stay there.

My only advice is to set aside a few hours to explore the convention. There's so much happening it could be overwhelming.

There also used to be a Visitors Guide to Origins webpage, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grace Daines
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the information. Nice to have an idea what to expect--looking forward to this exerience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
However the exhibit hall is (sadly) very small (comparatively speaking). Still there should be some vendors showcasing new stuff there.

The exhibit hall is only small in comparison to GenCon. In comparison to the many regional conventions I have attended, it is huge.

I second the recommendations for the CABS library and room. If you are a board gamer, you can spend your entire convention in it. You can also play in the event rooms in tournaments, such as the Puffing Billy (train games). In addition, vendors such as Looney Labs and Chaosium have their own dedicated rooms with people to teach/promote their games. Finally, Origins is very child friendly, with a great family gaming room where you can play with your kids or leave them with volunteers who will keep them busy (just be realistic about how long you can leave your kids based on their age and maturity level).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
wytefang wrote:
However the exhibit hall is (sadly) very small (comparatively speaking). Still there should be some vendors showcasing new stuff there.

The exhibit hall is only small in comparison to GenCon. In comparison to the many regional conventions I have attended, it is huge.

I second the recommendations for the CABS library and room. If you are a board gamer, you can spend your entire convention in it. You can also play in the event rooms in tournaments, such as the Puffing Billy (train games). In addition, vendors such as Looney Labs and Chaosium have their own dedicated rooms with people to teach/promote their games. Finally, Origins is very child friendly, with a great family gaming room where you can play with your kids or leave them with volunteers who will keep them busy (just be realistic about how long you can leave your kids based on their age and maturity level).

Gen Con is almost incomparable as well. Although Fantasy Flight supports them more, there is a lot of good support for origins from board game companies.

Mayfair is always a strong supporter alongside Decision games and a few others like Troll and Toad. Looney Labs sees Origins as their big yearly event. Z-Man plays it close to the chest, but I can't help but notice Zev being the guest of honor. Also, I remember one of their big games debuted for sale there last year (Arabian Nights). There are also tons of smaller groups (like Twilight Creations who I love visiting just because they are nice!)

I hope to see some returns this year (Flying Frog, GMT) for some that were absent last year. We will see though.

My point is that GenCon is the WalMart of gaming, you can find anything you want, but it is crowded and less pleasant. Origins is more like the Local Game Store. Less hectic, focus on the games... and a lot of fun.

That is just how I see it, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Downs
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just reviewed the artist packet, and haven't seen mention yet, but it looks like there is a Viking theme and an India theme this year... I wonder if these will be full tracks or not...

http://originsgamefair.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=jYxxNqd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brumitt
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When do the geeklist game planning agendas start appearing? There are some longer games I really would like to play at the con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
houdinimachine wrote:
When do the geeklist game planning agendas start appearing? There are some longer games I really would like to play at the con.

Feel free to throw one up any time. You probably won't see any though til closer to the con...prob in about a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to get some Dungeon Twisting in. It is my newest minor obsession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brumitt
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to find someone to play Maria with (among other things) since it's not on the official event schedule. Oh well, I guess I'll wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.