Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy of this game earlier in the week. Saturday came and my excitement could not be contained. I resolve to play a doomed solo game with only one Investigator, just to learn the rules. How did it go?

---

The board is set up and Yog-Sothoth begins to gnaw at the edges of reality. Having no experience with the game, this looks to me like a lucky draw: if I pursue a strategy of closing gates, I will also be building up the currency needed to battle Yog-Sothoth himself. My investigator is Mandy Thompson and I recall having read that she's really powerful; the reroll ability tells me why. For starting equipment, she gets a Map of Arkham and Stealth ability plus two tomes. Her stack of clues, bonus movement and stealth... all this speaks to a strategy of closing gates and avoiding fights (she has no weapons). I'm ready!

Mandy's research has reached a critical moment. She has learned Yog-Sothoth is preparing to destroy mankind. Will she be in time? In the Witch House, reality shivers and a gate opens to Yuggoth. Mandy must hurry! A Fire Vampire flies from the gate and takes to the skies of Arkham. Not wanting to fight, she must not dawdle in the streets where the Vampire will spot her.

She runs full speed to the Black Cave, where a clue has appeared, to prepare herself to seal a gate as early as possible. She takes the two clues but becomes lost in a maze of caverns. With only one die to roll, she misses the check; but she has a reroll and the die comes up a success. She's out! As the first turn ends, the gate in the Witch House surges and a Mi-Go issues forth (from Yuggoth, appropriately!) and the skies of Arkham gain another predator. Another clue appears at the Black Cave and Mandy now has 7! She's very lucky.

With two monsters in the sky, there is no question of stopping in the streets. Mandy runs for the Witch House and steps through the gate. In Yuggoth, a horrific visage mocks her and her sanity reels. One die is all she has and it fails; using her reroll, she again succeeds! She is becoming too lucky and I fear for the change of fortune. In Independence Square, a gate opens to the Abyss and a High Priest appears. What foul ritual has he performed? The doom track advances to 2.

Mandy progresses through Yuggoth and is illuminated by a ray of otherworldy light. She fails a Will check, but her reroll is held back for closing the gate. She drops her Ancient Tome in confusion and despair. A gate opens in the Unnameable and a Byakhee issues forth, adding to the crowded skies. And now, disaster strikes. The Mythos Deck decrees that gates can no longer be sealed! Mandy's only viable strategy is dashed. Alone, she'll never get all gates closed at once and facing Yog-Sothoth is not a desirable option. Will she recover from this setback?

Mandy emerges from Yuggoth and takes a big gamble. Rather than closing the gate, she waits... Her luck returns and the environment changes once more. A surge of monsters issues from the Independence Square gate, and three beasts appear on the Outskirts of Arkham.

So far, Mandy has been extremely lucky. She's made two checks of 1 die (thanks to her reroll), she's had two monster surges (which have slowed the doom track) and 3/4 of the monsters in Arkham are in the sky. As long as she stays out of the streets, she can avoid them.

Mandy sits tight in the Witch House and reads the King in Yellow, but gleans nothing from the text. She attempts to seal the gate but, with a -2 for the gate and -1 for Yog-Sothoh, she can't get it done even with her Research ability. The gate in the Witch House pulses and three more monsters appear on the Outskirts.

Mandy continues her vigil in the Witch House and picks up 4 clues from the King in Yellow. Horrified by her revelations she burns the book. Uttering a ritual best forgotten, she closes and seals the gate to Yuggoth. Many monsters are returned howling to the dark. And she was just in time. Her Elder Sign seals the Witch House from another invasion and there is a moment of peace.

Mandy rushes to the Unnameable and finds herself thrust into the Dreamlands. She is met by frigid winds, but presses on resolutely. Meanwhile, on earth, another gateway to the Abyss yawns wide in the Graveyard and a Formless Spawn erupts into Rivertown. But that is the least of Mandy's concerns, as a Great Ritual has begun in French Hill and she will be sorely pressed to stop it.

The gate back home begins to close... Mandy must be fast! But she's no athlete and even her reroll and SIX clue tokens cannot save her as she misses the gate. When you're luck is out, it is OUT. She is Lost in Time and Space, where Yog-Sothoth devours her. At least the Dreamlands gate closed?

Bob Jenkins has been unaware of these happenings but as he leaves the general store, his eyes are opened to a new world of terror in the town he calls home. Sneaking past the Formless Spawn in the street, he makes his way to the Black Cave, seeking clues as to what's happening. Here he becomes lost. Mathematically, he has no real chance to stop the Great Ritual. Time is running out... A gate opens in the Woods.

Bob is stuck in the caves and encounters a strange mountain man, but cannot secure his aid. Another surge, and the Outskirts overflow as the Terror Level rises.

Now Bob must act. He again sets out in search of clues, but this time cannot evade the Formless Spawn. He is hurled from his motorcycle as he tries to ride past. Although battered, he has screws up his determination and throws a flask of Holy Water at the Spawn. It dissolves before his eyes. A gate opens at the Miskatonic Science Lab, a Cthonian crawls forth onto the campus and a Fire Vampire descends from the sky to assault Bob Jenkins.

Bob evades the Vampire and makes for the Historical Society to gather clues. There is another surge and a fog rolls in. For now, he can travel unseen by the circling Vampire... but the impending Ritual may be the end of him.

Bob rides to the Unvisited Isle, where he has a mind-bending experience. Losing one sanity, he gains 4 clue tokens. Bob knows what he has to do. Poor, dead Mandy's seal holds and the Witch House is silent. The calm before the storm: the Great Ritual is now complete.

Bob flies across town to the Woods, where he steps through into the Great Hall of Celeano. There he finds a cache of papers that yields another clue. Another gate opens in the Unnameable and the Woods gate surges. The terror level rises.

Continuing through the Great Hall yields no tangible results, but back in Arkham the fabric of reality continues to buckle. Monsters pour forth and a gate opens in the Black Cave. The terror level rises and the General Store closes. Meanwhile, rumors of walking dead accelerate the Terror of the citizens.

Bob returns from the Great Hall and seals the Gate through force of will. But while he was gone, two more gates opened. Two gates surge and the populace really begins wigging out. The Feds raid Arkham and clear the streets... for now.

Bob rushes to the streets of Rivertown and gives up two Gate Trophies to reassure the populace and the rumors of the walking dead subside. Another surge brings a Cultist and a Dark Young. The fog lifts as Darke's Carnival rolls into town and Bob is out in the open where the flying Fire Vampire might see him at any moment.

Bob wants to close the easiest gate, at the Unnameable, but a Dark Young blocks the path. He dives into the Abyss through the Graveyard gate, where he finds a barren plain. The gates in Arkham surge and the Curiosity Shop closes.

Continuing through the Abyss, Bob takes a minor injury. A gate opens on the Unvisited Isle, leading to Another Dimension, and the terror level rises again. Worse still, a Rumor comes into play that threatens to remove the two gate seals already in place. Bob will have to use all his clue tokens to stop it instead of sealing the Abyss gate.

Bob cannot bear to see his work go undone, so he takes a big risk. He steps out of the gate and, successfully closing it, burns his Research Materials and 4 clue tokens to seal the gate. It leaves him with no clues to stop the rumor and he desperately hopes he can get what he needs from his volume of the King in Yellow.

The three sealed gates are beginning to help as, for the third time in four Mythos phases, one of the two gate cards is negated. But the monster surges are creating critical problems as the terror level rises again to 8. Soon the streets may be overrun. On the bright side, a fourth clue has appeared at Hibb's Roadhouse, giving Bob the chance to get what he needs to stop the rumor.

Bob rides his motorcycle to Hibb's and picks up four clues, but cannot decipher the King in Yellow. Another monster surge pushes the terror level to nine. Things look bleak. Additionally, the Cthonian shifts underneath Arkham and Bob loses 1 Stamina. A series of single losses has now pushed him to 1 Stamina; he's on the verge of exhaustion or worse. And soon the streets threaten to teem with monsters… unless Yog-Sothoth awakens first. There are now 6 open gates.

Rushing out to the streets of Easthaven, Bob finally gets what he needs from the King in Yellow. He uses all 8 of his clues to reduce the quickly-growing rumor to 1. So close! The Fire Vampire sees him in the streets and swoops down. More monsters in the Outskirts push the population of Arkham to the brink of terror… level 10!

Bob rushes to the Silver Twilight lodge for a clue, hoping to undue the dangerous rumor but fearing all is for naught. He pays $3 to become a member while he's there. The Independence Square gate pulses and a gate to R'lyeh opens at Hibb's Roadhouse. 6 more monsters erupt into Arkham.

Feeling doom closing in, Bob rushes to dispel the rumor, but a Cultist stands in his way. Fortified by Yog-Sothoth, the Cultist is too much for Bob to beat and he loses the opportunity even to finally put the rumor to rest. On the bright side, seals hold fast as two Mythos cards are rendered ineffective.

Bob rests in the hospital, but the time spent there is costly: twelve monsters appear and the streets are fully overrun.

--

At this point, I had to go to a friend's house and I didn't think I had a chance, with the streets positively clogged with monsters and the doom track two spots from summoning Yog-Sothoth.

I had a lot of very good luck in this game, overall. If it hadn't been for the Great Ritual, I think I could have potentially won with a single investigator on my first play. That was something I did not expect! However, it was mathematically impossible to prevent the Ritual, as I had no Spell cards in play when the card came up and I would have needed to acquire 3 and get them to the appointed location to stop it.

Overall, I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed watching the story unfold. I think I made a couple of small mistakes, in terms of losing track of things and forgetting to do them, but I had read enough to understand the rules pretty well overall. I can't wait to play again and rope in a few friends asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
She attempts to seal the gate but, with a -2 for the gate and -1 for Yog-Sothoh

One of those rules people seem to miss quite a bit. Y-S adds 1 to the difficulty of each gate, doesn't affect the modifier. So -2 gate becomes -2 [2], that is you roll at -2 and need 2 success in the skill check to close. Page 13 talks about modifiers vs difficulty difference.

Quote:
Bob rests in the hospital, but the time spent there is costly: twelve monsters appear and the streets are fully overrun.

--

At this point, I had to go to a friend's house and I didn't think I had a chance, with the streets positively clogged with monsters and the doom track two spots from summoning Yog-Sothoth.

Once Terror hits 10, monster limit is removed and can result in the GOO waking up from too many monsters.

"5. Terror Level 10 and Too Many
Monsters
The Ancient One also awakens if the terror level has
reached 10 and there are monsters in play equal to twice
the normal monster limit (for example, 16` monsters in a
five-player game)." (p. 20)

So in a 1-investigator game, 8 monsters in Arkham wakes the GOO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out those mistakes. Many details to learn in this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, on turn two, when the clue appeared in The Black Cave, Mandy would have to stay there if she choose to pick it up, rather than pick it up and move to the open gate at The Witch House.

The rules state somewhere that upon picking up a clue, the investigators' movement ends immediately.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
The rules state somewhere that upon picking up a clue, the investigators' movement ends immediately.

That's backwards. Picking up Clues does not end your movement. Once you end you movement, you may pick up Clues. It is one of those subtle little things in Arkham that you have to follow in order not to have further rule questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. The point being that once a clue is picked up, the investigator can't immediately leave and go somewhere else. Someone posted somewhere around here that if a clue appears in a location with an ivestigator already standing there, the clue rains down, lands in their pocket and they can leave right away.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Right. The point being that once a clue is picked up, the investigator can't immediately leave and go somewhere else. Someone posted somewhere around here that if a clue appears in a location with an ivestigator already standing there, the clue rains down, lands in their pocket and they can leave right away.

Brian

Right, but I am specifically speaking of when you enter a location with a Clue and a monster. You canNOT pick up the Clue, end your movement and then deal with the monster.

The correct order is:
1) end your movement
2) deal with the monster
and if you survive,
3) pick up the Clue.

The new FAQ is probably going to state that anytime you end a phase on a location and there is a Clue, you can take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.