Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Vasey
United States
Lincolnshire
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first heard about this amazing game whilst listening to Tom Vassel's podcast "The Dice Tower". Not usually a podcast associated with war games, but Moritz Eggert was sharing some thoughts on great solitaire war games and he gave this one a glowing report.

How did you discover WTID?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike E.
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I check in with the Consimworld social site on a daily basis, and I think I learned of it there. The thread "What are you playing?" is where people comment on new games they have currently on the table. Interestingly enough, I had absolutely no intention of purchasing this game. Not only was the Falklands theme of no interest to me, but the price tag was really high. Yet, I got taken in by the overwhelmingly positive comments and interesting AAR's posted on BGG, so now I'm the proud owner of the game. I'm looking forward to getting some time this summer to where I can really delve into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stumbled across it when searching for solitaire wargames either here or at ConsimWorld. This was when it was still titled "I Counted Them All Out". Pre-ordered it as soon as I could. Also gave Dan some proofreading help later on in the production schedule. Played it, loved it, reviewed it...the rest is history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read about it here on BGG. I think it was in one of the solo-wargame geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me also CSW. On the front page there are many announcements of new games. When I have the name of the game I go to BGG to keep track of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw the session reports on the front page of the geek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saw some early pic of the map when still in development, here around the geek'

Forgot about it and then, some time later, suddenly say it at my LFGS and bought it in an heartbeat.

Never regreted it

PS: Nice idea for a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came to this game the long way. I stumbled on Mark Mahaffery's web page while looking at the Blackbeard map and waiting for my preorder of that game. I was interested in "I counted them all out" but sat on the fence too long and the name changed, it was printed, it received rave reviews, and was sold out. In spite of the shipping cost "over the pond", I wasn't going to miss out on the second try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Found out about it through my friend:
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fraser
United States
Melissa
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall learned about it on this list http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11710/item/935343#item... "Always alone.... the definitive list of single player games. on BBG", or some similar list. Thought it was way too expensive, waffeled, and bought Carrier instead but kept an eye on it. Missed the first edition, then read the session reports and thought this is one I have to have. So ordered it and got it time to join the May http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/54347/let-us-bring-har.... Current evaluation is that it is a good value. Expensive but worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw one of the random adverts that comes up when you log on to this site. As soon as the words Falklands War registered my interest was piqued. Looked into the blurb, followed the WTID's evolutionary process and thought I am having some of that! My sense of urgency was such that I did not bother with the usual civilities of creating a general and financial outlay myth to the wife as to why such a game was an essential purchase on my part. Simply ordered and paid for it knowing full well that my wife would be the one present when delivery came. I simply accepted that my subsequent explanation would fall on deaf ears.

No regrets, will probably adopt the same approach with their next collective effort as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the title on BGG's Hotlist. One click on the link and I was hooked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
o0dano0o wrote:
Found out about it through my friend:
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

...who clicked on a link to a game called "I Counted Them All Out," because it seemed like a very odd name for a game. What I found was a beautiful, ambitious solitaire wargame covering a conflict I knew almost nothing about, in an era of warfare about which I was largely ignorant.

As a mostly solitaire wargamer who likes to learn new things, I jumped on the first printing like a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for a solitaire game and found it through one of the geeklists.

I waited for some reviews and session reports and managed to get one of the last copies of the first run. Top fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Osborne
England
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across it on one of the solo games lists here on BGG, then having read a load of reviews went and pre-ordered and have no regrets about doing so. As soon as I can lay claim to the dining table for a couple of evenings it will come out to play.

Somehow I wish the board were smaller though as I am away on a training course for a week soon and I doubt the hotel will provide a big enough table to lay the board out in all of its magnificence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to Stanley for a short summer vacation in the Falklands and found out every Pub was boiling with "Hurray!!" and Wicked!", coming from crowds around a lad playing this gem on the pool table, sweating face and all.
Then I looked it up in the BGG and found the game there too.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inefable urlik wrote:
Went to Stanley for a short summer vacation in the Falklands and found out every Pub was boiling with "Hurray!!" and Wicked!", coming from crowds around a lad playing this gem on the pool table, sweating face and all.
Then I looked it up in the BGG and found the game there too.whistle

That's rather cool. I don't think there are many games in existence that would even *have* the Falkland Islands on the map board - much less being a central part of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, first heard about it from Moritz's segment on The Dice Tower, and was very intrigued. I still haven't bought it yet, but it's probably only a matter of time. A short time at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hunt
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Moritz Eggert again,on The Dice Tower. The FedEX truck just delivered it 10 minutes ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw it here on the 'geek. I'm a long-time Armchair Admiral, playing, or wanting to play anyway, Harpoon. The Falklands brewed up when I was 22, and watching TV carefully every morning, waiting for more news. My biggest "jolt" was hearing we (Canada ) were gonna send 3 destroyers. Then heard they were "Trudeau, Chretian, Turner" (our PM and 2 ministers, politicians who were 'destroying the economy') Sigh.

Later met a co-worker who's brother was an SAS Sgt, who died in the Falklands. "Was he on the helicopter?" to which she replied "Yes".

So a long-standing interest in this particular conflict. Many books on shelf in basement. Me and a buddy put together a rather interesting alternate-history Falklands Scenario, doing our best to remove aircraft and subs as they make Harpoon so very difficult (and anyoone at a Toronto Convention would be a Harpoon beginner). Basically, Belgrano, her sister ship (pier side queen, rotting there and providing parts and training in real life), and the 2 destroyers that were with her, give Conquereor the slip and sprint for the TF. TF splits off Antrim and Glamorgan with SeaSlug (Harpoon allows it an anti-ship capability that is fairly tough) and I believe Plymouth and 1 other frigate. All that an excuse to have a surface action, either a missile duel or slug match depending on who finds who first. (The helos make ALL the difference spotting the enemy). (To make it really weird, we added a squadron of neutral fishing boats, A factory ship and 3 trawlers, working the outside of the exclusion zone. Factory Ship was named "Kobiashi Maru")

So anyway, phrases like "I counted them all Out" are familiar to me, as I own that particular book. So I just monitored TWiD and eventually emailed the North American importer/distributor, and voila, here I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.