Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
My 8-yo son is asking for a Legend of Zelda Board Game. I suppose I could proxy something with Heroscape but I don't think that's what he wants, and I'm not really up for it right now.

Any suggestions for a Legend of Zelda type board game?

And before I press post I check and lo and behold there is The Legend of Zelda and appears to be a bit of a collectable item. Hmmm and there is one available on eBay.

The questions still stands, any suggestions for a Legend of Zelda type board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you are serious about it, I guess your best bet might be to convert a simple (pnp-) dungeon crawler by making some paper standees from graphics you can find on the net. Building those and then adapting the rules to fit the given theme together with your son might be the best part of it anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
wolfzell wrote:
Well, if you are serious about it, I guess your best bet might be to convert a simple (pnp-) dungeon crawler by making some paper standees from graphics you can find on the net. Building those and then adapting the rules to fit the given theme together with your son might be the best part of it anyway...

Thank you for the suggestion but no. As stated above I'm not up for that right now.

I should have clarified for a game off the shelf. I just don't have the time to work on another project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J K
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just buy the classic one from ebay. If nothing else he has a neat collectible item. But from the look at the board it might have a little more depth to it than "role dice and move that many".

If that answer isn't sufficient...maybe go with Runebound. He could always pretend the Miniatures are Link and Zelda. It has a run around Hyrule and kill things feel.

Good Luck....I wish my 1 year old son was begging Daddy for a Zelda game lol. He mainly begs for his "passy" though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guy

Snohomish
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually own that Zelda board game, and if you're going to buy it, just buy it for the collectible nature of the item. The game itself is not very good. It's essentially a memory game and does not offer any interesting choices. Sorry I don't have a recommendation for a game... I, too, have often yearned for a cool Zelda board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hopper
msg tools
I would recommend Descent: Journeys in the Dark. While not exactly Zelda the game is a dungeon crawl with a lot of cool items you can get out of chests. You probably could recreate some of the Zelda dungeons using the Descent rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, just find some zelda miniatures somewhere and put them into whatever appropriate monster fighting/dungeon crawling/ tactical combat game you feel like!

I would totally love a zelda style boardgame . . . now I'm going to end up thinking of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting question. Legend of Zelda seems like one of the pillars of fantasy games / dungeon crawls but when I think of the fantasy games available to board gamers i can't think of one that comes close to the Zelda experience. You'd need a game that dealt with combat in a much different way. Also something that focused more on exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think your best bet is the Road to Legend Descent expansion. It has more of the encounter/adventure feel with some dungeons thrown in. The heart tokens even sort of look like heart containers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Coeur D'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound is your best bet as far as a Zelda type of game. It focuses on the over world adventure feel. It might be a bit long for an 8 year old.

Descent: Road to Legend would be AWESOME if it had a Zelda theme, but probably WAY too much for an 8 year old.

I think it really depends on the child. The Legend of Zelda board game might be just at his speed right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thanks for the input people thumbsup I actually have Descent and the expansions (unplayed as of yet shake ) I just throwing the idea out there to see if there is something lighter I'm unaware of.

As for those who've suggesting the DYI option that will probably be the way we will need to go.

Maybe this summer I can find time for a project like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone online did a Zelda Epic Duels game based on Star Wars Epic Duels:

http://www.dorkistan.com/duels/zelda/decks.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Helljin wrote:
My 8-yo son is asking for a Legend of Zelda Board Game. I suppose I could proxy something with Heroscape but I don't think that's what he wants, and I'm not really up for it right now.

Any suggestions for a Legend of Zelda type board game?

And before I press post I check and lo and behold there is The Legend of Zelda and appears to be a bit of a collectable item. Hmmm and there is one available on eBay.

The questions still stands, any suggestions for a Legend of Zelda type board game.

Buy him an N64 with Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask - I reckon you could get all 3 for fairly cheap on ebay.

If he already has them then tell him to go play them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about pimping Talisman by simply replacing one of the character cards/boards with a Link card - you could make 4-5 'growing up' image cards which are replaced as your life points increase. It would be fun to see him shrink to a younger age when life points are lost Just use some Zelda playing card images if you have little time. Your boy will absolutely love it.

You could also create a small card in the central space for maybe the Deku tree, or a final reunion with princess zelda. The woods could also be Kokiri forest. Replace the toad cards with a range of masks from Majora's Mask - maybe each one tweaks your stats slightly.

I actually think the Talisman system would be perfectly suited to a light Zelda game...

...[quits post to mail important people at Nintendo and Black Industries...]

good luck, and tell your son he has impeccable taste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
wolfzell wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion but no. As stated above I'm not up for that right now.

I should have clarified for a game off the shelf. I just don't have the time to work on another project.

Wow. As a parent myself, I'd find the time. Sharing experiences like that with your kids is what separates the "fathers" from the "Dads."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
galathonredd wrote:
Helljin wrote:
wolfzell wrote:

Wow. As a parent myself, I'd find the time. Sharing experiences like that with your kids is what separates the "fathers" from the "Dads."

You've got that round the wrong way - a 'father' in biological terms is simply the one who supplies the sperm, while 'dad' is the informal version of father.

'Dad' is commonly used by children to describe the male person responsible for raising the them.

- Jon

Edit: Usually describing something as being superior to the other - then I thought it was more appropriate to say the the former is superior to the latter. e.g. "That's what separates the men from the boys" etc, so I though that you meant that the 'father' was superior to the 'dad,' which clearly wasn't what was meant.

Summary: Apologies, I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jangus wrote:

You've got that round the wrong way - a 'father' in biological terms is simply the one who supplies the sperm, while 'dad' is the informal version of father.

'Dad' is commonly used by children to describe the male person responsible for raising the them.

- Jon

Actually, that's how I meant it. I'm a father, and yet I thoroughly intend to continue to be a Dad by making time for my children at all costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im teling you what, if they took a descent like formula and pasted a Legend of Zelda theme onto it and it had slightly revamped gameply: I think I would be compelled beyond all control to buy it, and I knoe Im not alone!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
galathonredd wrote:
Helljin wrote:
wolfzell wrote:

Gee thanks for that judgemental response. Not that need to justify myself to you but we happen to be in the middle of a house remodling project so most our things are in storage.

Thus I am looking for something "Off the shelf"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try finding one of the Dungeons and Dragons basic sets, either the kind with minis or the kind with tokens. They are simplified rules that make it more like a board game, several scenarios to run through (which are simple dungeon crawls), only cost about $20 for a box set with everything you need and if your son really digs it, you can just keep playing, either getting the full game books or just making up your own stuff.

Hope your home improvement project goes well. I know what a rewarding pain those can be

ME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell the kid to get a job and buy the damn game himself! whistle

It should give you great pride that you are raising a kid who appreciates the good things in life. If he would have asked for a Suite Life of Zack and Cody boardgame....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Gee thanks for that judgemental response. Not that need to justify myself to you but we happen to be in the middle of a house remodling project so most our things are in storage.

As it happens, I have degrees in Child Psychology and Early Childhood Education -- I was trying to help you. Consider this: you're re-modeling your house; everything around your child is changing, with no idea what is next. Your child needs reassuring amounts of time spent with you more than you realize in the midst of such all-encompassing changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:

As it happens, I have degrees in Child Psychology and Early Childhood Education -- I was trying to help you. Consider this: you're re-modeling your house; everything around your child is changing, with no idea what is next. Your child needs reassuring amounts of time spent with you more than you realize in the midst of such all-encompassing changes.

Wow, congratulations on your fancy pants!

The guy is looking for a game that his kid wants, so he can play it with him. As a fellow father, this is the kind of thing good dads do. Checking out Dan's collection (wow, looking deeper than just the surface before making assumptions? not on the internets!!!) I notice more than a few kid and family games.
I feel safe in the assumption that Dan is a top-notch dad, and his son will pull through this turbulent time of home remodeling with a minimal amount of psychological scars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
galathonredd wrote:
Helljin wrote:

Dude, you're a moron with degrees in Child Psychology and Early Childhood Education.

You don't know me, my children nor my family. You need more practice with your practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb

The Sorcerer's Cave looks very zelda-ish to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.