Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Busted out a full-on test of this tonight in a multiplayer (3 person) game. I'm posting this in the 'Basic Set' module, as the Romulan ship in question is very close to the War Eagle in Basic Set (some more warp, another tran, and rear-firing Phaser-1st), and one of the adversaries was a Fed CA.

Scenario recap
Planet in the middle of the map (hex 2215) with 3 groups of crew units hiding on it (hex sides 'B', 'D', and 'F'). 30 points of 'information' (lab, probe, etc) is needed on each hex side to locate the group, and each group has 5 crew units (so total of 15). Fixed map, player who disengages with the most rescued crew wins.

With three groups of crew units, totaling 15, a player can obviously win uncontested by picking up '8' (leaving only 7 to split between the other players - even if one player gets all of them, it's not enough). And, depending on how well the other players do, 6 may be sufficient (the other players possibly having 5 and 4).

The scenario was intended to really give all the systems on the ships a workout - first, finding the crew units required scientific resources. Secondly, picking them up requires transportation capability. And, finally, the entire scenario (with one planet, in the middle of the map) ends up with a lot of firepower in a small area, meaning a ship needs to be able to fight and defend itself, too.

Forces at play
Player 1 (me), Romulan War Raptor, entering from map direction 'C'. Estimate 120bpv

Player 2 (Josh), Tholian 'C'-class cruiser, entering from map direction 'E'. 120bpv

Player 3 (Neil), Federation CA, entering from map direction 'F'. 125bpv

Approx Y160, no commander's options, WS-II, presumed speed 10 previous turn.

The Battle
Setup and Turn 1
Turns out that Fed had elected to prep a shuttle as a weasel, while Tholian had prepped a shuttle as a suicide. Turn 1 saw all three forces racing into the planet at breakneck speeds - almost everyone at '20'. The Tholian was getting uncomfortably close to me (this player has a reputation for unnecessary overruns), so I chucked my R-torp at him (finished arming with reserve) on impulse 32.

The Tholian C and Fed CA did reasonably well with their lab rolls this turn, although neither found the crew on their (roughly) facing hex sides on the first pass (more-or-less, the Tholian went for planet side 'D' first, the Fed went for planet side 'F', and I headed for 'B')

Turn 2
On turn 2, everyone shot probes (except me, who wasn't quite in position on the hex side I was aiming for) and both the Tholian and Fed found the crew on their respective sides and started beaming. Fed started working his way around the planet to the North, while I pulled off after getting as close (to him!) as I dared (only got to range 5 to the planet), and I cloaked out. Which was good, as he started shooting at me - thanks to ECM and the cloak, all photons missing. My lab rolls for this turn were dreadful, though - even combined with the probe, I only managed 28 pts of intel...not even for even ONE hex side! The Tholian already had one hex intel'd, and the Fed easily picked up a second hex on this turn (that ship has an UNGODLY amount of lab!). At least the R-torp had taken down one Tholian shield and done a handful of internals, so he was slowed down some. And before pulling off from my range-5-pass, I'd dropped an NSM to discourage pursuit.

Turn 3
Turn 3 saw careful maneuvering, as I looped around to try another pass on the 'B' hexside I was still working at. The Fed player pursued me some, before turning off (he claims he was just making a loop big enough to avoid the Tholian!), and ended up plowing right over the NSM. (It WAS judiciously placed, IMHO!) The resulting internals were delightful - I managed to knock out three of his phasers (rolled a 3, a 4, AND a 10)! He kept on his run to the planet, though, and beamed up 3 crew from the 'B' hexside. I'd kept up my course and ended the turn decloaking next to the planet (side B). I WAS finally able to finish up my intel on this side, and myself closed to the 'B' hexside much closer than the Fed - I could start the next turn with some transporter action!

Turn 4
This may have been a mistake. On turn 4, I did, indeed, pick up the remaining 2 crew on the 'B' hexside (the Fed having picked up the other 3 just before the prior turn ended, so his transporters had not cycled), so he started moving over to the 'F' hexside at about range 5 to the planet (and me). I'd anticipated this, and my R-torp was an enveloper. LOS! And so I started my camping (warp TACs with lots shields and ECM and EM).

Of course...he'd anticipated THAT. And out pops a weasel. The R-torp is ineffective, although he was effectively stopped cold by his emergency deceleration. He'd been cycling enough warp through his battery that he was still able to get moving again later in the turn - almost enough to limp into the right arc to start beaming crew up from the planet's "F" side. ALMOST.

Unfortunately, the Tholian had finished cleaning up all the crew on the 'D' hex side, and decided now would be a GREAT time to overrun the parked Romulan. Finally a feature of this new design comes to the fore, in that some slightly sloppy maneuvering by the Tholian 'C' slips his down shield JUST into my 'Right' (R) arc. On the WB+/WE, not a massive mistake, only 2 Phaser-1s in arc. On the WR? FOUR. Into a down shield. ZING! This, again, does delightful work on his ship. He'd already lost 1xPhaser-1 forward, and amazing rolls on the DAC again end up with him down 4 more forward phasers and a disruptor. His overrun is SUBSTANTIALLY reduced, although he does take down a number of my shields with phaser fire (and the cloud of shuttles he has out there - let me tell you, dropping that last one at range 1 really scared the bejesus out of me until we found it wasn't a second suicide! The first has been lost when I cloaked out earlier in the match.) He ends up the turn flown slightly over me, right off the planet's 'A' hexside (I'm parked off the planet's 'B' hexside, and the Fed CA is almost exactly five hexes off the 'A'/'F' hexside split)

Turn 5
On turn 5, the Fed starts the turn with a beamup of three more crew off the 'F' hexside, and we suddenly do some math. At this point, the Fed player has 6 of them. I have 2. The Tholian has 5. There's only 2 left, on the 'F' hexside! His ship is 1 hex off the planet's 'A' hexside. And he has the intel on the 'F' side of the planet! Now everyone is shooting at HIM. My phasers had re-cycled, so I hit him with 6xPh-1...not enough, with his ECM, to break the facing shield. Nothing for it, though, I had been camped on turn 4, and just couldn't get the speed going to catch him or move to a more favorable shield.

The Fed CA player was in a better position, though, and SMASHED him with four overloads, and his remaining 3xPhaser-1s. Again, an 'up' shield (the Fed, too, had been planning on camping until the crew was beamed up, so had limited maneuver aside from his TACs and an HET), but the shear volume of damage tore the Tholian up (42 internals).

Amazingly, though, while the ship was almost completely gutted, nearly all weapons lost (and the cloud of Fed shuttles mizia'd off the rest), TWO TRANSPORTERS REMAINED! The Tholian had also done a plotted speed split that left him moving at '20' after beaming them off (giving him 7 crew), and he zipped towards the top of the map.

We gave what chase we could, as if he was destroyed then it would be done to the Fed or me, but...didn't make it. With about 1 hex to go before the turn ended, he disengages off the top of the map.

The Results and Pics
The battle ended after turn 5, and, partially due to the large amount of tricky maneuvering and challenging power allocation cycles (a LOT needed to be done in a short amount of time, conflicting goals is always hard to deal with), the game ran a bit over 3 hours.

Federation CA and map on last impulse of last turn:

Total score - 6 pts. Fed ship took an NSM on an unreinforced shield, some phaser plinking, and feedback from his overloaded photons.

Tholian C as match ended:

Total score - 7 pts (winner). Took an R-torp on the #2 shield, and later 4xPhaser-1s through it and some smattering of shuttle phaser fire at range. 6xPhaser-1s hit the #3 shield, didn't penetrate. And the wrath of a Fed CA at close range on the #6. *shudders* That's a wicked ship!

Obviously, if it had been a floating map, this guy would have lost - not enough warp to escape us the following turn. However, "if wishes were horses", it WAS a fixed map. And, who knows, maybe everyone would have kept the range up if it were floating and this level of damage would never have been accrued?

Romulan WR as match ended:

I'd been the Tholian's target of choice most of the match, so LOTS of shield plinking from disruptor fire and phaser fire at range. That 6-point battery ended up getting all or largely burned almost every turn helping with reinforcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...updated to correct a few typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, the Fed ship out gunned both of you. In a scenario where combat mattered more, the Fed would be favored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
Yes, the Fed ship out gunned both of you. In a scenario where combat mattered more, the Fed would be favored.

I wouldn't say it was that clear an 'outgunning'. This IS the unrefitted Fed CA, after all. 4 Photons and 6 Phaser-1s is it.

The Tholian C, in comparison, has 2 Disruptors, 6 Phaser-1s, and 4 Phaser-3s. Less weapons, true, but VASTLY better shields and MUCH greater maneuverability.

The Romulan WR being tested has the bewilderingly massive Plasma-R torpedo, and 6 Phaser-1s, as well. Again, inferior weapons (slightly - I'd say the R-torp is equal to roughly 3 Photons), but better shields, and it has the cloak (which always helps in stopping incoming fire )

So, as far as weapons vs defense goes, I'd say all are in the ballpark.

Where the Fed ship REALLY stomped this mission down was in lab capabilities. HOLY HELL that ship has a lot of lab. Even truly crappy die rolls on the intel chart still yielded ENORMOUS amounts of data returned.

Honestly, aside from a slight feeling of never quite having enough power to 'keep up' with the other ships (always feeling that I had not-quite-enough EW here, just-a-bit-too-slow there), the War Raptor felt roughly in league with the two other ships, and they seemed fairly matched (more or less) to each other.

The net result of this battle is that I'm recommending bumping the warp on the WR up to 13 in each engine - for 26 total. That should lock it pretty solidly into the "heavy cruiser" category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
XanderF wrote:
BFoy wrote:

I wouldn't say it was that clear an 'outgunning'. This IS the unrefitted Fed CA, after all. 4 Photons and 6 Phaser-1s is it.

The Tholian C, in comparison, has 2 Disruptors, 6 Phaser-1s, and 4 Phaser-3s. Less weapons, true, but VASTLY better shields and MUCH greater maneuverability.

The Romulan WR being tested has the bewilderingly massive Plasma-R torpedo, and 6 Phaser-1s, as well. Again, inferior weapons (slightly - I'd say the R-torp is equal to roughly 3 Photons), but better shields, and it has the cloak (which always helps in stopping incoming fire )

So, as far as weapons vs defense goes, I'd say all are in the ballpark.

Yes, your analysis is good. I agree that both ships are down 1 heavy weapon to the Fed CA. But don't forget the Fed CA's durability.

XanderF wrote:
Where the Fed ship REALLY stomped this mission down was in lab capabilities. HOLY HELL that ship has a lot of lab. Even truly crappy die rolls on the intel chart still yielded ENORMOUS amounts of data returned.

Think 'Starship Enterprise'. The Fed CA was inspired by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BFoy wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Not just 'Enterprise', of course.

The only REAL one. "NCC-1701. No bloody 'A', 'B', 'C', or 'D'!"

Still!

That's a LOT of frackin' lab!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
XanderF wrote:
BFoy wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Not just 'Enterprise', of course.

The only REAL one. "NCC-1701. No bloody 'A', 'B', 'C', or 'D'!"

Still!

That's a LOT of frackin' lab!

Useful when fighting Klingons in the later years.

BTW, If you think thats bad, look at the Fed scout!

I used to love Fed fleets. When you get that SCS and use the loophole to outfit it with the advanced fighters. Sweeeet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.