Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might also be the lack of a group discussion took away from the experience of the book.

One of my favorite books from high school was Dante's Inferno. No way in hell I would've enjoyed it on my own, but having a teacher and fellow students make sense of it all made me realize how great of a work it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite books. There does not exist a story more tragic than Quasimodo's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you had a special translation for school kids? I know I read it many years ago and stumbled bravely through it. His narrative is super circular, with hundreds of side plots that twist and turn as well.

I cannot tell you one thing about the story. And I had to find out from Disney that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Cardinal raped Esmeralda.
I don't remember reading that in the book at all!!

Don't worry Drew, it's not you. My husband had to read Les Miserables for college and said it was the worst writing he ever had to read. (And he's read Don Quixote in the original old Castillian!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the lovely Wikipedia:

Translation history
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame has been translated into English many times. Translations are often reprinted by various publisher imprints. Some translations have been revised over time.

* 1833. Translated by Frederic Shoberl as The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Later revisions.
* 1833. Translated by William Hazlitt as Notre Dame: A Tale of the Ancien Regime. Later revisions.
* 1888. Translated by Isabel F. Hapgood as Notre-Dame de Paris.
* 1895. Translated by M.W. Artois et.al, part of the 28-vol The Novels of Victor Hugo, re-printed in the 20th century under other titles.
* 1964. Translated by Walter J. Cobb. In multiple editions, see for example Signet Classics ISBN 0451527887, Pub date 10 April 2001, paperback.
* 1978. Translated by John Sturrock. In multiple editions, see for example Penguin Classics ISBN 0140443533, Pub date 26 October 1978, paperback.
* 1993. Translated by Alban J. Krailsheim as Notre-Dame de Paris. See Oxford World's Classics ISBN 978-0199555802
* 2002. Revised translation by Catherine Liu of an anonymous 19th century translation. See Modern Library Classics ISBN 0679642579, Pub date 8 October 2002.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
From the lovely Wikipedia:

Translation history
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame has been translated into English many times. Translations are often reprinted by various publisher imprints. Some translations have been revised over time.

* 1833. Translated by Frederic Shoberl as The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Later revisions.
* 1833. Translated by William Hazlitt as Notre Dame: A Tale of the Ancien Regime. Later revisions.
* 1888. Translated by Isabel F. Hapgood as Notre-Dame de Paris.
* 1895. Translated by M.W. Artois et.al, part of the 28-vol The Novels of Victor Hugo, re-printed in the 20th century under other titles.
* 1964. Translated by Walter J. Cobb. In multiple editions, see for example Signet Classics ISBN 0451527887, Pub date 10 April 2001, paperback.
* 1978. Translated by John Sturrock. In multiple editions, see for example Penguin Classics ISBN 0140443533, Pub date 26 October 1978, paperback.
* 1993. Translated by Alban J. Krailsheim as Notre-Dame de Paris. See Oxford World's Classics ISBN 978-0199555802
* 2002. Revised translation by Catherine Liu of an anonymous 19th century translation. See Modern Library Classics ISBN 0679642579, Pub date 8 October 2002.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the Sturrock or Cobb translation. That gives me a good starting place anyway! Thanks!

Well, if you remember what the cover looked like........that might help!

Penguin/Sturrock

Signet/Cobb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krailsheimer's probably wasn't the one you remember reading, but it seems the most faithful to me, of the versions I've compared (though I should mention that I haven't read any translations front-to-back recently).

Amazon's page for the Oxford edition has searchable text, so you can read a few pages online to see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
My husband had to read Les Miserables for college and said it was the worst writing he ever had to read.

This makes me sad. Les Miserables is one of the top three or four books of all time.

I may have the translation of Hunchback that I enjoyed, Drew. I'll have to check tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
silke berlinn

Montana
msg tools
I'd look at the imprint, ie, who the publisher is, for example, Penguin Press & Vintage are both known as quality book imprints and are most likely to have hired the best translators

Of course, this is sort of a last resort if you've been unable to get the translator name

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

One of my favorite books from high school was Dante's Inferno. No way in hell I would've enjoyed it on my own...

I see what you did there. cool laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
SilkeBerlinn wrote:
I'd look at the imprint, ie, who the publisher is, for example, Penguin Press & Vintage are both known as quality book imprints and are most likely to have hired the best translators

Of course, this is sort of a last resort if you've been unable to get the translator name

Six years of lurking in an obscure literary thread from 2010 pays off!
dibs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.