Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I come close to killing players, but they always manage to hit a glyph and go back to town and buy health potions and just keep chugging them everytime

They can carry six potions right? 3 equipped and 3 in the pack?

Not sure why I stink as the overlord but I have a tough time even killing one hero.

They typically waste my spawns in one or two hits, then if I do damage them ( I DO get them low) they glyph back to town, buy 3 or 4 potions, and use the rest of their movement to chug them down. Or next turn they run and drink like 6 of them (run is double move so like they drink 4 potions then have some movement left over etc etc)

Any advice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be playing wrong. Did you know that each hero can only drink one potion of each type per turn? It makes a huge difference.

Here are some tips though:

-Save some threat. Don't always play cards as soon as you can, save up and wallop the heroes with a series of traps and spawns over a few turns, don't let them rest. Yes you can only play one spawn and one type of each card each turn but if you keep doing it turn after turn you'll chip em' down before they can stand back up.

-You can spawn in rooms in which the heroes aren't present (you know this of course but it didn't occur to me until my second game) Do this to build up a large force and then unleash it.

-Block glyphs with monsters, you can do this.

-Take full advantage of monsters which can use hit-and-run tactics. Move-fire-move out of range.

Also, I gather the first couple expansions sway power towards the Overlord, so if you really like the game pick those up if you haven't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I as the overlord have not won yet.. But I'm interested in your wording.. a single hero can only drink one type of each potion a turn.. if they're drinking multiple fatigues, then that's a big problem.

However, since I haven't won a single game (0-10) I'm probably not the best person for advice, I'd like to hear others thoughts on how they as the OL beat the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can spawn in rooms in which the heroes aren't present (you know this of course but it didn't occur to me until my second game) Do this to build up a large force and then unleash it.

You mean in areas that have been revealed by the heroes already right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read it again, I said one potion of each type so one stamina and one health.

And to answer your second question, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Lund
Canada
flag msg tools
Remember, heroes can only drink one potion per turn. How many heroes are you generally playing with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whifflebat005 wrote:
Remember, heroes can only drink one potion per turn. How many heroes are you generally playing with?

Hmm, is it just one? We play one of each type, have to go dig out the FAQ.

EDIT
Ohhh, I stand corrected, it is only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is only one potion per turn, period, however we play one type as well. It just seems more dramatic if a hero can down a fatigue and a power potion the same turn.

And as for blocking glyphs, you can stand in front of them, but not on top of them (at least activated glyphs).

Sounds like you're playing well enough, if you're getting the heroes down pretty low then they run to town. The best thing to do is Traps. Beginning OLs have a hard time remembering how to play traps, and play them effectively. I'm still forgetting I have certain trap cards in my hand (like Door cards) from time to time, and it would have put a major thorn in the heroes' side had I played it. As they run for the Glyph, drop a Crushing Block on them. That alone might be enough to kill one of them. If not, lay that Pit Trap down.

Also don't forget to stock up the dungeon while they're in town. Spawn as much as possible, and have them linger near (but not too close) to the glyphs, so when they come back you can overwhelm them.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
* Find out which character has the least armor. Attack him as much as possible.

* Stock up the threat to use on Traps and other armor-bypassing damage. ("Roll a power die. If you do not roll a blank...")

* Save up the Rages for Ogres and other big monsters.

* Hide the Master Beastman, which has the Command special ability, behind the Ogre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Thomson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The most important factor in winning as Overlord is to be a Rules Lawyer. Like this multi-potion thing - absolutely unacceptable. The Overlord needs to know the rules (and the official FAQs) like the back of her hand, and ensure that the players are sticking to the letter of the laws.

I don't know if this is a factor in your case, but it seems to me like it's much harder for the OL to win if there are four heroes. We always try to play with only 3 heroes, which is more balanced IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found the FAQ for this game and wow was I letting them play this wrong. Several times in the game I should have killed at least one player and I even did Dark Curse wrong where they have to attack someone or themselves, I let THEM pick how to use the die results.

UGH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yep - 1 potion per turn. So the heroes must choose between 1 Fatigue Potion or 1 Healing Potion - Not both.

If your heroes have each been chugging 4 Fatigue Potions in 1 turn it's no surprise they have been winning!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
* Find out which character has the least armor. Attack him as much as possible.
* Stock up the threat to use on Traps and other armor-bypassing damage. ("Roll a power die. If you do not roll a blank...")
* Save up the Rages for Ogres and other big monsters.
* Hide the Master Beastman, which has the Command special ability, behind the Ogre!
This is good advice.

ReinhartTR wrote:
*Save some threat. Don't always play cards as soon as you can, save up and wallop the heroes with a series of traps and spawns over a few turns, don't let them rest. Yes you can only play one spawn and one type of each card each turn but if you keep doing it turn after turn you'll chip em' down before they can stand back up.
*You can spawn in rooms in which the heroes aren't present (you know this of course but it didn't occur to me until my second game) Do this to build up a large force and then unleash it.
*Block glyphs with monsters, you can do this.
*Take full advantage of monsters which can use hit-and-run tactics. Move-fire-move out of range.
And this too. Don't forget to stand your monsters on Chests where possible too.

Limit your heroes potion chugging and try these tactics and you should get some wins under your belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReinhartTR wrote:
You might be playing wrong. Did you know that each hero can only drink one potion of each type per turn? It makes a huge difference.
Not "one potion of each type", but "one potion of ANY type", which is an even bigger difference :)

Ah yes, someone already pointed that out. It's worth mentioning again though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That master beastman was the star of the show for me this weekend. Since I only have the main core set, that group spawn of 3 beastman is nasty and at one point I had the hero down to 1 health point. But I didnt see the FAQ and was using the Beastman as they stated on the card, so technically that was all wrong too

I really need a way to MERGE the FAQ INTO the rulebook, has anyone done this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:

You mean this? Descent Merged & Reorganized Rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir thank you very much you have saved me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It should also be noted that the first few quests in the book are relatively easy for the heroes. I believe you just posted a session report for quest 1, which is rather easy. Quest 2 is very easy for the heroes, but only after they figure out the appropriate strategy to use. Quest 3 is significantly more challenging, and quests 4-5 are more challenging still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tucker
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Greetings!
badge
Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
BattleZone wrote:

You mean this? Descent Merged & Reorganized Rulebook

That's actually the older merged rulebook. User davedujour made an updated version of that same document which also includes the latest FAQ and fixes a lot of other things. You can find it here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/46083/updated-merged-ruleb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I always do to bugger them:
- Use traps on the hero who moves last. This way they can't adjust their strategy and most likely it relied on this one hero doing something specific.
- Spawn the monsters behind them to slow them down. Especially if they only have melee.
- Again: Slow them down. Time is your friend.
- I always talk them into selling their equipment to gamble for treasures which "might" be better (seldom are). Might be meta-gaming but it works.
- Use archers to remove their Overwatch tokens
- If fighting in doorways: close them when you are done. This way they have to waste 2 movement points to open it again to hit your minions.
- Always move away from them, even if only one tile, after hitting them. This prevents the Attack (the double attack thing) action (except they spend precious fatigue).
- Close doors to allow spawning new minions there next turn
- Seperate them (again, doors work great)
- Don't hoard cards you don't need, 'sell' them so that you have enough markers to play important cards.
- User spiders' poison against weakly armored targets
- Use Ogres to throw them into pits
- Stone traps for melee characters and pits for ranged characters (limiting their view)

Rules things:
- Remember that Stun and Web even work if the armor stops the damage. Elite Razorwings (is that their original name?) are great for hit-stun-run tactics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone already mentioned "enforcing the rules". One of the most important ones to enforce is making sure that the heroes DECLARE which action they choose BEFORE they actually do it. This is what I have to do all the time, even with the experienced players...

And maybe the last piece of advice for an Overlord: be MERCILESS! Gang your monsters on the weaker hero and GO FOR THE KILL! However, as one of the Harry Potter characters said, "you have to really mean it..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't be afraid to hit the stronger heroes. I've seen some OLs never touch the "tanks" with 5+ armor because they think they cannot do any damage, but you'd be surprised if you just focus on the heavies that you can take them out too.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not uncommon for one ... ... what is their name? Wolfmen? Animalmen? Petmen? to do about 8 damage per hit. You spawn three of them, one is an elite, so this adds another 2 damage total and you can get a total of 26 damage in 3 hits. Even with an armor of 5 this leaves 11 damage which can kill most guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
I come close to killing players, but they always manage to hit a glyph and go back to town and buy health potions and just keep chugging them everytime

They can carry six potions right? 3 equipped and 3 in the pack?

Not sure why I stink as the overlord but I have a tough time even killing one hero.

They typically waste my spawns in one or two hits, then if I do damage them ( I DO get them low) they glyph back to town, buy 3 or 4 potions, and use the rest of their movement to chug them down. Or next turn they run and drink like 6 of them (run is double move so like they drink 4 potions then have some movement left over etc etc)

Any advice?

also, you should look up the rules for going to/from town and the store. There are rules that govern how fast they can get to town and back, especially if they are going to the store, which it doesn't sound like you are following. They shouldn't be able to go buy some potions and then come back and drink them all the next turn (potion limit not withstanding).

The longer they take to do things, the better.

I will also agree that you need to be a rules lawyer. There are lots of things (like 'forgetting' to apply effects like web or stun) that players do in their benefit which aren't actually legal and would change the game if stopped.

The other thing is that I am able to win with 2 players, but with 4 the game (IMHO) becomes much harder for the overlord. Try it again with just two, slow them down as much as possible, save up your overlord tokens (if you can get trapmaster or the extra overlord card thing into play early, it makes it way harder for the players) and buy something big early and crush them.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.