7 Posts

Frag» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about health, medkits, armor, and blood rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Soap MacTavish
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I've played a few games and what I found is (with how I understand the rules) that players eventually gain so much health, it is pointless to attack.

I interpret that when a card says "Play anytime", I can play it when I want: meaning my turn, enemy turn, before I/they attack, after I/they attack. That includes medkits, armor, or any other health altering gadget.

Also, I never saw any rules on a limit on health other than on the Stat sheet where it says MAX of 4. But I assume that is only when creating my character. As a result, when we pick up items and need to get down to 5 cards, we use medkits up first. After a few medkits and armor, we have 8+ health.

It just seems to make for VERY long games when I can have weapons and multipliers letting me role 9 dice and my target gets to roll an equal amount.

Please let me know if I am understanding wrong or if anyone has some suggestions that seem to work better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, it doesn't work quite like you describe.

When creating the fighter, no stat can be more than 4, including health.

Armors will say that it actually adds a permanant positive amount to your health stat as long as you have that piece of equipment.

Medpacks restore lost health points but they aren't always replenished by draw.

So...make sure the only permanent adjustment you make to your health is from armors. If you're lucky and get decent card draws, you can feasibly end up with Heavy Armor with a ton of medpacks, but if the players gun for you, which they should, then you'll be using up those medpacks pretty quickly. You should always attack players as you see them approaching some sort of "God" status. If you wait until they're all geared up, there could be a runaway leader problem. Then again, I'd say if everyone in your games are ending up with that much armor and medpacks, you're not attacking each other enough and you're severely underestimating how much Speed and Accuracy can be helpful if you're not focusing on those stats when creating your fighter. With proper speed and accuracy, it's possible to close in on someone from way across a map and nail em with not just one nasty attack but several. That can often be more helpful than a fistful of medpacks. Again, stats are fairly permanent, packs aren't.

Also, don't know if you're playing Gold Edition or the old version, but you so need to track down copies of Death Match and Fire Zone. Huge improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So...long story short, there is no max health if you end up over 4 as the result of armors. Medpacks restore lost health. Even though they state play at any time, this still requires you to lose health first. If you start at 4 health, you can't medpack your way above that. Now if you get shot during someone else's turn and lose one health, you can use a medpack to gain it back. One of the benefits of being able to use it at any time; you don't just get damage as a result of getting shot on an opponents turn. Acid and lava can hurt the fighter as they move through that terrain square. You can medpack that health right back on. Think of them as not health modifiers, but a "heal potion"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pernal
United States
Wallingford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play where the health and armor are seperate and have their own health. I can not repair armor, but I can repair my health up to what my stat is. So, if I have 4 health and armor of 2. I take 3 hits. The first 2 automatically go towards my armor and destroys it. The third goes towards my health which I can use a medpak to prevent that 1 hit.

The rules are poorly written and need to be agreed on when playing. I also play when you frag someone, you get to draw a speciality card. It doesn't make sence why there are so many speciality cards and no where in the rules state you get to draw one. puzzling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumblebee1970 wrote:
I play where the health and armor are seperate and have their own health. I can not repair armor, but I can repair my health up to what my stat is. So, if I have 4 health and armor of 2. I take 3 hits. The first 2 automatically go towards my armor and destroys it. The third goes towards my health which I can use a medpak to prevent that 1 hit.

The rules are poorly written and need to be agreed on when playing. I also play when you frag someone, you get to draw a speciality card. It doesn't make sence why there are so many speciality cards and no where in the rules state you get to draw one. puzzling.

I don't know about the older version, but the Gold Edition clearly says you draw a Special Card when you Frag someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Baumann-Fern
United States
Frostbite Falls
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule stayed the same Casey.

I agree with Paul above, the rules are not written in a veryvery clear format. I found myself skipping back and forth for answers that should have been grouped in the same area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Wynants
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've noticed how there is a LOT of confusion surrounding the nature of armor in Frag, as well as other cards like the notorious exoskeleton. Some people insist the rules are poorly written,but I believe they are quite clear. Here's how things are supposed to work, as per the 'official rules' :

Armour:
Armour adds to your health, meaning that you roll more dice to resist damage. That's all. It does not give you extra 'lives'. Many people think that if you're wearing light armour and take a hit, you lose the light armour, but don't lose any health. According to the rules, once you lose enough Health (1 or 2, depending on whether you've got Heavy or Light armour) you lose the armour. The armour itself does not have Health points.

Example: You've got Health 4 and Heavy armour. You get hit and defend by rolling six dice. Say you take 1 damage; you lose 1 Health and keep the Heavy Armour. Your new Health is 3 and you resist damage rolling 5 dice from now on. Should you lose 2 Health at once next turn, however, your Health would be reduced to 1 and your armour would be destroyed.

Yes, you can prevent yourself from losing armour by instantly healing damage with medkits. This may sound a little counterintuitive, but that's how it works.

Regarding the Exoskeleton, many people claim it is 'armour' because it says so on the card. Therefore, it should be lost when a hit is suffered, just like Light armour. Right?
According to the rules, it just plainly isn't so. The 'A' in the bottom left corner doesn't indicate that a gadget 'is' armour - it merely indicates that it *affects* armour or works *like* armour (check p. 2 of the rules if you don't believe me).
So, yes, you would be able to combine Exo and Heavy armour and roll a total of 3 extra defense dice. While you might eventually lose the Heavy armour (see above), you would only lose the Exo when fragged.

Concerning the Special Cards: You draw one when you frag an opponent. It's clearly mentioned in the first paragraph of the last page.

Note that the above reflects what is stated in the rules, to be modified as you see fit. This is how it's supposed to work, but don't let that stop you from creating houserules if you don't like what it says in the booklet.

Regards,

-B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.