Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 16/42: Battle Without Water – Thirsty American troops lack energy to take Hill 53

Introduction

January 11, 1943 – The 3rd Battalion of the 27th Infantry Regiment had one last objective to take. Hill 53. The problem? No water was brought forward and no drinking water could be found! At 0900 without the thirsty troops pressed against Hill 53.

This scenario covers the action of I and L Companies facing elements of the Japanese 229th and 230th Infantry Regiments.

American Goal
Take Hill 53 with minimal losses.
7 turns = 1 hours, 45 minutes.

Plan: Hit Japanese entrenchment with artillery and combined fire while advancing through the jungle south of the hill.

Japanese Goal
Inflict casualties (at least 3 steps). Hold Hill 53.

American Casualties will be presented by (#).

The Battle

0900 – OPEN FIRE!!! Japanese infantry disrupted as American infantry advances.

0915 – Fire is exchanged and Japanese HMG demoralized.

0930 – Japanese HMG reduced by American HMG fire. Artillery strike hits hard (2X)!!! Japanese reinforce the entrenchment as Americans successfully assault (2X! again)

0945 – I and L Companies advance as infantry assaulting the entrenchment waits for HMG back-up.

Comment – Thirst from lack of water pushes the Americans to go for a swift victory.

1000 - Japanese direct fire is ineffective as Americans assault from the north.

Assaulting the Dug-in Japanese: Americans lose half a platoon! (1)
Assaulting the Entrenchment: Americans lose half a platoon! (2) Japanese unaffected.

Gameplay note: Japanese rolled two sixes in their first fire. Americans rolled a one against the entrenchment. Perhaps the Americans should have fired instead of assaulted, as this would spare them from the risk of casualties

1015 – Americans reinforce the assaults and inflict some Japanese losses.

1030 – Final Assaults

Assaulting the Dug-in Japanese: Half Japanese HMG holds on. M2 on “18” column!
Assaulting the Entrenchment: Japanese inflict casualties (3) and are unaffected by American fire. rolled another six. Americans roll an M2

Exhausted and thirsty, the Americans are called off.

JAPANESE VICTORY!!!

Aftermath

The Americans came really close to taking the objectives. Unfortunately for the Americans they took too many losses from the great Japanese defenders.

Suffering too many casualties and unable to make significant headway, regimental staff called off the attack and call up the 2nd Battalion to finish off Hill 53 the next day.

And they were so close too!

COMING SOON!!!: The Third Day – So did Second Battalion manage to take Hill 53?

Reader Note: A full review of Panzer Grenadier: Semper Fi! Guadalcanal is currently under construction. This review will compare and rate all the different campaigns in the scenario book. Specific issues and final opinions will be covered in that review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there 10 sided dice by the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
Why are there 10 sided dice by the table?

I often will use dice to represent OBA. When OBA is used I will mark the dice with a moved/fire marker. I just find that it is a simple way to do bookkeeping. So, on the Japanese "side" are "8""8" as they have 2x8 OBA.

Sometimes I'll also use different coloured dice to track morale and/or casualties.

I got lots of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick P
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
is this part of the battle depicted in Thin Red Line? I recall a shortage of water surfacing in that film? If so, wasn't George Bush senior somewhere thereabouts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickp wrote:
is this part of the battle depicted in Thin Red Line? I recall a shortage of water surfacing in that film? If so, wasn't George Bush senior somewhere thereabouts?

I don't know. I believe that there were a number of times the Americans had a shortage of water in the Pacific Theater. This is a different battle than the airfield battle in "The Pacific" where they were also depicted as having a severe shortage of water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.