8 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War» Forums » General

Subject: AUC Mystery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CW Tang
msg tools
mb
Before BoW, I have always been speculating that there be some high defense gene military world, so Alien Uplift Centre's -2/+2 for gene world.

With BoW list of cards coming out, it becomes clear there is none, so what use is AUC's bonus for gene world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piri kou
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didnt noticed it, but its true that when you got +5 military to settle it, you should already have +2. And the -2 seems to be quite uncompatible with the military strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is specialized alien military that might let you get out AUC without having any real military strength. There's also temporary military (Tactics or Mercenaries), but by and large, AUC has always just felt like they needed another alien world and it had to do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Alien starting world can get it out earlyish, and as a result it opens you up to the majority of Uplift worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cwtang wrote:
With BoW list of cards coming out, it becomes clear there is none, so [w]hat use is AUC's bonus for gene world?

Its main use is and always will be with takeovers imo. I've had that power make the difference in both attacking a green world and defending a green world. It's easy to miss tho. Count up all the military powers, ok attack i win! OMG i forgot AUC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also....

... goals. Research Leader is the most prominent to me, as if you and others are just trying to find any 3 worlds with I powers, then this'll be one of them. If it comes out to be a long distance race, then getting this can help you keep the lead or retake it.

Innovation Leader, although IIRC, there are plenty of other fine choices that also have I + III powers (e.g. Rebel Pact, AAUC)

Overlord Discoveries and/or Uplift Knowledge. This card has both keywords.

... non-military green worlds. It makes building non-mili green worlds a much better strategy. Sure, Replicant Robots is more ideal, but it can also be expensive. AAUC only costs 1, but the usual "you may not always have the card you want" syndone kicks in. AUC can sometimes be free if you have the military for it anyways. Once that's in, getting stuff like LSAW and Gene Designers at discount are nice. The former gets you cards for $ and V. The addition of the latter is a FTA (blue strat) for green cards. All that gets better when you have alot of green worlds plus any or both of the 6-cost devs to go with them.

There are other points, but they've already been covered by others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
When two or three of the Explore, Uplift, and Alien prizes are out, it's sheer joy to play this world (and ALIEN UPLIFT Camp) and make progress towards them all.

Plus, 4vp on a military world is not bad. To say nothing of the trade good. It's a generously low price for what you get, but certainly not a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piri kou
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Well, there is specialized alien military that might let you get out AUC without having any real military strength. There's also temporary military (Tactics or Mercenaries), but by and large, AUC has always just felt like they needed another alien world and it had to do something.

Haaaa! THAT makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.