8 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: Legacy questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more of a collector but I'd like to get into social play, so please forgive my naivete. My questions are on organized tournaments.

1) Where would 10th ed/Lorwyn block sets be playable? Are there any events that would include these but where my decks won't be outmatched from the get-go by more powerful sets? Or do I need to just organize a group and draft out of my personal decks?

2) When Eldrazi passes out of the current tournaments, how easily will it fit in with Legacy? I didn't get to go to the Eldrazi release nights, but from what I read this is a completely different magic. Slow build, large cards - is there even a possibility of a burn deck?

3) With Scars of Mirrodin coming out in October, will the old Mirrodin/Darksteel cards all become legal again?

I'm barely a casual player - I picked up a few cheap lots on eBay, sold (and am selling) cards from sets I don't like as much and built a few decks that I really enjoy from the Mirrodin, Ravnica and Lorwyn cycles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruprecht
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
losh14 wrote:
I'm more of a collector but I'd like to get into social play, so please forgive my naivete. My questions are on organized tournaments.

I'm answering in the context of being competitive in organized tournaments here; your mileage may vary in the context of more casual local tournaments.

Quote:
1) Where would 10th ed/Lorwyn block sets be playable? Are there any events that would include these but where my decks won't be outmatched from the get-go by more powerful sets? Or do I need to just organize a group and draft out of my personal decks?

They are playable in Extended, Legacy, and Vintage. You will not be able to build a competitive deck in any of those formats from just those sets.

Quote:
2) When Eldrazi passes out of the current tournaments, how easily will it fit in with Legacy? I didn't get to go to the Eldrazi release nights, but from what I read this is a completely different magic. Slow build, large cards - is there even a possibility of a burn deck?

Legacy is not my strong point, but I don't see much in Rise that will have an impact on eternal formats. Emrakul could see play in decks that cheat on casting costs, and Unified Will and Realms Uncharted have been mentioned as possibly playable. There may also be some insane Training Grounds combo waiting to be discovered.

Quote:
3) With Scars of Mirrodin coming out in October, will the old Mirrodin/Darksteel cards all become legal again?

No; in fact, Scars of Mirrodin will knock Mirrodin block out of extended. It will also knock Alara block and M10 out of standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
losh14 wrote:

I'm barely a casual player - I picked up a few cheap lots on eBay, sold (and am selling) cards from sets I don't like as much and built a few decks that I really enjoy from the Mirrodin, Ravnica and Lorwyn cycles.

It's not the matter of the sets you like being more powerful, it's the matter that you want to be competitive with a casual mindset. Legacy is NOT the place to "start" playing competitively. It really depends on the store you play, or how big the event it is you are looking to go to... but many Legacy players are weilding thousand dollar decks and have spent a lot of time researching and playtesting exactly what they are playing. You won't find many people there with "fun" decks like the one you describe.

You seem to be a little confused on what Legacy means, so here it is in a nutshell:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=judge/r...

Every single card in the history of the game outside of the banned list is legal to play in Legacy. That includes brand new sets the day that they are released.

Extended is something you might want to look into:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=judge/r...

It only features the most recent grouping of blocks and isn't QUITE as crazy (or expensive to break into). Of course in Extended, Scars of Mirrodin will push out the old Mirrodin set at it's release.

My recomendation however is to start playing in limited events like Sealed Deck or Draft. You can build your chops, meet local players, and feel out your compitition. If you see that everyone is bringing very loose fun decks to the Legacy events, then go for it. If they are obviously slugging thousands of dollars in cards and playing only the top tier decks... then wait it out and research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorwyn block has a lot of the Merfolk that get used in Legacy merfolk, (Silvergill Adept, Merrow Reejery, Cursecatcher . . . um, Wake Thrasher might be played some) so you might check out that deck as a starting point. It's capable of being competitive at any level, and the investment is relatively small to be top tier-- Four 'Force of Will' will run around 200ish dollars, but probably won't lose their value. Aether Vials and Standstills might be annoyingly expensive for uncommons, but if you have a bunch of legacy people, you might find extras for trade to someone wanting to come to their tournaments!

But as people have said, Legacy is about cards from pretty much every set ever made. So, don't worry about the newer cards only having a few that will be playable, because they have to compete with every card ever printed.

Also, if you're liking the looks of the new set, Rise of the Eldrazi, I'd definitely second the recommendation to go try some limited events; this set is pretty fun to play sealed/draft with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironic, this thread.

I'm a high school teacher with a student that is just getting into MTG. I got out years ago, but I have a friend that is a competitive tournament player. I asked him for some advice a few days ago and he said his standard line for new players is to go Legacy.

Although people do have expensive decks, his opinion is that competitive Fish is about $300 (give or take) and chasing your tail in Standard or Extended will cost much more than this over time plus the loss of value of those cards.

He also suggested a zoo deck minus the Tarmogoyfs and something called "Dragon Stompy" for about $150. The other cards can be added later and they shouldn’t drop tremendously in value like some Standard cards do when they rotate out.

I think his point was that if one has aspirations to play constructed competitively, Legacy gives the best bang for the buck. Certain decks, of course, will beat you simply because of cost, but that $300 Merfolk deck almost tempted me back into the game…until my wife heard the conversation and threatened legal action.

Good luck.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Big problem with competitive legacy MTG at the moment is the need for fetches and duals in virtually all the decks, which will set you a fair bit (and the price continues to rise as more players get into legacy due to the reduced supply of duals available).

A solution may be the rumoured extended plus format (name and format so far unconfirmed) which will include everything from mercedian (?sp) masques forward.

- Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=185131

I found this on one of my favorite MTG related forums. It's a nice price guide for Legacy decks. Another thing I forgot about that might help the OP is that Faeries is a viable choice, so long as it's a solid build. Check out the Fae decks that are stomping around Extended and Legacy and make some smart replacement choices... like maybe Basalisk Collar instead of Jitte, Cryptic Command instead of Force Of Will for example. Might not run as well, but it might make you feel better about not having the "good old stuff."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
There's never an acceptable replacement for Force of Will.

- Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.