Popular Tags: [View All]
John

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstealer wrote:
Looking at previous posts these are question asked and user responses with added page numbers if appropriate.

My goal would be to put them all here so the designers only would have one place to look to find them all.

Q1: Once you successfully research your first Tier 2 Technology do you move your mutation marker two spaces that turn only or from that point on do you move your marker two spaces.

A1: I think it clearly states in the rules (page 11) it's one time only. And I think the tier 2 is only 1 space and tier 3 is 2 spaces.

Q2: Are resource cards supposed to be secret?

A2:

Q3: If ZT's have no adjacent population areas it seems like the just stay in place and do not activate? Breaking Ties/Empty Regions says they don't move, but do they remain active?

A3: The rules don't appear to specify exactly what happens in this situation. But I would infer that since the ZT's had no activity they would remain active, though I don't think the distinction matters.

Q4: Mobilization. Gives each unit a free move. We played it that if they encountered any ZT's they resolved combat and then did not get to move again (as opposed to the normal military move and combat action, that would allow a unit to possible move to a second location).

A4: This is the correct interpretation as I read the rules (page 14). If any combat occurs the unit loses all remaining movement. Though you can move the unit again if you use another FP.

Q5: Can you use sonic technology make zombies move into an empty region?

A5: My guess is no. Reasoning is from the rules (page 15), "you may temporarily increase the value of a region's population die by one." If the area has no population die then it cannot be increased.

Hello!!!
Good questions, and you have done a great job answering them. I have addressed each question below, but don't know that I need to, as again you have done a wonderful job of interpreting the rules.

Q1: The answer to this is correct. It is a one time occurrence for each player for each tier. For tier 2 move your mutation marker one additional space (for a total of 2 spaces) and for tier 3 move your mutation marker two additional spaces (for a total of 3 spaces).

Q2: Resource cards can be kept secret, but are not required to be kept secret.

Q3: The answer to this is correct. Zombies that are isolated in an empty region will ultimately become active at the end of the turn, but then will just sit active in this region until they can feed or move. This becomes important if someone tries to repopulate an adjacent region as the active zombies will then proceed to move into this region the following turn.

Q4: The answer to this is correct.

Q5: The answer to this is correct.

Again thanks for the great questions, and even more so the wonderful answers. Good work, and as usual Happy Gaming!!!

Your zombified team at Zombie State Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of questions:

1) If someone puts a Raised Border on a shared border between two players' territories, do you have to have the Raised(Razed) Border technology to pull down that border? I'm presuming you need to have the tech to tear the border down that another player built. The power description seems to imply that if someone erects a raised Border between two territories that either player can pay to pull it down, but I presumed that you still had to have the Raised Borders tech advance to do this.

2) Do Raised Borders last the rest of the game unless they are torn down by the use of the same power? I'm assuming yes.

3) Is the Raised Border as unstoppable as it seems to be in two-player play? It seems trivial to put a border up between yourself and the zombie population zones and thereby bring the core mechanic of the game to a screeching halt. The ZTs won't move to empty regions, so a walled off zombie population will often just stay ineffective the entire game, trapped between walls and areas with no population dice.

4) Deleted, it was already answered above.

5) It seems like if an Outbreak occurs as a result of a Mutation Track Outbreak, and if the the ZT is placed in a military occupied region, then a fight doesn't instantly break out during the same turn. The rulebook suggests that fighting occurs during "the next turn". I'm I reading that right? This is an instance where zombies and military units don't instantly fight, right?

6) If I pass over multiple outbreak spaces on the Mutation Track during a single turn do I have one outbreak or multiple outbreaks? I'm assuming multiple, but the rulebook suggests that it's "an outbreak".

7) As a comment rather than a question, I think it would be HUGELY useful to have a track or a territory-based player reference to figure out your current Resource Card production during the Resource Phase. Once the dice and the tokens are on the map, I found it wildly tedious to have to look around for Resource icons. Maybe I should track this with paper and pen, but some pre-designed resource tracker mechanism could allow players to more quickly identify their current producible resources quickly during the Resource Phase.

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All!!! Once again your answers are spot on. I will elaborate on a few.

3) I will only comment slightly here as I don't want too much of a strategy spoiler. You are correct, however, in assuming that some technologies are more powerful in a two or even a three player game verse a 5 player game. This has to do with the nature of how many boundaries you have to watch/control to maintain the zombies. In either case Raised/Razed border can be the proverbial double edged sword. Wherein it is a hugely powerful technology it also can be a huge downfall consuming vast resources whilst crippling your technology development. Eradication victories are also rare with someone that has relied on a Raised/Razed border strategy so you must ensure you watch other players carefully that are shooting for an eradication victory. (Especially in a two player game where there are not multiple players and boundaries present to try and stop them). I won't elaborate too much, but will let you discover what strategies work best for yourselves under different circumstances.

6) I apologize for the ambiguity here. For each space that your mutation marker passes on the mutation track you follow the directions for that space. Thus if you move past two outbreak spaces, then you would roll for two outbreaks. Good question.

7) Thanks for the suggestion.

Now back to eradicating those zombies, Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few more rounds of Q&A, can we get a PDF official FAQ? While the rulebook is very well written, I'm sure many players will be asking the same questions.

Thanks,
Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some questions on random events:

1) Regarding "Military Might", the second sentence leaves some wiggle room on this card. Can it be used ONE time on ONE unit, with that activation being used whenever you want? Or is it that it can be used ANY number of times on ANY number of units? I thought once on one unit, but a friend noted that it can be used "at any time" and disagreed. By my logic, if you could use it any number of times on any number of units you could make a unit +4, for example, which seemed against the play balance of the rest of the game.

2) Re: "Shortages", for a multiple use power, is only the very FIRST use of the first type of tech that you activate costs you +1 RC total, or does EVERY use that turn of the first tech that you use costs you +1 RC each? I presumed that this was +1 total (one payment even for a multiple use power). For example, if the first tech I use is a Sonic technology which I use 4 times, does this cost me a total of +1 RC, or +4 RC? I think it's +1 RC, but this can't be determined from the card text.

3) Re: "Revived Resources", I took this to mean that if you have any region that has no resource counter or icon on it, even one without a population die that's totally swarmed by zombies, then that's where you had to put the new counter. A friend seemed to think that this applied only to producible regions (i.e., he thought he could only put the counter in a place that he had a production die). I know why he thought that, because it would otherwise be really uncommon not to have a space in your territory where you couldn't put such a counter, making the second sentence kind of puzzling. I still stand by my interpretation, and I assumed that the second sentence was there in case someone had really be activating the heck out of the Resource Infrastructure tech and had production icons or counters on every region in their territory.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I believe it's each unit may recieve it once. However it might be possible for it to get both +1 attack and defense...

2) It would be just +1 in my opinion.

3) If I remember right it has to be a region with a population die on it. There isn't anything I'm aware of where you can place a new token/unit in a desolate area. You can move stuff in but not 'place'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John

Washington
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstealer wrote:
Military Might:
We played is that you only get to use it once. "Each player may spend ONE FP and give ONE military unit +1 to offensive OR defensive strength this turn."
I figure the "at any time" means during ZT Combat or Military Movement and Combat, hence the +1 offensive or defensive strength.

Shortages:
For Sonic Technology I would say you pay the normal 1 FP and then the required 1 RC for the shortage. If used after that, you would just pay the FP.

Revived Resources:
"...place a resource counter on any one region within their territory that does not already have a resource counter or icon.
I don't see anything that says a population die must be present. I would conclude that you can place as it says, population die or not. You can always add population back to that region at a latter date.

Great questions...better answers. These are all correct interpetations of the rules. I might just have to go on vacation and leave you guys to it.

Good work, happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Martin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a quick and condensed FAQ. Someone else take this, edit it more carefully, and run with it. Maybe John Werner.

Q1: Once you successfully research your first Tier 2 Technology do you move your mutation marker two spaces that turn only or from that point on do you move your marker two spaces.
A1: It is a one time occurrence for each player for each tier. For tier 2 move your mutation marker one additional space (for a total of 2 spaces) and for tier 3 move your mutation marker two additional spaces (for a total of 3 spaces).

Q2: Are resource cards supposed to be secret?
A2: Resource cards can be kept secret, but are not required to be kept secret.

Q3: If ZT's have no adjacent population areas it seems like the just stay in place and do not activate? Breaking Ties/Empty Regions says they don't move, but do they remain active?
A3: Zombies that are isolated in an empty region will ultimately become active at the end of the turn, but then will just sit active in this region until they can feed or move. This becomes important if someone tries to repopulate an adjacent region as the active zombies will then proceed to move into this region the following turn.

Q4: Mobilization. Gives each unit a free move. We played it that if they encountered any ZT's they resolved combat and then did not get to move again (as opposed to the normal military move and combat action, that would allow a unit to possible move to a second location).
A4: This is correct. If any combat occurs the unit loses all remaining movement. Though you can move the unit again if you use another FP.

Q5: Can you use sonic technology make zombies move into an empty region?
A5: No.

Q6: If someone puts a Raised Border on a shared border between two players' territories, do you have to have the Raised(Razed) Border technology to pull down that border?
A6: Yes.

Q7: Do Raised Borders last the rest of the game unless they are torn down by the use of the same power?
A7: Yes.

Q8: It seems like if an Outbreak occurs as a result of a Mutation Track Outbreak, and if the the ZT is placed in a military occupied region, then a fight doesn't instantly break out during the same turn. The rulebook suggests that fighting occurs during "the next turn". I'm I reading that right? This is an instance where zombies and military units don't instantly fight, right?
A8: Correct.

Q9: If I pass over multiple outbreak spaces on the Mutation Track during a single turn do I have one outbreak or multiple outbreaks? I'm assuming multiple, but the rulebook suggests that it's "an outbreak".
A9: For each space that your mutation marker passes on the mutation track you follow the directions for that space. Thus if you move past two outbreak spaces, then you would roll for two outbreaks.

Q10: Regarding "Military Might", the second sentence leaves some wiggle room on this card. Can it be used ONE time on ONE unit, with that activation being used whenever you want? Or is it that it can be used ANY number of times on ANY number of units?
A10: One time, on one unit.

Q11: For "Shortages", for a multiple use power, is only the very FIRST use of the first type of tech that you activate costs you +1 RC total, or does EVERY use that turn of the first tech that you use costs you +1 RC each?
A11: +1 total.

Q12: For "Revived Resources", can you place the resource icon on a space that is not 'producible'. i.e. has no population die?
A12: Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.