Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I am trying to find two new games that I can play with two different gaming groups. For both groups, I will have a hard time convincing them to play a game that is 5+ hours long and super complex. I have read lots of reviews, but nothing is the same as playing a game. Please recommend a game that I could pick up for each:

My Risk playing group:
I am not a huge fan of risk, but enjoy a game every now and them, and some of the risk variants are fun. I am much more of an Axis and Allies player, but have dabbled in a lot of strategy games, from the old cardboard piece Avalon Hill games (Panzerblitz) to games like Civilization (a little too long). I am looking for games that I can play with my risk/AA loving friends that is not too long and does not need more then four players to be fun (I really to try Twilight Imperium, but it does not meet these criteria). I am considering

-Dust
-Age of Empires III
-Shogun
-Imperial (a little different category I know)
-New Cosmic Encounter

My Settlers Group:
I have always found a game of settlers to be fun, and would like another low-key game that would appeal to this crowd. I have considered:

-El Grande
-Puerto Rico

Any thoughts on these games or others before I buy. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elton Christianson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Perhaps Small World for the Risk group. It scales well as it goes from 2-5 players. Also, with race + powers being randomized and well as order of availability being randomized, there is always variance in how to execute your starting stratigy.

My newest gaming group taught me Settlers 1st. Then we go into Puerto Rico which we all liked. Now we are playing Dungeon Lords. Also, Dominion is popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have a look at Cyclades with the Risk group and maybe try Cuba or Macao with the other.

Carson City could even appeal to both...or none for that matter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first group Small World could well work as said, if you're after something more complex but still not as epic as TI3 then you might want to investigate StarCraft: The Board Game.

For the second group have a look at Ad Astra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Nikolenko
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial actually may appeal to both groups, I definitely recommend it; should play in 2 hours, too. For the first group, some not-very-long wargame should go great; I've had a superb four-player night of Successors, but it might turn out to be too long.

For the second group, pick any of the top Eurogames and you won't be disappointed. :) A step in the (a little bit) more complex direction would be to try Chicago Express. It can play very fast, by the way, faster than Settlers for me; but it has some very interesting stuff to think about and a very interesting dynamics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande and Puerto Rico are bothe good games. Anotherone in this cathegory i would reccomend is Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Axis and Allies crowd Tigris & Euphrates would be great. A lot of stratgy, a little different mechanic and a game that scales well.A game should be only a couple of hours.

For the settlers crowd, Pandemic. Again a different mechanic entirely. A cooperative that is tense and plays fast.A nice addition to the game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on the games I've got up here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Simpson
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you listed I have only played Puerto Rico. I find the game to be really fun and enjoyable. My friends and I enjoy Catan greatly ourselves and Puerto Rico is a nice game that your group should get into as well. Once you get a few plays in, the game really isn't all that complicated to play.

Another game I'd recommend for the same group would be Kingsburg. This game is really easy and simple to get into if you don't mind a bunch of dice. It's expansion, To Forge A Realm also adds some variants as well and turns the game from very good to great in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires might appeal to both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.