Subject: imbalanced decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven A
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that some decks are imbalanced, ie, there are a card with a sharp left turn but no card with a sharp right turn. Is this how it's supposed to be? But then why?

I have checked my decks and no card seems to be missing. Unfortunately I havent got them here so I can't say which decks I'm talking about but maybe someone else has noticed this too?

Any thoughts?

/Sven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is intentional. Some planes had a heavy rotating engine which made turns in the direction of this rotation more difficult (because the plane would rather turn against the engine to keep the balance of momentum, I hope I got the physics right now :-)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
That is pretty much correct. Even today most prop aircraft (which only have shaft and flywheel spinning, unlike rotaries where the bulk of the engine spun) favor a turn to the right and need a little bit of rudder applied when turning left to keep the plane in trim. The P-38 in WWII used twin radial engines (not rotaries, radials where the engine is fixed) that rotated in opposition to each other and had a distinct advantage rolling out to the left when it was being pursued by single-engine aircraft.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The World War I aircraft were so light that the mass of the rotating engine had a significant effect. The World War II aircraft were heavier so the effect was less noticable, although as noted it could still have tactical significance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

I was at the College Park Airport Museum this past month in Washington DC and they showed an explanation of what a rotary engine is and had examples. It's not merely the mass of the aircraft being smaller, but the mass of the rotating object being much larger -- the entire crankcase spins along with the propeller. There's a lot more weight trying to push the plane to roll right.

Frankly, I was a big gobsmacked when I saw it. The engine seems to be inside-out. But -- they're lighter since the case replaces the flywheel, and they run cooler since the spinning motion naturally puts a breeze on the engine parts.

Learn something new everyday.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven A
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!

It's incredible how much knowledge there is on the bgg!

/Sven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.