United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first week of August 2010, I will be the GM for the Wellington tournament at the World Boardgaming Championships, and I have been hoping to get in a few games before the big days. VuduJoie was kind enough to round up a few other players (Jason R and Kingput) to get a training game in, and last Wednesday we started in at Bobby Tweak's Mittwoch Spielenacht.

To select sides, we rolled two dice and the highest roll went first. VuduJoie rolled high and picked Armee du Sud. I was next and took Nord. Jason R took Britain and Kingput was left with Spain. Now at PrezCon, Spain won the majority of allied victories by a pretty substantial margin, so I was surprised it was the last power picked. I went for Nord because I had heard that it was the most difficult power to get a victory point win with.

Our first few plays were getting a few must play cards out of our hands (fortunately for both sides there were no super nasty surprises, although Britain ended up losing 6 SPs). In the south, Soult was moving in to take a look at the British keys, Spain was mopping up the southern keys that Soult was not watching, Welly has building to march on Madrid, and Nord was consolidating to prepare for the inevitable confrontation with Welly.

Ciudad Rodrigo went down in the second roll and then Britain began to pay attention to Soult. The big man did not have to march too far south, however, as dynamic card play and crippling dice rolls tore the soldiers from beneath Armee du Sud's strongest commander, Hill and Beresford were strong enough to send Soult back into Spain without dropping a fortress. The incursion took its toll on the British and, with the loss of the 6 SPs earlier, Britain chose to build up forces for the end of turn march to Madrid.

Kingput was keeping things interesting in the south for Spain, but not too much in the north. Spain and Sud exchanged the keys in the south of Spain until we were essentially close to the starting point with regard to keys. Suchet defeated Blake handily in Valencia. Blake rebuilt and chased the French out of the southern keys, but did not have enough CPs to flag it for Spain.

Nord marched up to take Oliva and then marched quickly back to await the strike of the British. Leaving Spain to hold Rodrigo, Welly took the southern route while Marmount and Clausel raced to backup Joseph in Madrid. The leaders were able to charge to meet Wellington and in a frightful roll of destructive dice, routed and eliminated the British forces, resulting in a two Resource roll.

Things were looking good for the French as we came to the Conquest of Spain roll, but Kingput rolled the necessary guerilla dice to take back two unguarded keys and prevent the takeover by one key.

We finished the night leaving the board set up for round 2. France is in a pretty good spot, but turn two is never a happy turn for the French. Can the allies pull off a victory? Can France capture the remaining keys for a sudden death victory? Stay tuned!

If you are interested in playing Wellington at WBC, check the schedule on the BPA web site http://www.boardgamers.org. We are starting with a mulligan round on Monday afternoon, as well as a demonstration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.