Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Just recently noticed some very powerful combinations, and was wondering whether these are actually powerful enough as to be unfair.

1. Strange Delusions + Emerging deep one
Strange Delusions is attached to a character and allows you to change their faction temporarily, Emerging deep one requires that you destroy a cthulhu faction character when you bring it out. This combination lets you choose and destroy ANY character your opponent has in play. simply use Strange Delusions to make them Cthulhu faction then play Emerging deep one and destroy them instead of one of your own characters.

2. Like a Moth + Tear Gas
Like a Moth allows you to reduce a character's skill to 0 until the end of the phase. Tear gas is attached to a character, that character gets -1 skill and is immediately destroyed if their skill is ever reduced to 0. This combination also allows you to destroy any character by attaching tear gas to them, then Playing Like a Moth on them, reducing their skill to 0 which causes tear gas to kill them.
Note: This one seems not as powerful as the previous combination because, rather than use an attachment then gain a character, you use an attachment then lose an event.

3. Interrogation Center + Old Sea Dog(s)
Interrogation center is a location support card that prevents all neutral characters from committing to stories. Old Sea Dog is a character whose ability lets you exhaust him to make any character lose their faction affiliation (i.e. become neutral). Once you have put interrogation center into play, Old Sea Dog(s) can exhaust to prevent opposing characters of your choice to be unable to commit that turn.

I'm not saying that these combinations are necessarily overpowered, I just wanted some other people's opinions on them.

-Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some useful combos, but sorry, I don't think they're anywhere near "overpowered". Finding combos like this and making them pay off is just part and parcel of most CCG games. I'll let the pro players speak up here, but I'm willing to bet none of the 3 you've suggested here would be likely to show up in any competitive deck and wouldn't concern most serious players at all.

I've been out of the competitive scene entirely since before CCG switched over to LCG, so I wonder what the true killer combos are now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love each of those combos, especially because they use cards that are often overlooked (except for #2 which I think is pretty obvious).

Honestly though I don't think any of them are overpowered because:

1. They require two cards for them to work.
2. The first two are one-shot deals. Frankly, I think Infernal Obsession and Short Fuse are essentially the same and much easier to play.
3. Old Sea Dog is vulnerable to character destruction, of which there is a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
I've been out of the competitive scene entirely since before CCG switched over to LCG, so I wonder what the true killer combos are now?

Yeah, me too, but I don't think there's anything that comes even close. The 3x switch of the format really killed combo decks deader than any other change they could have made. That and LCG doesn't have Ithaqua or the Shining Trap which made a huge difference to Yog.

This year's winner was Hastur/Agency which I think speaks a lot to the developing nature of the LCG. There just aren't enough cards out yet, and so Agency is going to run roughshod over almost anything else because it actually has enough character destruction to shut others down. And Hastur of course just has stupid-powerful cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your opinions, I see what you mean. Much of the fun of the game is orchestrating combonations such as these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the cards in front of me, but the scenarios you describe don't seem that overpowered to me. They look like powerful combos, but I don't think they are game destroyers, just good strategic options.

1. Let's you kill of a single character the turn it comes out.

2. Moth is a one off event and the tear gas would go to the discard pile after the character dies.

3. Old Sea Dog/ Interrogation center affects one character per turn, keeping the sea dog exhausted at the time.

With the 3 copies per deck limit I don't think these combos are out of control. There are plenty of ways of dealing with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh there's all sorts of evilness you can do.... I mean, figuring out these card combinations is a large part of what makes CCG or LCG games fun.

So, one probably obvious trick that I employ in a Yog-only milling deck has as its linchpins three Forgotten Shoggoths (they make my own discards go the bottom of my deck instead) and a Blackmoor Estate ("Action: Exhaust and pay X to discard the top X cards of a player's deck.") to really put the grind on the other player. Combined with board clearing cards and cards that intentionally lengthen the game, the idea is to just mill the other player down.

My other fun deck is a Hastur only deck which I'm guessing the same idea is also probably heavily used by many players. Its just a Hastur-insanity deck that uses Dream Parasites to double the Forced Response effects of Victoria's Proteges (to return other Hastur characters to my hand) and Victoria Glasser herself (she makes another character insane with a forced response when she enters play). Also combined with Wandering Inmate and "The Thing Behind You" I can keep pulling Victoria Glasser (and Bearer of the Yellow Sign) from play into my hand, and then replay them with the result that each time they re-enter play I can drive another opponent's character insane. Combining all of that with cards that keep the opponent's characters permanently insane and then leading up to Hastur himself (and the Thing from the Stars if I want to start sniping) it can get nasty...

But like I said, I'm sure the above two deck ideas aren't anything new but I give them as samples of the type of fun to be had with cards that at first just don't seem to help out (such as "Victoria's Protege" - I first thought, now why on Earth would I want to play *her* when she's going to FORCE me to put another of my Hastur characters back into my hand? And then I remembered the cards that drive enemy characters insane when they come into play and the point of "Victoria's Protege" finally dawned on me....)

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele sommi
Italy
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the good old banned aspiring artist would benefit from victoria protege.

Another classic loop is Cthulhu, Hydra, and deep one rising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michelesommi wrote:
Another classic loop is Cthulhu, Hydra, and deep one rising.

At least in the LCG that doesn't work. DOR only kicks in when it is played from hand and Hydra is "put into play" (not the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.