Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently introduced Stone Age to my wife (she isn't exactly a gamer gamer). I prayed she would like it even though i was quite pessimistic. She ended up loving it, and she picked up the rules really good and ended up beating me. She now asks to play it fairly often laugh
The part of the game that she enjoys the most is collecting all of the little resources. She really likes the fact that there is a clear cut idea of what to do with them at all times. My question is. . . what other games could be comparable? Lots of fun resource gathering and a simple purchasing scheme. I thought about Agricola, but I feel the strategies may be too deep rooted in that game.
Any suggestions? Remember, the more bits the better (cute bits help)

-Wes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity

More bits? Yep! Lots and lots more bits?? Yep!

Additionally, each turn during the Harvest phase, you get to fill your hands up with lots and lots of little chits.

Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play it, but perhaps Finca? It has cute fruit-shaped pieces and seems like it might be roughly as involved as Stone Age.

Thebes might work as well. The bits are just cardboard tokens but they have nice art representing different artifacts you find during your excavations. It even comes with a reference sheet giving a brief description of each and how old they are. The game is really straightforward and quite a bit of fun (if you are okay with the high random factor when doing excavations). One of the best marriages of theme and mechanics I've seen.

Cuba has some great components although I've never tried playing it with two. It is a small step up in complexity but could work if it plays well with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS: Over 90 Minutes is probably a no go

That leaves Finca and Thebes, which I shall read up on now. Finca sounding the better of the 2.

Thanks So Far
-Wes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CassSoren
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamonds Club has lots of bits collecting!

Collect coins that clink nicely as income at the beginning of your turn. Place coins in the market to buy chits that represent ships, contracts, gem mines, different animals - or even more coins! Convert sets consisting of a ship, contract, and gem mine into like colored gems - which are colorful sparkly plastic. Finally, spend gems to purchase chits for your estate board that represent different kinds of improvements. Lots of bits, and all very pretty! It's a nice medium-light euro that scales well between 2 and 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deliverator wrote:
Thebes might work as well...

I'll second this...Thebes was the first game that came to my mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats has bits galore, including cute things like geese bits on farms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Look into these

Samurai
Hey, That's My Fish!
Through the Desert
Tikal
Tobago
Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
Yspahan
Notre Dame
Carcassonne
Thurn and Taxis
Agricola(heavier game)
Goa(heavier game )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, FINCA sounds like an excellent recommendation after reading the rulebook. Thanks alot. That one just went to the wishlist

Qualm wrote:
Roads & Boats has bits galore, including cute things like geese bits on farms.

240 Minutes > 90 Minutes laugh

I do love all the bits though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goatfarmer03 wrote:

240 Minutes > 90 Minutes laugh

I do love all the bits though.

Ah I missed that. There's Zooloretto if you like lighter games, and At the Gates of Loyang for a medium game (it plays less than 120 minutes with 2 people.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca is something I'm going to get at some point. It does sound like what you're looking for, as you said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipyard is a big step up in terms of complexity, but the entire game is pretty much about shopping for little ship pieces and putting together cool looking ships. I was definitely partially attracted to it because of the visually neat shipbuilding element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca is a great 2-player game. The mechanics of the game are simple enough for a 7 year old, but like many simple games such as Carcassone and TTR, 2P strategy requires a lot of cut-throat tactics, quick recognition of tactical opportunities, and clever play to beat an equal opponent. It's not so heavy to hurt your head, but has enough for the gamer and non-gamer alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth should be right up your street.

Blue Moon City might well be worth checking out too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:
There's Zooloretto if you like lighter games

I'm seconding this suggestion, as well as Thebes. Also, research El Grande; it just might work and is very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Moffett
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candamir: The First Settlers

I know it's odd to suggest a game you've never actually played, but from what I understand nearly the entire game centers around going out, collecting resources like mushrooms and other things, taking them back to the town and converting them into stuff for the town, earning you victory points and such. It has some light RPG elements but seems easy enough to understand.

Also for a light (very light) twist, I can personally suggest Unnamed Object. It's cheap, quick, easily understood and revolves around collecting nuggets of semi-precious/precious stones and gold which are quite cool in their own right since they're actually irregularly shaped and nugget-like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
Deliverator wrote:
Thebes might work as well...

I'll second this...Thebes was the first game that came to my mind...

third!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Finca is something I'm going to get at some point. It does sound like what you're looking for, as you said!

For those getting Finca, at some point you might want to also get At the Gates of Loyang. It's a different kind of game, but shares the "lots of bits" criteria.

And you will have the option of asking "should we play the fruit game or the vegetable game?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.