Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm coming to my first BGG.con this year, and I'm very excited. I play lots of games, and I won't be picky, but I thought I'd post and ask, how much war gaming (if any) goes on at these conventions? I scanned through the game library and didn't see any of the few I scanned for (although it was far from comprehensive). Does that mean it doesn't tend to happen in this venue?

I'm just wondering, it's no big deal one way or the other.

Thanks,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a War Game room. Sure, sometimes other stuff goes on in there, but when it gets closer, there will be a thread with a whole list of games where you can sign up in advance to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
the wargaming at the con has grown every year. a wide variety of wargames are played. everything from Here I Stand to Up Front to Axis and Allies.

there was one room last year that was consistently filled with mostly wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
molitor4 wrote:
the wargaming at the con has grown every year. a wide variety of wargames are played. everything from Here I Stand to Up Front to Axis and Allies.

there was one room last year that was consistently filled with mostly wargames.

Does that include Battling Gladiators?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I played at least two games of CC:E last year, and am always happy to get in a game of anything Combat Commander. (I see you rate CC quite highly).

Without digging into my notes (or memory), I do recall Pax Baltica, 2 de Mayo, and Richard III: The Wars of the Roses being played as well.

So yes, there are wargames at BGG.con, just might have to bring your own copy of the game instead of relying on Aldie's game library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, have a look at last year's sign up list; I think I scheduled 48 hours of wargames.

You're right that the game library is pretty light as far as wargames go, but if there's something you want to play, someone will bring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always a geeklist for wargame signups posted a couple of months before the Con. It's not mandatory to sign up, but it's a nice way to get around the fact that it's a little harder to find a pickup game for something that takes 4 or more hours. It also helps decide what to bring, since the game library is a little light on wargames.

Here's last year's list: http://bg.geekdo.com/geeklist/45793/bgg-con-2009-for-wargame...

The user that starts the list is
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb

It may be a good idea to subscribe to his posts as we get closer to the Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as you want, is the short answer.

For some reason, there is a misperception that BGG con is almost all Euro games/gamers. I played my butt off in wargames. Sword of Rome, Napoleonic Wars, Wings of War, Combat Commander, command and colors. you get the idea.

Chris Montgomery is often near a lot of the wargaming too, and a great guy to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The library's wargame collection: (advanced search user Geekdo, subdomain Wargame)

List games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The library's wargame collection: (advanced search user Geekdo, subdomain Wargame)

List games

Super awesome, thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamers Meetup Geeklist is up and running for BGG 2010. Please spread the word....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/58447/bgg-con-2010-for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic. I think I'll go put some items up right now.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.