Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sitting on an explored gate at the black cave. My friend had an encounter in a different location that said "If you choose to...Move to the Black Cave and draw 2 encounter cards and choose which of the 2 to encounter." Now the confusion comes in from 2 things:

1)Could he then trade clues to me so I could seal the gate I was standing on rather than just close it?

2)Would he get pulled through the gate?

We weren't sure specifically about the pulled part because his encounter said specifically to have an encounter at the Black Cave. Which he couldn't do if he was pulled through. We ruled that if he stayed there his next turn he would get pulled through.

For the trading since it says in the rules that if you're on the same space as another investigator you can trade anytime before, during or after movement. Since we ruled that he didn't get pulled through we figured the trade was valid also.

What does everyone here think tho?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Quote:

1)Could he then trade clues to me so I could seal the gate I was standing on rather than just close it?

Trading items only happens during the movement phase. You're in the Arkham Encounters phase, so, sadly, no trading for you.

Quote:
2)Would he get pulled through the gate?

To my understanding, yes, he would get pulled through. For all intents and purposes, the gate replaces the location while it's on the board. The character without the "explored" token gets pulled through, is delayed and has an encounter there during "Other World" phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) You cannot trade clues with another investigator unless some very rare and very specific conditions are met (there's a Dunwich card that allows an encounter at the newspaper to result in investigators being able to trade clues like items, for example). Patrice can violate this rule and feed her clues to other investigators, but that's her special power.

2) When a gate is open at a location, having an encounter at that location is going through the gate. When a gate is open, you can never draw encounter cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Cardshark1029 wrote:
Quote:

Trading items only happens during the movement phase. You're in the Arkham Encounters phase, so, sadly, no trading for you.

Yes and no. You can't trade Clues unless something specifically allows it. As mentioned, it is pretty rare.

But, you can trade any time EXCEPT battle. So if you wanted to trade an Elder Sign Unique Item card, you could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
But, you can trade any time EXCEPT battle. So if you wanted to trade an Elder Sign Unique Item card, you could.
Just to be totally crystal clear, this means you can trade during Upkeep, Movenent, Arkham Encounters, Other World Encounters, or I guess even Mythos phase, as long as you're in the same space.

The only time you can't trade items is while an actual combat is going on. So for example if you're sharing the same space and get a "monster appears" Arkham encounter, you can't get items from your buddy to help you during that combat. But other than that, you can trade whenever you want (when you're in the same space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Coolhand" Luke
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've read this a few times in the rulebook and never really was clear on trading, is it in the same "Space" or is it same "location" and by location would that mean if I were in any of the Miskatonic U spaces (streets, admin, science building etc..), I could trade with others in the Miskatonic u spaces even if it wasn't exactly the same (they're in streets, I'm in admin building can I trade money with them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You have to be in the same physical space on the board with them. If they are on the Miskatonic U streets, you have to be there as well - trading from the Admin building won't work - unless they are in the admin building as well.

Same with the OW - you have to be in the same physical half of the OW to trade. One can't be on Space 1 and the other on Space 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolhanded88 wrote:
So I've read this a few times in the rulebook and never really was clear on trading, is it in the same "Space" or is it same "location" and by location would that mean if I were in any of the Miskatonic U spaces (streets, admin, science building etc..), I could trade with others in the Miskatonic u spaces even if it wasn't exactly the same (they're in streets, I'm in admin building can I trade money with them).

The rules and cards refer to a "neighbourhood" when they talk about a group of areas like that. A "Location" or an "area" refers to a single space on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify puck71's crystal clarity :-), if the monster appears, you can trade items before the actual combat begins; i.e., before the horror or evade check.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
To clarify puck71's crystal clarity :-), if the monster appears, you can trade items before the actual combat begins; i.e., before the horror or evade check.

Brian
No, I don't think you can. The overall "phase" of combat has already started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:

Brian

No, I don't think so. Once an encounter starts, nothing interrupts it. So if you draw a "monster appears" encounter, no trading can occur until after the monster is evaded or one of you is defeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Yozie
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Cardshark1029"]
Quote:
The character without the "explored" token gets pulled through, is delayed and has an encounter there during "Other World" phase.

To clarify (or muddy) things further. Would the character actually be delayed in this case? The gate replaces the location, and the encounter for the character would simply be to go to the first OW space, without being delayed, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little more specific than just 'no trading during combat'. You really need to extend that to 'no trading while something else is happening.' You can trade money during the arkham encounter stage, but not while someone is looking at the curiousity shop items and deciding what to buy. You can trade items, but not while someone is reading their encounter card. When an encounter happens, it happens, there's no pause button to get some trading in first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming from my CCG world, trading is a "top level action" and not a "response action." So it can only be done on its own (when nothing else is happening) not as a response to something else happening (and thus not while something else is happening).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been mentioned a number of times that when a gate is open on a location then the location doesn't exist. So I'd rule that you disregard the encounter that says "If you choose to... move to the Black Cave..." because you can't go to the Black Cave because that location doesn't exist. This ruling simplifies things somewhat

As a consequence, it's a moot point whether anyone gets pulled through the gate or whether trading can occur in this instance.

Of course, the discussions from everyone else on the thread are still relevant to the general case of two investigators in the same place as a gate: you can't trade clues (ever), but you can trade all other legal trades so long as you're not in combat, and you'll be drawn through the gate during your Arkham Encounter phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
It's been mentioned a number of times that when a gate is open on a location then the location doesn't exist. So I'd rule that you disregard the encounter that says "If you choose to... move to the Black Cave..." because you can't go to the Black Cave because that location doesn't exist. This ruling simplifies things somewhat

It's good for a houserule but not officially correct. The "space formerly knows as the location" still exists so you can physically move there.

Quote:
Of course, the discussions from everyone else on the thread are still relevant to the general case of two investigators in the same place as a gate: you can't trade clues (ever), but you can trade all other legal trades so long as you're not in combat, and you'll be drawn through the gate during your Arkham Encounter phase.

Clues can be traded under certain circumstances. So the "(ever)" comments takes it too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
It's a little more specific than just 'no trading during combat'. You really need to extend that to 'no trading while something else is happening.' You can trade money during the arkham encounter stage, but not while someone is looking at the curiousity shop items and deciding what to buy. You can trade items, but not while someone is reading their encounter card. When an encounter happens, it happens, there's no pause button to get some trading in first.

Great perspective on this. It really should be clarified to trading can occur at any time except during an "effect."

An effect being the reading and resolution of an encounter -or- engaging a monster -or- the reading and resolution of a mythos card -or- combat with the GOO (either while a player is making his attack or the GOO is attacking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="ColtsFan76
An effect being the reading and resolution of an encounter -or- engaging a monster -or- the reading and resolution of a mythos card -or- combat with the GOO (either while a player is making his attack or the GOO is attacking).[/q]

I love the image that springs to mind here: "excuse me Mr Chthulu, sir, but would you mind not hitting me for a moment while I take this $5 from my friend Mr Ashcan?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the thought of "the location formerly known as..."; very rock and roll!

I accept that handling locations in the manner described is "not official", but until we get an official FAQ published, what is? Until we do get such a ruling (or until Cthulu rises from his slumbers, whichever comes first - and I know where my money is) I like the simplification that this approach can provide.

A houserule it is, young ColtsFan, mmmmh (if I may mix references).

Oh, and I agree that "ever" should always be tempered with "until a game component overrules it". I always take that caveat as read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The problem is that the "new" FAQ is not official but I have been staring at it for so long, i forget what has been published under previous FAQ's and what is exclusive to the new FAQ. On top of that, it is possible some of the "new" FAQs might get reversed which is why I am leery to quote them.

However, it is safe to say that 1) the space physically exists as the gate is there. 2) the location is completely covered which means you ignore drawing for a card, the special ability, making martial law checks, and disregard any closed markings there as well.

3) trading is anytime except combat. But as David pointed out, we have another ruling 4) that says an effect, once started, can't be interrupted. So if you combine these two rulings, trading DOES become a lot more restricted.

So yeah, lots of interaction here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.