Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BattleLore» Forums » Variants

Subject: Unofficial/cheap expansion: customize your War Council with metal minis! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
My BL has been quiet in the shelf until a month ago, when I tried to convince my son that it is faster and easier that his never-ending Warhammer battles. And it worked! So I had to re-read the rules, mainly the differences from CCA, and I found that the War Council looks rather poor: flat cardboard discs that, from an angle/distance, are not easy to tell apart, specially the level of the masters present.

Then I realized that the Grenadier catalog at the MegaMiniatures store contains some metal miniatures amazingly similar to the BL masters... and amazingly cheap! About 1 euro each, so for much cheaper than any official mini-expansion you can get a great-looking and easy to read War Council. This is how they look like out from the mail:

I thought that thick wooden discs would help to distinguish at a glance the master level. These are the two War Councils, with level-3 Commander and level-1 masters:

And here are the different lore masters, some of them almost identical to the BL pictures!

The white Rogue is quite sexy!
The white Wizard looks like Gandalf...
The Warriors look like the symbol, not like the ugly dwarf...
Two Cleric styles.
I only found one Commander, but a very good one!

I have just given them a dry-brush of silver/gold and a black wash (tired of painting), and glued them to a black/white wooden disc (the 1st level). For extra levels, just put them on top of other discs, like the level-3 Commanders on the pictures above. Very easy to "read" the level, even from the other side of the room.

I think that these 10 euros are going to get BL to the table much more often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice Miguel. You've inspired me to finish a similar project using Caesar Miniatures Adventurers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bruni
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... do you still have your order from from that store?

I would like to check out (eventually get) the minis you chose but I'd hate to get frustrated over not finding those you are showing here.

Many thanks
feel free to PM me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't have it. But the way to go is download the "Grenadier Classics" pdf catalog, on the left of their page, and in the first pages you have all the miniatures, with clear picture and code.

Or, the way I did, you go to their Ebay store (link on top of their page), select "Grenadier Classics" on the left, and choose your minis. I think I chose the best ones for BL, but in some cases you may like others more.

The advantage of buying directly from them is that they are even cheaper, since they avoid Ebay fees, but I'm more used to Ebay, maybe next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.