Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian H.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Kat's Hotshot ability and/or Ellen Tigh's Politically Adroit ability be used during an Executive Order? I'll quote the abilities here:

Hotshot - When you would roll a die during your Action step, you may instead discard a Skill Card. Use the card's strength +2 instead of the die roll.

Politically Adroit - When you end your Movement step in the same location as another human player, you may give that player 1 Skill Card from your hand to draw 2 Skill Cards.

I'm leaning towards no. The key word here is "your," your Action step or your Movement step. When you're XO'ed, you're moving or taking actions during someone else's Action step, not your own. Right? I just want to make sure. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I didn't see it in the FAQ/UFAQ or other threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. Kat and Ellen can only use those abilities on their turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI an XO doesn't give you a movement step. You are still in the action step of the current players turn with an XO... at least I believe you are.

If you were to take Starbuck for example and use your first action in space to XO someone it would go back to Starbuck assuming the XO'ed player doesnt reaveal right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Step" is used like "Phase of a turn" thruout the rules.

Rules, Page 9 wrote:

...Each game turn consists of the following steps, carried
out in order:
1. Receive Skills Step: The current player draws the number
and types of Skill Cards listed on his character sheet (see
“Receive Skills Step” on this page).
2. Movement Step: The current player may move to a different
location. If he moves to a different ship (from Galactica
to Colonial One or vice versa), he must discard one Skill
Card from his hand.
3. Action Step: The current player chooses one action to
perform. Options include the actions listed on his location,
character sheet, and Skill Cards (see the full list of actions
on page 10).
4. Crisis Step: The top...

Executive Order Card wrote:

...He may move his character and then take 1 action OR not move and take 2 actions.

The card doesn't give the targeted player "move & action step" or "2 action steps", it gives them a "move & an action" or "2 actions". So, to my way of thinking, the move step and the action step are always the "Current Player's ____ Step", and therefore neither Kat nor Ellen can use their specials.

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess though since the current player always roll the die unless othewise stated (ie command ruling, scouting) if Kat was in the brig and XO'ed someone to activate FTL she could still use her hot shot... in theory right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting one I hadn't thought of, with Kat-Brig-FTL. You could argue that the person taking the action which causes the die roll (activating FTL) gets to make the roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
I would guess though since the current player always roll the die unless othewise stated (ie command ruling, scouting) if Kat was in the brig and XO'ed someone to activate FTL she could still use her hot shot... in theory right?
Yet another conondrum. My groups have always interpreted this as the person who's activating the location. The rulebook does state current player rolls the die, but this is one part where many have let the spirit of the game take precedence.

If this is still true, that's one reason why she's still kinda awful. You hardly get to use her ability in a 5 to 7p game. OTOH, her weakness also only triggers when it's her turn as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Danath wrote:
Yet another conondrum. My groups have always interpreted this as the person who's activating the location. The rulebook does state current player rolls the die, but this is one part where many have let the spirit of the game take precedence.

If this is still true, that's one reason why she's still kinda awful. You hardly get to use her ability in a 5 to 7p game. OTOH, her weakness also only triggers when it's her turn as well.

That's where the rule book is a bit messy. For instance if you look at command (in the rulebook) it says the player activing. If you look at LS it says 'you' meaning the person taking the action. I would say in the spirit of the game and if we asked it would come back as the person using the action.

Also if a player is piloting a viper it says in the rulebook they roll. So if you XO a pilot and they attack the pilot rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:

Absolutely. It is HER action step. In fact, if she XO'd someone, and they did a pair of Launch Scouts, she could ensure safe passage of BOTH with a pair of skill "1" cards. Pretty cheap!

Her, a Max Firepower, and a mitt full off cards starts getting scary....

Gerry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Danath wrote:

Absolutely. It is HER action step. In fact, if she XO'd someone, and they did a pair of Launch Scouts, she could ensure safe passage of BOTH with a pair of skill "1" cards. Pretty cheap!

Gerry
Do you have official or "official-like" sources for this? This would certainly put Kat in a whole new light. Of course I'd have to print this ruling out for some of my game groups, but I really would like to give Kat another shot. Pun intended I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Danath wrote:

Gerry

But she isn't rolling the die with a Lauch Scout...The player using the action is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Danath wrote:

Gerry

But she isn't rolling the die with a Lauch Scout...The player using the action is.
Right, there's that distinction. Yeah, LS says to roll a die. However, the rulebook says that when there's no clear roller (such as when raiders fire), then it's the current player. Yeah, that does make sense. Kat is still not so hot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Right, there's that distinction. Yeah, LS says to roll a die. However, the rulebook says that when there's no clear roller (such as when raiders fire), then it's the current player. Yeah, that does make sense. Kat is still not so hot.

If I remember right LS says, 'YOU may risk a raptor to roll a die...' That means the person playing the card, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to read the XO card. It grants an Action, NOT an Action Step. Therefore it is still Kat's Action Step. Therefore her die roll mechanism can be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
You need to read the XO card. It grants an Action, NOT an Action Step. Therefore it is still Kat's Action Step. Therefore her die roll mechanism can be used.

Kat's ability is "When you would roll a die during your Action step, you may instead discard a Skill Card. Use the card's strength +2 instead of the die roll."

Which means she has to phyically roll the die. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

If I remember right LS says, 'YOU may risk a raptor to roll a die...' That means the person playing the card, right?

The word "YOU" is NOT on the card. It says
Launch Scout wrote:

Action: Risk 1 raptor to roll a die. If 3 or higher, look at the top..."

Nothing about WHO is rolling. So again, read, carefully. Most of these work out straightforward.

Who physically throws the die onto the table does not concern me. I'd let the player of the card do so in any game I was playing, but only after Kat said "rolling, not playing" during her Action Step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My memory fails me!!! BlARG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine too. First thing I did was pull up the cards and check the actual wording, it's amazing how one word or pronoun can slip in or out of the wording, and make a huge impact on its definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4803650#4803650

I brought this up before and poured over the rules. The rules have conflictions on who rolls. I found previously that occupational forces on caprica is the person using the action. When someone activates command the person using command rolls. When a pilot is XO'ed the Current Player is suppose to roll on attack rolls.... so very confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent to Corey:

Quote:
If "Kat" is the current player and plays an Executive Order (XO), are there any legal actions the target of the XO could take which Kat's Hotshot ability would apply to? Some examples that have been debated:
* Launch Scout : card does not say who should roll the die, so defaults back to current player (Kat) and it's her action step (she played the XO, that doesn't make it someone else's action step), therefore she can Hotshot
* FTL Control : original rules say that the current player rolls the die, since this is Kat, she can Hotshot
* Quorum cards: some say to "roll a die" but do not specify who should do the die rolling, so defaults back to Kat who can Hotshot
* Pegasus board locations (Main Batteries, CIC): same as above

Now in all cases except FTL control, you could choose to read the card/location as "this is a command, therefore grammatically, the understood 'you' refers to the player playing the command, and therefore that player must be the one to roll the die." That would still leave FTL control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I love Games with ~~~ THEME ~~~~
badge
I don't have hobbies I have *p@ssions*
mbmbmbmbmb
We had that discussion about Kat here as well:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/457366/experiences-with-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Corey (emphasis his):

Quote:
When a player plays a skill card, quorum card or activates a location that requires a die to be rolled, THAT PLAYER rolls the die (not the current player.

Basically, this means that if Kat gives a player an Executive order, she cannot use her Hotshot ability (which only works when she rolls the die).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. That makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I love Games with ~~~ THEME ~~~~
badge
I don't have hobbies I have *p@ssions*
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
From Corey (emphasis his):

Quote:
When a player plays a skill card, quorum card or activates a location that requires a die to be rolled, THAT PLAYER rolls the die (not the current player.

Basically, this means that if Kat gives a player an Executive order, she cannot use her Hotshot ability (which only works when she rolls the die).

Doese this include FTL?
The above is only a clarification where exact ruling was missing. With FTL the rules already state that the current player rolls the die, not the one activating it by XO. Doese this statment overrule the rulebook here? If so this should realy be added to offical Errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I specifically asked about FTL, I would say that this is an override of the rules, but I will clarify with Corey. Someone want to spare me the trouble of looking up the page # in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.