Blood Bowl: Living Rulebook» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Chaos Dwarfs vs Nurgle test match (with pics) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting better at Blood Bowl. Still not doing good, but I'm getting there. Some people still think this game is a simple dice-fest, but trust me, it's a lot harder than you think.

Right now I'm trying out different teams and setups cause I want to know which team I'll be playing next league. As a bonus, knowing how to play several different teams should help playing against those teams. Last practice game was Chaos Dwarfs vs Nurgle (both 1000 TV). I'm interested in playing both, but Nurgle especially looks a lot of fun. Basically I wanted to try out the defense of 2 different Nurgle builds:

Build 1:
1 Beast of Nurgle
3 Nurgle Warriors
2 Pestigors
5 Rotters
2 re-rolls

Build 2:
1 Beast of Nurgle
4 Nurgle Warriors
1 Pestigor
5 Rotters
2 re-rolls

I played a little with my defense setups. I decided to go with something like this:

Link to the play creator

Build 1 in blue on the right, build 2 in yellow on the left.

First half = build 1

Setup:

The Chaos Dwarfs started with some blocking on the line of scrimmage. The bull centaur picked up the ball and went towards the end zone. But he wasn't well protected. A blitz from a pestigor resulted in both down, which I was happy to take here:

The Chaos Dwarfs blocked some more. But the frenzy of the minotaur was stopped by the foul appearance of a Nurgle Warrior. Also, the beast was holding a chaos dwarf and 2 hobgoblins next to him, giving Nurgle an advantage.

The centaur failed an attempt to pick up the ball and rotters where closing in. In a desperate attempt the centaur finally succeeded and ran for the end zone. But the Chaos Dwarfs where unable to keep the Nurgle players in enough tackle zones. A pestigor broke free and blitzed the centaur. I die block and through the armour!

A rotter picked up the ball. And with the protection of the blitzing pestigor he ran as fast as he could.

In the end, I needed a dodge and 3x2 going for its to score (with a re-roll available). Unlikely, but in Blood Bowl anything can happen.

1-0

Second half = build 2

Again the Chaos Dwarfs will be receiving. After the usual initial bashing a hobgoblin picked up the ball and stood in a cage. A pestigor blitzed the cage open (with an assist from a rotter). Then I moved the beast right next to the ball carrier, immobilizing 3 players. But the hobgoblin did a hand off to the bull centaur who was standing in the corner of the cage. The centaur rushed forward, only to find himself surrounded by 3 rotters. The centaur tried to break free but this resulted in a both down, removing a rotter

(caution! blurry pic)

This left the field wide open for the rotters. One picked up the ball and ran to the top where I had lots of other Nurgle players. I then started the run to the end zone, blocking chaos dwarfs and hobgoblins. One dwarf would be able to go for it and blitz the rotter carrying the ball so I blitzed the pestigor free and moved him next to the dwarf to put him in a tackle zone. There was nothing the Chaos Dwarfs could do.

2-0 for Nurgle.

What I've learned:

Although probably not tier 1, Nurgle is a great team to play with. The beast did an excellent job immobilizing opposing players, and it wasn't that hard to babysit him when needed. Both Nurlge warriors and pestigors are terrific players. And even the rotters are pretty good. The team is expensive though.

I want two warriors on the line of scrimmage, especially against bashy teams. The Pestigors are great blitzers and a movement of 6 really helps out. They are not "better rotters" as I first thought, they're much more. I'm still not sure what the best build is. Two warriors on the LOS might be a problem with only 3 available. But with only 1 pestigor the team lacks some speed. I will probably test again against an agility team (Skaven or Wood elves?). My final build will probably also depend on what teams will be playing in the league.

Feel free to offer any advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc nadeau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For bloodbowl Lineups and descriptions go to http://fumbbl.com/help:RaceStrategy

it can give you a good idea, but the nurgle rosters is for the previous version.

I played Nurgle in our league and that's my suggestion :

For long term league, always go for the "TEAM TOUGNESS " first. So buy minimun 3 rerolls and 9 FF. You want that extra cash from the FF and those rerolls will be welcome. Most players go for the full line ups of players and dont buy enough rerolls, that will cost some game.

Remember you can loose all your guys in the first match, but rerolls can never be lost.

so for a long term league with a lot of opponent i'd go with :

3 rrolls
9 FF
2 NurgleWarriors
3 pestigors (blitzers / scorers)
6 rotters

For shorts terms, or long terms but with fewer teams (2-3 opponents):

2 Rrolls
3 FF
1 beast
3 Nurgle warriors
2 Pestigors
5 rotters

it's like your #2, but i would go with 2 pestigors rather then 4 Nurgle Warriors

For your defense set-up, it's good for the disturbing-presence skill, but against stronger teams, you give up the line of scrimmage. I always put the beast on the middle square because of the Really stupid skill, you have 1/6 chance to miss your moove and it require a player next to you. For the beast i just put it in the middle to assist and use it at the end of my turns to block or moove, but never rely on it. I place the nurgle warrior on the line of scrimmage too, making sure to spread across the 7 sqaures of the Line of scrimmage, then your opponenent will place is player anywhere except in the middle. make him go to side line so you can divide his forces and push him in the crowd.

Nurgle is one of the best defensive team, and with acces to mutation you can have a really deadly force. Nurgle wariors with mighty blow and claws can be deadly. Once you have numerical adventage over your oppponent you have a chance to win, So always go for a crowd push or late game fouls to make sure your opponent stays low on players.

hope this help .
May nuffle bless your dices...

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc nadeau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

nice figs, nice field by the way thumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advise

Quote:
For shorts terms, or long terms but with fewer teams (2-3 opponents):

2 Rrolls
3 FF
1 beast
3 Nurgle warriors
2 Pestigors
5 rotters

it's like your #2, but i would go with 2 pestigors rather then 4 Nurgle Warriors

Actually, this is identical to my first build. Although I might as well bank the 30K instead of 3FF (I think).

Not sure about the first build. 9FF is a lot, and since LRB5 FF isn't as important I think. The FF will help at kick-off, but I'd rather play with an extra positional which should help in each game. With 3RR, I think I'd go 3 warriors, 3 pestigors and 5 rotters.

kramnias wrote:

nice figs, nice field by the way thumbsupthumbsup

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc nadeau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oups sorry about your first line-up

9 FF will give you FAME +1 if your opponent as low FF.

Fame +1 give you automatic 10k of winnings. Extra cash could be a great asset in league play..

i'd take 3 FF over banking 30k cash.

If you play LRB 5.0, then remember lost player can be replace by journeymens so you can pile up the cash for some pestigors or replacing key players.

and for long terms, 70k could be great to buy at the beginnig, cause 140k for each reroll is A LOT of money, and nurgle dont win that often .

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
for your defense set-up, it's good for the disturbing-presence skill, but against stronger teams, you give up the line of scrimmage. I always put the beast on the middle square because of the Really stupid skill, you have 1/6 chance to miss your moove and it require a player next to you. For the beast i just put it in the middle to assist and use it at the end of my turns to block or moove, but never rely on it. I place the nurgle warrior on the line of scrimmage too, making sure to spread across the 7 sqaures of the Line of scrimmage, then your opponenent will place is player anywhere except in the middle. make him go to side line so you can divide his forces and push him in the crowd.

This part will make the 3 warrior - 2 pestigor build the best one for me I think. Spread the warriors out against passing teams for disturbing presence: you don't need them all of them on the LoS against those teams. And put them on the LoS against bashy teams: you don't need the disturbing presence anyway, you want the foul appearance.

If you put the beast on the LoS, don't they put 1 or 2 linemen against the beast making it immobile and useless? I'd rather chose (instead of my opponent) which players I'm going to hold. I guess it can work if the beast has break tackle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much point in taking a lot of ff from the start in lrb 5+. It averages out too soon, winning games earns you more then the ff ever will so spend that money on stuff that helps you win games. I always bank the leftover cash instead of spending it on ff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.