Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I have just posted pics and rules for my unpublished game Ant's Picnic. I would love some feedback on the rules. It is my first attempt at writing a set of rules. As I continue to edit - with your assistance - I will post new versions of the rules.
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Whitcher
United States
Manchester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a real quick browse through of your rules. From what I gleaned I think I could pick the finer details such as movement restrictions easily with a little more time.

One thing that struck me was the full page of turn order instruction that repeated over and over. It could be condensed with just the first sets and then a Lather rinse repeat sort of notation.

The other is a matter of intended audience. The randomness of the dice over the sort span of 8 turns might not be an issue for casual gamers or 8 year olds. It would be for most serious gamers. I see that you have simplified the game by removing the events for the young ones which is good idea until they get a grip on the basic rules. After that they should be able to ease into it with the help of an older player.

Good luck with you game whatever you have planned for it.

And now for my shameless promotion of Protospiel. Take a look at www.protospiel.org if you have any questions let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dralius wrote:

The other is a matter of intended audience. The randomness of the dice over the sort span of 8 turns might not be an issue for casual gamers or 8 year olds. It would be for most serious gamers.

Good point - I might try play testing it with unlimited movement - any ant can move any number of squares orthogonally in one direction with the same restrictions (pop can, gum etc...) in place. Ants and other bugs also restrict movements. Obviously, the edges of the board stop movement.

If dice movement remains, I have also thought of the following: if a player rolls an eight then they can move in more than one direction (not diagonal). In other words, they could move three spaces up, two across, and three up, thereby avoiding an object and getting to food they need.
MORE PLAYTESTING NEEDED!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.