Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm an organizer of a national board game blitz tournament called "The Great Canadian Board Game Blitz":

http://www.gcbgb.ca/

Here's an overview of how the tournament works. There are 5 game rounds. In the first round, players choose from a fixed number of games in a random order. A number of points are earned based on finishing rank. For the following rounds, players choose which game they play, from a different set of games, in decreasing order of accumulated points with ties being broken randomly. The winner is the player with the total number of accumulated points at the end of all the rounds. As a player, you get to play five different games and meet many other gamers. And, since we explain the rules and answer questions, it's also a great way to learn new games! We usually get quite a friendly and casual bunch, despite it being competitive.

I don't know anybody from the gaming communities in the Halifax or surrounding areas.. so I was wondering if you could help me out. Could you tell me whether people would play in such a tournament? Are Euro-style games popular there?

I'm juggling with the idea of holding a tournament at Hal-Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastian,

Thanks!! I've looked into it and contacted them.

One thing I may not have made clear in my post: players get to choose among several different games each round. An example of a game list we've used recently is here:

http://www.gcbgb.ca/cangames2010/gamelist-CanGames2010.pdf

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Arnold
Canada
Douglas
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Marc,

If you have contacted me just wondering where you sent it to.

let_it_roll@thegame.com

Hope to hear from you

Kurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurt,

Nope.. I used the "Contact Us" form from the Halifax Game Night meetup group. The person in charge was named Mike, so I guess it's not you

I couldn't find a web site for Let It Roll.. only a page about it on that meetup group. Is there a place that describes the tournament in more detail? From that page I read it seems like the difference between GCBGB and Let it Roll is the selections of games per round, but maybe you can confirm or deny that.

Anyhow, I have just forwarded you an email I sent to the Hal-Con organizers.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Arnold
Canada
Douglas
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=4372257309...

Yes we have a set games list that each player must play once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurt,

Ok, cool, thanks for the link. How often do you hold these? Are you planning to hold one at Hal-Con (I wouldn't want competing tournaments.. I've emailed you a follow-up on this point)? How much different is the format for calculating points than GCBGB? Do you think the Let it Roll crowd would be interested in participating in a GCBGB tournament at Hal-Con?

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.