Dick Blaskowitz
United States
manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
I'm thinking about sinking some dough into an LCG, and all three of these look interesting.

A few questions:

1. Is one of the three more 'developed' than the others? Sort of the way that Shadows over Camelot was great in its time, but got left in the dust by BSG?

2. Is there an easy way to just get it all in one go when I do pick one up? I'm a bit of a completionist, would be interested to find a huge package deal or something.

3. Can anyone compare\contrast the gameplay styles of the three?

My background here: Primarily playing with girlfriend. We're both huge fans of the Fire and Ice series, and we both like lovecraft also. I'm a fan of the warhammer mythos, but it'd be a harder sell for her.

Any random thoughts are more than welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
only played AGoT and W:I. IMO, Warhammer:Invasion is the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Blaskowitz
United States
manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
What's better about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob the Hobbit
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l0de wrote:

2. Is there an easy way to just get it all in one go when I do pick one up? I'm a bit of a completionist, would be interested to find a huge package deal or something.

Sometimes people sell their old collections, so you could look out for this. However, even then it would make sense to decide which one you want.

I have some AGoT sets and I really like that. Some of the most beautiful art in a game, fits the setting perfectly. Both 2-player and multiplayer are quite fascinating. Core Set is a good value for money, lots of replayability and some chance for deckbuilding if you trim the decks down by a few cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got & played both CoC & W:I. W:I is the beter of the two & has seen a lot more play.

CoC is also very good, but it's a bit more fiddly & time-consuming because of the way resources are handled by putting a card under each domain, also there's a heck of a lot more keywords that need to be considered which slows the game down a bit more compared to W:I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Blaskowitz
United States
manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
I'm going to buy all three base sets and see which one sticks, I think. Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sleaze
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imho CoC is better than Invasion, much deeper gameplay and more chance for intresting tactics and difficult choices, and i like the theme a lot more.

I did not play aGoT, so i canĀ“t tell anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently bought and played all three.

Here are my brief thoughts...

1. Warhammer Invasion:
This is IMO the most straight forward of the three. You have 3 staging areas... you load them with fighters and support and defend them. You attack from one of the three, the Battlefield.

They really nailed the races here... Orcs are straight forward smash your opponent. Empire is defense, defense, defense. Chaos is all about corrupting others and gaining power from that, and Dwarves are a dangerous mix of attack and defense... etc.

Out of the three LCGs, when Im in the mood for a straight up competitive card game, this is the one that scratches the itch.

2. Call of Cthulhu:
This is the thinky one. There are a lot more subtle tactics here. You are fighting for Stories (cards that require 5 investigation tokens on them to win) and competition in this is more about timing and waiting for the right moment to pounce. There are 7 factions and they are all pretty unique... each has its strengths and it's weaknesses..
In this game there are 4 steps to each conflict; Terror, combat, arcane and investigation... you usually can't win them all, so your looking for the best combination of cards available to you to be competitive.

When I want to try to out think and out-hand-manage my friends, I go for this one.

3. Game of Thrones:
The game play really embodies the world of A Song of Fire and Ice. Each 'House' deck, at least out of the box, really seems to be good at what epitomizes the families from the story. My one caution to new comers is this;
I don't think this plays well with two, at least initially or in starter form. Each of the decks is really good at one thing and in my inital games, the first deck to get that thing going was a sure winner.

This game will shine with multiple players... and is the only one of the three to do so.

Overall, I really think FFG is great at sucking the theme out of these properties and using it to build an enjoyable card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still interested in the OP's question, and I've played all three!

They all share some common traits, almost as if there's an ur-LCG in Lang's head, and though each is a distinct instantiation, you can feel the same sorts of things going on in play. The one thing I don't like so much about all of them is how open the information is: there's usually a straight, raw calculation to be performed, so you do the math and your choice results. Not much room for intuition or shades of gray, hedging bets, etc.

With that in mind, the one I like the best mechanically is Warhammer: Invasion; it feels more polished (and should, being more recent). There are more sacrificial effects and "mobility" choices that make the info more cloudy. I also like that it's built from the ground up as a drafting, "contained" game (the other two came out of a CCG lineage).

I agree with the above opinion that AGOT seems better for multiplayer (I've only played with two). With two, there are a lot of unused levers lying around, which I never like in any game. But I love the plot card idea, the "setting the stage".

Call of Cthulhu is the one that I really want to like, but I still can't get around how open and calculable things are. Can he defend? Then don't commit. And so on, back and forth. It gets more interesting when there are sacrifices (he can defend, and I'll lose this guy, but I'll get two story points; is that worth it?) but those are, in my admittedly limited experience, less common than the raw calc turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree with your take on the calculations in CoC... but I think that brings some good tension... it really emphasizes the timing..

My suspicion is that the veteran players have more of a build up period with lots of opportunities...

Right now for me... it's more of a chess match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.