Andrew Wheeland
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
A video podcast about fun and games with friends! - www.gamebreakpodcast.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, BGGers... I wanted to let you all know about the first episode of a new video podcast about board games called "GameBreak". I am one of the co-hosts (and the bigger game afficionado) and my co-host Paul is a videographer, so he edits the episodes. We have already filmed 3 full episodes (and a couple of test episodes) and are on a nice production schedule/rhythm.

While, I'm not a hard-core gamer, I'm a big game collector and have about 900 games... I am on BGG with the username dccircuit and love the site, and while I don't tend to dwell in the forums much, I try to contribute to the site through posting info into the database, etc. (and of course we give BGG a good chunk of attention).

We're trying to go for a style of podcast that might be of interest to people who aren't already deep into gaming. We talk about game concepts, what we've played ourselves, some 'overview' style reviews, etc. We also try to explore the space between board games and video games a bit, but we mostly stick to board games. We expect to transform (in show structure as well as skills) over time.

We hope you'll enjoy our first go of it and we really welcome the feedback (pro and con)... We know the show won't be everyone's bag, but if you think we should do more of something and less of something else, please tell us so that we can make the show better! Comments (call-in, online, emailed, facebook, etc) all greatly appreciated.

Here is the embedded video version of the episode:

Visit the website at: http://gamebreakpodcast.com to subscribe to the podcast, read show notes, comment on the episode, send other feedback, find our facebook fan page, etc.

(I'm also happy to read comments right here... :-) )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Looks interesting. I'm not really interested in watching a long form video podcast--I barely take the time to watch video reviews. However, in scrubbing through your show, it looks like something I would be interested in listening to. Could you offer an audio version too with an RSS feed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Chapin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest with no disrespect intended, I sat through over 10 minutes of boring video before giving up. Maybe you said something interesting eventually, but this is not the sort of show I feel compelled to tune into. I felt it was more of a personal blog and not a focus on games. Perhaps that changed after 10 minutes, but I feel 10 minutes was ample time to grab my interest. I am only one person, but if I were to give advice it would be this: Get straight to the point on the games, and leave out inside jokes that nobody will get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Willems
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job you guys! I think you both have a good rapport with each other, and I like the more relaxed approach. I would say that the show as a whole could be tightened up a lot. It would be fine as a 30 minute program. With video you want to see more than just talking heads. A regular podcast could stretch out a bit more in terms of time, but I would say for the video stuff to keep it on the shorter side. As a positive, I really like seeing you guys explain and then actually play a bit of the games. Seeing that interaction I have to say is the most unique aspect of this video for me. Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would rather you did audio than video. I don't have the bandwidth or attention span to sit through a long video. Most netcasts I listen to are background noise for whatever I'm primarily doing (driving, painting, etc..)

Also, don't bother with taking calls, I cringe and flip the channel whenever I hear one on the radio. Callers rarely add value, whether asking a irrelevant question or being a sycophant, I really don't understand the attraction. In addition, in as niche as our hobby can be, you can easily get the same guy calling in all the time. I'm not interested in that guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for going to the effort of making it. I know how much work this stuff takes. I generally agree with the others here, I tend to think video reviews either work better as shorter segments or perhaps with a long segment if the content is strong enough. I also agree that for a kind of chatty style of show audio podcasting tends to work much better. Also given the hugely long into (about a third of your total run time), it would have been good to have a run down of what you would be talking about, as that might have kept my interest, if I knew there was something I wanted to hear about later. I'm obviously not your target market, I'm on the hard core end of gamers, so I wouldn't take my opinions too seriously, I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PERSONAL OPINION ALERT!
Please feel free to ignore my humble and practically worthless opinions.

POSITIVE:
+ Camera moves around, nice top down board-shots.
+ Good use of pop-ups such as videos and images.
+ Nice to see you using notes which helps to prevent too much umming and erring.

NEGATIVE:
+ Too long.
+ Too pondersome, not enough dynamism.
+ Phones on the desk (why?!) - flashing the iphone (loads of people have iphones so I never understand why people still show off theirs as if it's a status symbol or something).
+ I shudder when people start talking about the size of their games collections and dismiss other "types" of gamers (such as your seemingly semi-smug statement that you're not one of those hardcore gamers who plays all the time....Clearly you have far better things to do.)

Don't take my personal opinion as any kind of intelligent comment on your video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take this as a "zero" episode.

Let us see what it develops to ninja

Good video by the way! (With all the caveats that the others mentioned...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Given that it was a first cut, I really liked it. Don't let some of these posters steer you wrong. The jokes and banter added some personality to the show and though they could be trimmed down some, in general I liked the atmosphere it created.

I also like the idea of a longer video podcast. It is a bit annoying to turn on a podcast and then have to start looking for something else to listen to almost immediately. Besides, why on earth would you want to do exactly what everyone else is doing? Try to fill a new niche. A nice idea might be cut the podcast into sections/segments of lengths typical to a "normal" video cast so people can listen in sections if they want content in smaller bites.

All in all, good work gents. Don't let a few complainers stop you from doing something that you want to do and is also pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wheeland
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
A video podcast about fun and games with friends! - www.gamebreakpodcast.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, everyone!

I just wanted to come back and say thank you for all of your comments and for checking out that first episode. We've actually kept on going and have made more episodes (the critical comments didn't dissuade us!)... Actually, we're up to Episode 6 now and have 3 more that are waiting to be edited and posted.

Just wanted to respond to a couple of comments:

1. Long form video: We are limiting our shows to roughly the length of one Mini DV tape... When the main camera begins to blink, that's our cute to make sure we wrap it up. We think this longer length show lets us cover a single topic with enough examples and two fairly thorough demos.

2. Audio version: Thanks to your suggestions here, we have an Audio-only version available. We think that the video version is better because it allows us to actually show you the boards/pieces, etc as well as to see our expressions and other antics, but for those of you driving a car who just enjoy hearing us talk, you're welcome to it. Visit the http://www.gamebreakpodcast.com site and click on the Audio version RSS feed.

3. Lots of discussion at the beginning: There was more discussion at the beginning of this particular episode in an effort to introduce ourselves, but we do intend to spend time each episode having some chit-chat, joking around, and talking about our recent game-plays and other interests. Part of our show was influenced by the "two guys on a couch" genre of podcasting... Might not be for everyone, but we think it's kinda casual and fun... Some people might even tune in just for that aspect of it.

4. Taking callers: We don't intend to make them a priority of the show, as in... We aren't going to base our shows solely on what the callers want to talk about, but we'd like to incorporate user-generated calls, say, at the end of the show (Episode 6 has one), or take a snippet of feedback and play it at the beginning of an episode with our response, etc. So far, no worries, since we haven't really gotten many callers... :-)

5. A run-down of what will be on the show: We intend to have a theme for each show, so that may help, but when the podcast is released, there will be show notes for each episode... These can be another good indicator about whether or not a particular episode will be of interest to you.

6. Make it more dynamic: Working on it... We're trying to get comfortable with what we're really doing. I think you'll see that we loosen up a bit as the episodes go on.

7. Phones: That's just a little bit of who we are, we both carry them everywhere and use them extensively... Also, part of our intent is to talk about electronic and online games at times... Especially the ones that blur the boundaries between board game and video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.