Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently working in a full new mod, and I'm willing to implement a nice variant.

In the armies there will be cards that CAN'T stack toguether in a unit... think for example in a tactical level WWII mod (1 card=1 squad) you probably will form units with individual land vehicles and squads... but you'll not form a unit with a King Tiger a Stuka and a Bf-109! One is a tank and the other two planes.
It can make sense if it is an armored battalion with a dedicated flight group... but for single vehicles and squads they must not mix up! (imho).

So I probably will try something with my custom armies... some of the cards will represent different a different concep of units, they fight different, the size is different and even the battle order is different, so that "special" cards can form units within them but can't cope up with the others (and vice versa).

To be able to do that with a simple glance the cards of that different group will be done LANDSCAPE instead of PORTRAIT.

In my case the "landscaped" special cards are units much bigger (and longer) than regular so... having a wider layout allows me to put there a bigger artwork.

If I work on it I'll release a beta testing pack soon (a couple of days), the stats are already done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landscape and portrait only give you a maximum of two groups. You might consider some sort of code on the troops themselves so that you could have more. For example, I can imagine that eventually you might want to have elephants, which certainly won't want to stack with horses or perhaps even infantry other than skirmishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is no need of more than two uncompatible type of troops within an army... having more than that seem useless to me in an army that goes for only 30 cards...

Imagine for example a "Tactical Pacific Front" module, Tanks, soldier squads, and specialized infantry can sum altoghether in the same unit, if you want to focus on air units... you can form units (wings) with a couple or three plane cards but they will not fly tree top level at the same speed and taking the same actions as a group of three marines with a browning machinegun (is a concept nonsense).
Well, you have planes and groundtroops but you can say "what about large ships?"... well, you can have ship support but will the ship if you're focused on ground fight (module should focus on who will be the cannon fodder) have a FV greater than 1? I think it won't!
Maybe you can say "hey! the ship could be a pocket battleship with scort planes so it'll have to form a unit with planes!"... again the answer is no... If you've to protect your floating artillery... the ship will not charge! the planes will have to "intercept" charging units instead... probably the charging units will be other planes... or maybe tanks (or infantry with support weapons) firing from the shore... so, the fighter wing will intercept (not form a unit with the ship).

That's why having no more than two unit types, portrait and landscape, that's a difference VERY easy to see quickly not going for a small number or sign in the card (small card). In the case of big units, like elephants or extremely specialized units... they'll probably have a FV of 1 or even be able to stack in a unit with other troops... hum... for me two is enough!

Sorry for that wholalotta'o'words...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking there could be more. For example:

infantry
cavalry
elephants

I can envision that skirmishers could be part of each group, but that you probably wouldn't have heavy infantry mixing with cavalry or elephants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But that's the premise of the game in Celts vs. Romans... They combine!, maybe I'm thinking about huge speed, attack methods and C3 structure differences... not aplicable up to 20th century and future wars...

Anyway your point is valid for some conceptions of possible "mods", so, the most elegant method could be a highly visible shape for every "special" group (Green dot, blue triangle, yellow square... etc) between FV and Wounds

I'll try with portrait and landscape for my (first) mod.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An example:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sI1hcfWwSshV16_khEYNzw?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.