Gerald Cameron
Canada
Unspecified
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weeks avatar is The Oak at Flagey (The Oak of Vercingetorix) by Marc Chagall.

Chagall, a Byelorussian born under the rule of the Russian czars, went on to become one of the premiere painters of the surrealist school, but The Oak at Flagey actually predates that, having been painted in 1864 (the surrealist movement was founded in 1917, and Chagall wasn't one of its founders). I just like the romantic, primal glory of nature feel of this one. It is, in many ways, a depiction of the Ur-Tree which is probably more familiar from Norse mythology in the form of Ygdrassil (although Joseph Campbell fans will know that world trees are a recurring image throughout human culture).

UPDATE: As MisterCranky has pointed out below, The Oak at Flagey was painted about 15 years before Marc Chagall was born, which would be a truly amazing feat. Unfortunately for M. Chagall's posterity, this is not quite the case. The Oak at Flagey is, in fact, the work of Gustave Courbet.

I honestly don't know how I made that screw up (aside from the fact that both artists names start with a C). Ah well, I never claimed to be perfect.

Next week, a REAL Chagall (I hope) to make up for this slight. I promise there will be floating people (or at least a floating person) next time, Ludocrazy.

I thought the Oak was a pretty radical departure from his later work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chagall on Prozac
That's all well and good, but where's the violin-playing goat? Where are the people who defy gravity? Where are the giant swaths of cerulean blue?

I'll never forget seeing real Chagall's in person for the first time at the Guggenheim when I went there for my Modern Art History class in college. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I can say...
Hello Dali?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't think he was one of the founding surrealists?
I think he was pretty friggin' surreal to paint a picture 23 years before his own birth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, because to quote Notting Hill: Happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.