United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Folks,

Since I got my new Android phone (a Motorola Cliq) about a month ago, I've been all about finding new and exciting programs in the App Market.

Here are some of my favorites, please, please, please, list yours!
(All of these are Free! Feel free to list paid apps, just note as much in your description!)

Gmote: Install the App on your phone, and the Server on your computer. Let's you use your phone as a remote control - launch a movie/music player, skip forward and back, even use it as a remote touchpad to move the mouse around!

ColorNote: Nice notepad type program which when coupled with a dictionary file (ColorDict) makes for a nice little program.

DroidDice: Simple multi-sided dice app for when real dice aren't available.

Movie Free: A Personal Movie Collection db. Install the Barcode Scanner and you can scan DVDs into your collection.
I've been looking for something like this forever!

Bump:Let's you transfer Contacts, Pictures, and Apps to another Android phone with Bump installed, just my "bumping" the phones together. (I almost didn't put this one on my list because it can be a little wonky, but the novelty of it won out.)

Bubble Defense: Simple tower defense style game. I play this a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion Shuffle is an easy way to pick cards for a game of Dominion.

Robo Defense is my choice for a tower defense game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shazam is neat as all get-out.
OSMonitor is the best system status app I've found (but maybe you need to be an old Linux programmer to appreciate it)
Carrr Matey is hilarious and useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a Cliq, and these are some apps I like:

Advanced Task Killer - most apps stay open and continue to use your memory once you open them once. This app is basically a quick and easy way to close apps you're not using. I believe it has helped my battery last longer.

Ringdroid - make ringtones from your own MP3s. Lets you cut out a specific section of the mp3.

Opera Mini browser - this browser is WAY faster than the standard Android browser. It has made internet surfing on the phone much more enjoyable (less painful).

EDIT: forgot to mention these are all free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here're a couple more I've been playing with lately:

Missile Shield: A pretty awesome touch screen version of the classic Missile Command game.

Spark (XBox Live client): Lets you send and receive messages with your Live contacts, as well as browse through your played games and achievements.

BoardGameGeek: Written, I believe, by a user here, this app lets you search games for summary info, statistical data, designer/artists/publisher info, important links, and best number of players polls... It's pretty slick - the only thing missing is the ability to log plays. That would make this app perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandora Radio: I don't listen to the radio, CDs, or MP3s any more, all my music needs are met by the free Pandora app.

BGG Mobile: Does everything the BoardGameGeek app does, and lets you log plays.

Google Listen: Podcast app. Lets you subscribe to podcasts and download them over the air.

Yelp: Find nearby restaurants, and also find out whether or not they suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:

Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
Phrim wrote:

Awesome!

The current ratings say it's buggy. Has it been improved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Quixote171 wrote:
Phrim wrote:

Awesome!

From my experience, the usefulness of the program outweighs the bugs it may have. Stuff I've noticed:

- Apparently, it doesn't handle spaces in usernames. I understand this can be fixed by replacing the space with a %20.
- Suggested number of players didn't work correctly last time I checked, but it might have been fixed.
- Don't try to search for Ra.

The program has never force-closed on me, and I haven't had any issues with syncing (though if you update your collection on BGG, you may have to re-sync manually). I most use it for play-logging. FYI, I'm using a Droid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:

Funny - that was the first game I searched for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
My Samsung phone died and I got a replacement with the Droid Devour for $70. I don't need all the bells and whistles but I was going to get a GPS navigator anyhow and this does the trick. I also do a lot of buying used records and other stuff at shows, thrift stores, flea markets etc... I always use my best judgment but it will be handy to be able to search stuff on the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrim wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
Quixote171 wrote:
Phrim wrote:

Awesome!

From my experience, the usefulness of the program outweighs the bugs it may have. Stuff I've noticed:

- Apparently, it doesn't handle spaces in usernames. I understand this can be fixed by replacing the space with a %20.
- Suggested number of players didn't work correctly last time I checked, but it might have been fixed.

The program has never force-closed on me, and I haven't had any issues with syncing (though if you update your collection on BGG, you may have to re-sync manually). I most use it for play-logging. FYI, I'm using a Droid.

I've installed it twice now, and each time I've had multiple force-closings in the first five minutes of use (not exaggerating). It usually comes when opening a game. The app hangs at the parsing message, then closes. I've also had it close when retrieving developer info and my collection info.

Additionally, it wouldn't retrieve my entire collection. It only grabbed the R - Z entries.

I'm using an HTC Incredible.

EDIT: To clarify, this was all today after hearing about it for the first time in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the BGG Mobile app. It wouldn't let me log in. I tried several times, and I'm sure that the password and user name was correct in at least some of them.

My guess is that not only does it choke when it sees a space in the user name, but I have punctuation in my password that probably is giving it trouble.

Overall, I'd say this app isn't ready for release yet. Don't bother until you hear that the bugs are fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose instead of just complaining about apps, I could add some of my favorites:

Cestos: Online marble battling goodness. Includes "Feats" (aka Achievements) that unlock additional customizations for your marble warrior.

AppBrain Market Sync: Syncs with http://appbrain.com. Allows you to browse the marketplace online and queue up apps to install on your device. Additionally handy if you ever need to hard reset your device by allowing you to quickly reinstall all items you had prior to the reset.

iDealyzer: Listing of several deal-a-day website offerings including Woot.

Zombie, Run!: GPS enabled game in which you pick a destination on a real-time map, then must arrive at it safely. Zombies are randomly placed on the map and pursue you as you approach them. It's a neat gimmick.

EasyMoney: Good finance app to keep track of your money.

Aldiko Book Reader: eBook reader including a directory of free public domain books you can download. Works great if not for the small screen on my device.

FolderOrganizer lite: Allows you to quickly categorize applications, then add the categories to your homescreens as a folder. Much easier then the standard Android folder setup.

Scorer: The Score Keeper: Basic score keeping application. Functional, but not amazing by any stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Scorer: The Score Keeper: Basic score keeping application. Functional, but not amazing by any stretch.
"Scorer" sucks. Try "Game Counter." Much better. It keeps a list of the score changes over time.

I like Aldiko also. I read Moby Dick on it, now moving on to Frankenstein.

I'll have to try the rest of your recommendations. But I'll add "Hexalogic" as a cute little game/puzzle thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Progmode wrote:
"Scorer" sucks. Try "Game Counter." Much better. It keeps a list of the score changes over time.

I'll have to try the rest of your recommendations. But I'll add "Hexalogic" as a cute little game/puzzle thing.

I've got Game Counter as well. I just haven't used it in practice yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using Laputa II for an ebook reader. It's really easy to make books for it from text, so I have At the Mountains of Madness and Neuromancer on it, waiting to be read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Progmode wrote:

I had a chance to use Game Counter last night while playing Lost Cities. I like it, but it force-closed on me several times. Grr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Progmode wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Progmode wrote:

I had a chance to use Game Counter last night while playing Lost Cities. I like it, but it force-closed on me several times. Grr.

I contacted the developer with steps to replicate to crash. He was able to do so and will issue a fix in the next update. It was caused by removing players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G.
United States
Toney
Alabama
flag msg tools
FINISH HIM!
badge
Go Tigers!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a couple I think are really great:

Mobile Defense - Great security app to remotely protect/locate your phone in case it's ever misplaced or stolen. http://www.mobiledefense.com

Movies (Flixster) - Reviews, trailers, nearby theatres and showtimes.

Battery Widget (mippin.com) - Nice to see actual battery % on the home screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Progmode wrote:
Progmode wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Progmode wrote:

I contacted the developer with steps to replicate to crash. He was able to do so and will issue a fix in the next update. It was caused by removing players.

An update was issued recently that fixed the issue I contacted the developer about as well as a few more features. I'm extremely pleased with Game Counter now.

An additional app I've been enjoying is:

360 Camera: A robust replacement camera app that includes a gaggle of options including many special effects including color enhancement, LOMO, and HDR as well as sillier modes like vertical /horizontal symmetry and pencil sketch. It absolutely blows the standard Android app out of the water IMHO. Available in a free ad supported version, or an ad free version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of new (free) apps I've been playing with:

Pirates and Traders - found out about this one here on the Geek. It's pretty entertaining. I spent most of last weekend fiddling around with this one - got my Pirate to the point where I could capture any other ship in one attack. Trying again on a harder difficulty setting.

Space Trader - A lot like the above game, without the option to be a pirate. Also fairly entertaining.

Bistro Cook - Frantic meal preparation / time management.

Golf Solitaire Free - Pretty typical standard deck card game, but the implementation is flawless. The ad is so unobtrusive as to be almost not there at all.

Cribbage Pro - A decent implementation, but I really like having the option to count my hand manually - you can even set it to take the points you missed for the other player - if it would only it drink Canadian Club and clean its ears with its keys it'd be just like playing with my Grandfather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Flinn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Sustained
mbmbmbmbmb
Embargo: Only in beta. Talk of internet multiplayer and other features, to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first app using google app inventor. It's a no frills Score keeping app, but it fills the spot that the other score keeping apps don't for me.
Once twitter support is fixed, I'll have it posting scores to twitter if you so desire, and next version I should be able to work out the bugs I had with TinyDB to get the record of past users to work correctly.

Anyway, check it out, and geekmail me if you have questions/comments/suggestions.

You can download it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/126744/Scorerator_5000.apk

Or just scan this nifty thing in your favorite barcode reader app:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortyz - probably the best crossword program ever written on any platform (better with hardware keyboard)

Easy Scorecard - fantastic golf (including disc golf) score keeper.

SportsTap - quick, clean sports score updates.

For quick, good puzzle games--pretty much all the games by this guy:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.